The Student Room Group

Speaking Exam- how to de-stress?

During my mock, before my speaking exam, I nearly fainted because I was so stressed out about the speaking- this sounds GROSS but I was sweating so much and my face (I'm pretty sure) was red throughout. At the end, I got full marks (woohoo!!) but I want to know if there are ways to prevent the whole stress thing. It's awful, and I don't want this to affect my real speaking :frown:
Original post by lucie18
During my mock, before my speaking exam, I nearly fainted because I was so stressed out about the speaking- this sounds GROSS but I was sweating so much and my face (I'm pretty sure) was red throughout. At the end, I got full marks (woohoo!!) but I want to know if there are ways to prevent the whole stress thing. It's awful, and I don't want this to affect my real speaking :frown:

It's quite normal to be really stressed before an oral exam! And congratulations on having done so well - hopefully that, in itself, will help you feel less stressed next time.

What you can do to de-stress is straightforward relaxation exercises. There's lots of advice on the internet about that; just get a couple of exercises you're comfortable with and do them regularly for practice. Then, on the day, if you're really stressed, you can do these exercises (they should only take a few minutes when you know what you're doing) to calm down.

If you nearly fainted, you were probably hyperventilating a bit, so I'd suggest you start with learning to control your breathing.
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Schoon
It's quite normal to be really stressed before an oral exam! And congratulations on having done so well - hopefully that, in itself, will help you feel less stressed next time.

What you can do to de-stress is straightforward relaxation exercises. There's lots of advice on the internet about that; just get a couple of exercises you're comfortable with and do them regularly for practice. Then, on the day, if you're really stressed, you can do these exercises (they should only take a few minutes when you know what you're doing) to calm down.

If you nearly fainted, you were probably hyperventilating a bit, so I'd suggest you start with learning to control your breathing.

Do you recommend any sites? Aw thank you so much- I was so happy!!
I just know I'll stress out on the day, but thank you for the advice I'm sure it'll help! Do you think de-stress tablets are good too maybe?
Original post by lucie18
Do you recommend any sites? Aw thank you so much- I was so happy!!
I just know I'll stress out on the day, but thank you for the advice I'm sure it'll help! Do you think de-stress tablets are good too maybe?

I'd avoid medication unless it has been prescribed by a doctor. The over-the-counter tablets are not likely to help you very much; so ask for medical advice if that's the way you want to go.

Have a look at relaxation exercises here: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending