The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JStaples
For the population 15 marker could you have mentioned Malthus or Boserup?

Yah I think u could use those, quite a few people here did.
is anyone thinking of resitting this exam if they don't do as well as hoped? I was actually aiming for full UMS since geography is my best subject and I want to do it at uni, but completely messed up this exam, making mistakes on almost every question..
now if I don't get an A or at the very least a high B I'm thinking about retaking it.. but the only problem is that because this exam is so so content heavy, it might be too much with taking A2 exams aswell? Nevermind anyother resits I might want to take? Whats everyones opinion? Obviously not making any decisions until results but i really think this exam went badly as i got the wrong end of the stick on a LOT of questions and in the panic of exam mode I did things like not referring to the table figs and i didnt explain processes, only stated them so probably dropped a LOT of marks.. so just thinking ahead - opinions on resits?
Reply 1382
Original post by Gr8banterm9
Geog1 is easy grade boundaries are like 60% for an A, did it last year.

Your username sums everything up :biggrin: The paper was relatively simple but I as usual struggled with making comparisons and describing data which sucks for me
Original post by hannb98
no i still think there was river terraces in the rivers section! a couple of people wrote about that at my school ??

Nah I really don't think that was a rejuvenated river in the photograph
Thought I did bad last year, came out with 185/200 UMS
Original post by yellowdiamond

well i didnt get that it was while i was in there, but the land mass at the back was stepped like a river terrace?
Original post by 4amin
Holy hell the suspense is real in this forum :biggrin: sorry guys didn't mean to cause panic ..... hahahah

I feel u man, u can cut the suspense with a knife lol
Does anyone that the grade boundaries will be fairly high this year? Or will it be lower?
For the population question on migration, do yo think you could still get the marks for urban to rural migration and vice versa?
Original post by Gr8banterm9
Thought I did bad last year, came out with 185/200 UMS

Wow thats really good
Original post by hannb98
is anyone thinking of resitting this exam if they don't do as well as hoped? I was actually aiming for full UMS since geography is my best subject and I want to do it at uni, but completely messed up this exam, making mistakes on almost every question..
now if I don't get an A or at the very least a high B I'm thinking about retaking it.. but the only problem is that because this exam is so so content heavy, it might be too much with taking A2 exams aswell? Nevermind anyother resits I might want to take? Whats everyones opinion? Obviously not making any decisions until results but i really think this exam went badly as i got the wrong end of the stick on a LOT of questions and in the panic of exam mode I did things like not referring to the table figs and i didnt explain processes, only stated them so probably dropped a LOT of marks.. so just thinking ahead - opinions on resits?

Well I was thinking the same thing tbh. Im only doing 3 subjects, so I can't be messing up. If I do bad like get below a C, I shall retake in A2, as I can't drop a subject anyways, but We'll have to learn double the content, and do the exam. However, geography in AS has so many things to learn, it'll be hard resitting that whilst learning A2 geography. So not quite sure lol
Reply 1391
Original post by yoyoabc
For the population question on migration, do yo think you could still get the marks for urban to rural migration and vice versa?

Possibly some marks for the impacts but probably none on the population structure part as internal migration does not lead to national changes in the population structure
Anyone else thought that the river section resembled the jan 2011 paper? http://www.geographylwc.org.uk/A/AS/pastpapers/jan11/AQA-GEOG1-W-QP-Jan11[1].pdf
Original post by Peppercrunch
Yay! Happy to hear that I wasn't the only person who said it :biggrin:

Me tooooo
Original post by yellowdiamond

It was a normal meander, our rivers teacher got the paper and told us :smile:
Geography exams be like, spot the fluvioglacial landforms: http://minnesotabrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sasquatch1.jpg
Original post by GreenNinjaa
Well I was thinking the same thing tbh. Im only doing 3 subjects, so I can't be messing up. If I do bad like get below a C, I shall retake in A2, as I can't drop a subject anyways, but We'll have to learn double the content, and do the exam. However, geography in AS has so many things to learn, it'll be hard resitting that whilst learning A2 geography. So not quite sure lol

i know thats why im so worried, that there will be too much work? But my teacher wanted me to get full UMS which i wont reach now which is disappointing since Ive got secure As throughout the year, and since i got full UMS at GCSE!! So really a high B is as low as i want to go to give me a chance of getting an a/a* next year
Original post by hannb98
no i still think there was river terraces in the rivers section! a couple of people wrote about that at my school ??

there definitely wasnt it was flat land i did;
point bar
river cliff
meander ofc
floodplain
4 descriptions for 4 marks
Original post by hannb98

Yah I same here when I was doing the exam a felt more confident but now looking back I feel like I did mess up on quite a few qs eg. I had not revised meanders all I knew was erosion on the outside bend deposition on the inside lol nd for that 15 mark in pop. I wrote about transmigration
Original post by yoyoabc

Did you talk about it on a national scale because it said national in the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending