The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peppercrunch
It was difficult. What did people say for the 15 marker for energy about TNCs?

I defined what one was.

talked about BP : Exploration , production and marketing and gave facts - the monoply effect of TNC's and their transport links e.g BP and pipelines

Then mentioned the fact that countries are becoming self sufficient and looking at options such as fracking for shale gas in USA and wind

Then rambled on about how BP is dominant xD
Original post by crcrcrcrcr
Well i didn't draw anything in the box as I didn't think we need too haha, I though what's the point if I've written all about it right aftwerwards, but i was sorta time pressured by the end so im glad i didnt draw anything

Oh... so the drawing box was there just as an 'option'? The question was kinda worded like 'with the help of a diagram' explain whatever about meanders...

I think? I might be wrong.

One question could've been to just draw a meandering river, and then the next one to explain a meander ...

Damn it, anyone know what the meandering rivers question set was???
Original post by GraceJLewis18
Did you include figures for how much discharge changed and things from fieldwork? I wasnt sure whether to include them.. this was a resit for me..

No, anything from fieldwork is unit 2:smile:
Original post by SubwayLover1
I defined what one was.

talked about BP : Exploration , production and marketing and gave facts - the monoply effect of TNC's and their transport links e.g BP and pipelines

Then mentioned the fact that countries are becoming self sufficient and looking at options such as fracking for shale gas in USA and wind

Then rambled on about how BP is dominant xD

Oh damn. I didn't write a thing about countries becoming self sufficient, but I didn't have time as I had one minute left when I finished.

I wrote about the BP pipelines, refineries, oil rigs, cargo ships etc.
I hope the grade boundaries won't be ridiculously high as it was high 60's last year I think.
Oh damn. I didn't write a thing about countries becoming self sufficient, but I didn't have time as I had one minute left when I finished.

I wrote about the BP pipelines, refineries, oil rigs, cargo ships etc.
I hope the grade boundaries won't be ridiculously high as it was high 60's last year I think.

Yeey! I mention mentioned fraction fractional distillation and pipelines
I didn't write a whole lot of TNC tobacco in health but generally was alright, i tried talking about the main issues and answer the question properly with reference to ob creation but the state of workers are victums to violence, ect ect.
For pop, I talked predominantly about internal migration and pull/push factors of domestic migration. not really immigration :/
i liked the river 15 marker. i basically went in chronological order about the processes of the long profile, from the upper --> lower. everything i could think of that effected it and why and how. also the gradient and velocity. also the bradshaw model, plus kinetic energy. the cross profile was on my answer alot as well. hope for good marks. For what is a drainage basin i wrote: it is an open system... bla bla bla and said inputs and outputs and watershed is what separates each drainage basin. doubt ill get 2 marks for that, i hope though.
for the coast question, i used sea walls and said everything i can think of for them. next paragraph WAIT... F*CK! I FORGET TO DEFINE Hard Engineering! ffs!! well i used gabions and said everything about them, like cost and examples of each. Then i said its very common for a coast to use both of these and explained why and cost effective plus cheaper and easier.
Coast Japan article i literally lifted data from it and said this and this is the consequence and because of this and this cholera outbreak possible and conflict between food ect ect. i wrote alot on that 7 marker i think?
I did ****e for the Rias question.
the causes of coast flooding i wrote about the tsunami one. outlined the plates, the magnitude, the countries affected, earthquake. DAMN lol, i forgot to mention that it was a SUBMARINE earthquake (4 marks)
population had an easy first 5 marks on the DTM. Then i put Germany as a stage 4? i described it as clear due to low birth and death but is transitioning into stage 5, decline.
rivers, outputs i talked about evaporation, evaportranspiration and for some reason, tributaries, 3 marks.
the picture of the river i said: meander, flood plain, river bluffs, levees, the point bar has sediment deposited on it being shallow. the actual explain Meander was complicated, i wrote alot and think it was good.
Original post by yellowdiamond
How do you know that's what they want? They didn't say anything about host and source country. I mean it would probably add to answer if you include that but doesn't mean you can't get full marks without it. What do you reckon?

It's just my opinion that it's much safer to talk about a variety of cases and countries, not only about immigration to the UK, to get full marks.

I suppose that if you somehow managed to include enough analysis and enough knowledge about immigration to the UK they'll be compelled to offer you the marks. But it's doubtful you can write enough for a 15 marker on just that one 'topic' without repeating yourself, etc.

But yeah, it's very possible you could get full marks for it, if you're confident you really did add in some diversity and just good knowledge/analysis.
Original post by Caius Filimon G
Oh... so the drawing box was there just as an 'option'? The question was kinda worded like 'with the help of a diagram' explain whatever about meanders...

I think? I might be wrong.

One question could've been to just draw a meandering river, and then the next one to explain a meander ...

Damn it, anyone know what the meandering rivers question set was???

I thought you had to draw a diagram ... I just saw the box and didn't want to leave it empty and I think it contributed towards the marks ...
I don't know
Original post by Caius Filimon G
It's just my opinion that it's much safer to talk about a variety of cases and countries, not only about immigration to the UK, to get full marks.

I suppose that if you somehow managed to include enough analysis and enough knowledge about immigration to the UK they'll be compelled to offer you the marks. But it's doubtful you can write enough for a 15 marker on just that one 'topic' without repeating yourself, etc.

But yeah, it's very possible you could get full marks for it, if you're confident you really did add in some diversity and just good knowledge/analysis.

It did say "in the UK" so that's the only case study I talked about
Original post by Heather_lauren
I thought you had to draw a diagram ... I just saw the box and didn't want to leave it empty and I think it contributed towards the marks ...
I don't know

Yup, same here. Too bad I drew a crappy top-down river with the only real distinguishable features being the sediment on the inside slopes and the over eroded outward slopes :/ However I think we were, indeed, just supposed to draw it how one sees it. Namely, without riffles or pools or whatever. Meh.
It did say "in the UK" so that's the only case study I talked about

Wait. wat?
The 15 MARKER FOR POPULATION asked us to talk about migration ONLY REGARDING THE UK????
For the 15 marker population one, it said resources. Resources include stuff like education, energy, health etc right? :colonhash:
Original post by Velocity_
I didn't write a whole lot of TNC tobacco in health but generally was alright, i tried talking about the main issues and answer the question properly with reference to ob creation but the state of workers are victums to violence, ect ect.
For pop, I talked predominantly about internal migration and pull/push factors of domestic migration. not really immigration :/
i liked the river 15 marker. i basically went in chronological order about the processes of the long profile, from the upper --> lower. everything i could think of that effected it and why and how. also the gradient and velocity. also the bradshaw model, plus kinetic energy. the cross profile was on my answer alot as well. hope for good marks. For what is a drainage basin i wrote: it is an open system... bla bla bla and said inputs and outputs and watershed is what separates each drainage basin. doubt ill get 2 marks for that, i hope though.
for the coast question, i used sea walls and said everything i can think of for them. next paragraph WAIT... F*CK! I FORGET TO DEFINE Hard Engineering! ffs!! well i used gabions and said everything about them, like cost and examples of each. Then i said its very common for a coast to use both of these and explained why and cost effective plus cheaper and easier.
Coast Japan article i literally lifted data from it and said this and this is the consequence and because of this and this cholera outbreak possible and conflict between food ect ect. i wrote alot on that 7 marker i think?
I did ****e for the Rias question.
the causes of coast flooding i wrote about the tsunami one. outlined the plates, the magnitude, the countries affected, earthquake. DAMN lol, i forgot to mention that it was a SUBMARINE earthquake (4 marks)
population had an easy first 5 marks on the DTM. Then i put Germany as a stage 4? i described it as clear due to low birth and death but is transitioning into stage 5, decline.
rivers, outputs i talked about evaporation, evaportranspiration and for some reason, tributaries, 3 marks.
the picture of the river i said: meander, flood plain, river bluffs, levees, the point bar has sediment deposited on it being shallow. the actual explain Meander was complicated, i wrote alot and think it was good.

i put Germany in stage 4 too as stage 5 sounded to defiant of an 'efficient equal country'.
I also talked ahoy the same outputs for the rivers question, I only main,y talked about the extensive flood plain and meander though :/
What did people put for the climate of hot deserts?
For the 15 marker population one, it said resources. Resources include stuff like education, energy, health etc right? :colonhash:

Yes :smile:

Resources is quite subjective so I basically said resources like school place can easily be replaced. And resources like oil were going to run out inevitably so it doesn't really matter. I also question sustainability, I think that's right.
I talked about polish moving to the uk and how this would have an effect on both Poland and the UK for the 15 migration question. Is this ok?
What did everyone say on the picture of a meander or glacier. I mean 4 marks each and it's a describe question as well.
Yes :smile:

Phew. happy that I didn't mess that up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending