The Student Room Group

AQA A level spanish, independent research project

I'm studying A-level AQA Spanish, and as part of our A2 speaking exam, we must complete an independent research project, researching our chosen topic in detail, ready to have a fairly lengthy discussion about it.

This is the information AQA have released;

Students must identify a subject or a key question which is of interest to them and which relates to a country or countries where Spanish is spoken. They must select relevant information in Spanish from a range of sources including the internet. The aim of the research project is to develop research skills. Students will demonstrate their ability to initiate and conduct individual research by analysing and summarising their findings, in order to present and discuss them in the speaking assessment.
Students may choose a subject linked to one of the themes or sub-themes or to one of the works. However, students must not base their research on the same literary text or film that they refer to in their written assessment.
Students within a school or college should each choose a different subject for their research. However, if more than one student selects the same general subject area, the title of their research and their approach must be different.

I wondered if anybody could give me any ideas of what my project could be based on? Or even let me know what you are going to be completing your research project on

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyKellett
I'm studying A-level AQA Spanish, and as part of our A2 speaking exam, we must complete an independent research project, researching our chosen topic in detail, ready to have a fairly lengthy discussion about it.

Students must identify a subject or a key question which is of interest to them and which relates to a country or countries where Spanish is spoken. They must select relevant information in Spanish from a range of sources including the internet. The aim of the research project is to develop research skills. Students will demonstrate their ability to initiate and conduct individual research by analysing and summarising their findings, in order to present and discuss them in the speaking assessment.
Students may choose a subject linked to one of the themes or sub-themes or to one of the works. However, students must not base their research on the same literary text or film that they refer to in their written assessment.
Students within a school or college should each choose a different subject for their research. However, if more than one student selects the same general subject area, the title of their research and their approach must be different.

I wondered if anybody could give me any ideas of what my project could be based on? Or even let me know what you are going to be completing your research project on

It does, of course, depend on your personal interests. Here are some ideas which may lead on to something:

- La autonomía. In particular, relating to Catalonia and its recent quest for independence.
- The Basque question.
- The Spanish monarchy. Still relevant today? Why (not)? Financial scandals involving the royal family are discrediting it.
- Combating the drugs trade in Columbia.
- Anything to do with the portrayal of the Franco régime and / or the Civil War in literature.
- Immigration in Spain today with reference to Ceuta and Melilla.
- The Spanish position on Gibraltar.
- The Argentinian position on the Falkland Islands.
- Music: Flamenco; La Zarzuela; El Reggaetón (any one of these!).
- Art: Salvador Dalí; Antoni Gaudí; Goya; Velázquez or any other Spanish artist that takes your fancy.
- The Inca civilisation; the Aztec civilisation: history and their influences today.

Hopefully that gives you at least something to get your teeth into! Suerte!
Original post by Anna Schoon
It does, of course, depend on your personal interests. Here are some ideas which may lead on to something:

- La autonomía. In particular, relating to Catalonia and its recent quest for independence.
- The Basque question.
- The Spanish monarchy. Still relevant today? Why (not)? Financial scandals involving the royal family are discrediting it.
- Combating the drugs trade in Columbia.
- Anything to do with the portrayal of the Franco régime and / or the Civil War in literature.
- Immigration in Spain today with reference to Ceuta and Melilla.
- The Spanish position on Gibraltar.
- The Argentinian position on the Falkland Islands.
- Music: Flamenco; La Zarzuela; El Reggaetón (any one of these!).
- Art: Salvador Dalí; Antoni Gaudí; Goya; Velázquez or any other Spanish artist that takes your fancy.
- The Inca civilisation; the Aztec civilisation: history and their influences today.

Hopefully that gives you at least something to get your teeth into! Suerte!

Thank you very much! These ideas were a great help
Hiya, I'm doing mine about what caused the Golden Age of Spain, so i'll talk about the Reconquista, Columbus and the Marriage of Ferdinand and Isabella. I don't know about you but it seems like such an intimidating prospect, I don't really know where to start
I had planned to do my research project on La Ley de La Memoría Historica, looking at everything after the civil war to now, and about the removal of Francoist statues etc. But I've just decided to switch and research Gypsies in Spain - I hadn't started yet so wasn't so bad but I should probably start soon!
I had planned to do my research project on La Ley de La Memoría Historica, looking at everything after the civil war to now, and about the removal of Francoist statues etc. But I've just decided to switch and research Gypsies in Spain - I hadn't started yet so wasn't so bad but I should probably start soon!

Great topic. Make sure you mention Frederico García Lorca who was very inspired by gypsy traditions.
Reply 6
Hi!!

I'm doing mine on the Impact of the Moors on Cordoba.

Can I ask, how you guys are getting on?

I'm so glad to have found this thread. This project is stressing me out. I did my speaking mock for it in January and it was an absolute flop show, I just don't know how to analyse my research and it is so hard to find the correct information as well.

Hopefully, someone here can help me out! :biggrin: Thanks!
Hey
I'm doing mine on Youth Unemployment in Spain. I chose this mainly because it allows me to talk about a subject that I already have knowledge of (economics) so I will always have something to say.

I would advise you to choose a topic that you will enjoy researching as you will need to spend a while on it :smile:

Also, bear in mind that the stimulus card in your exam can't be on the same category as your IRP.
e.g. my speaking card can't be on the theme of young spanish people
Reply 8
Glad to see I'm not the only one struggling. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing at this point :s-smilie:

Hoping for low grade boundaries! :colondollar:
I’m on the Edexcel course but I’m doing mine on la tauromaquia and I’m quite enjoying it but struggling mostly to find the time to researchAnd it’s really difficult because we aren’t allowed to have any help from the teachers with it so can’t do a mock:frown:
I’m doing mine on the church and women during the Franco dictatorship & it is such an intimidating exam... I don’t know how well read I’m meant to be about the subject & my speaking abilities vary daily so the actual exam could go either way
Original post by Sophiemariehogg
I’m on the Edexcel course but I’m doing mine on la tauromaquia and I’m quite enjoying it but struggling mostly to find the time to researchAnd it’s really difficult because we aren’t allowed to have any help from the teachers with it so can’t do a mock:frown:

I am also doing the Edexcel course, I did a mock but couldn't been on the same topic as the actual exam. In the mock I did it on Clara Campoamor but didn't do very well and don't really have an interest in this topic. Not sure what to do for my actual exam but must be something I'm really interested in- I like psychology- has anyone got any ideas?
Original post by jkgordon
I am also doing the Edexcel course, I did a mock but couldn't been on the same topic as the actual exam. In the mock I did it on Clara Campoamor but didn't do very well and don't really have an interest in this topic. Not sure what to do for my actual exam but must be something I'm really interested in- I like psychology- has anyone got any ideas?

I don't know the first thing about psychology but are there any Hispanic psychologists you could research? or any studies that have taken place in Spain or Latin America?
I'm so happy I have found this thread!! This exam is definitely the scariest of all of mine. I (think) I am okay with the actual speaking cards, but with the IRP I have no idea how much I need to know or anything. I have no idea what I'm even doing TBH:frown: I have a topic but not much else...
Original post by adam_winterb
Hey
I'm doing mine on Youth Unemployment in Spain. I chose this mainly because it allows me to talk about a subject that I already have knowledge of (economics) so I will always have something to say.

I would advise you to choose a topic that you will enjoy researching as you will need to spend a while on it :smile:

Also, bear in mind that the stimulus card in your exam can't be on the same category as your IRP.
e.g. my speaking card can't be on the theme of young spanish people

Hi,

I'm also planning on doing Youth Unemployment in Spain.

How have you gone about structuring the initial 2 minute presentation, before the discussion?

Not really sure where to start.
So glad i found this thread! I'm doing mine on la independencia de cataluna - looking at the history and advantages/disadvantages. I'm starting to write my presentation but have no idea what and how much to include! :frown: i dont want to shoot myself in the foot by including too much and then having nothing to discuss in the discussion - any tips? :frown: x
Reply 16
Nearly a month later and I still have no clue what I'm doing. Hate the feeling that I'm wasting so much time considering the exam's in less than 2 months :/

We're all in this together guys :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by pink.lemonade
So glad i found this thread! I'm doing mine on la independencia de cataluna - looking at the history and advantages/disadvantages. I'm starting to write my presentation but have no idea what and how much to include! :frown: i dont want to shoot myself in the foot by including too much and then having nothing to discuss in the discussion - any tips? :frown: x

You're allowed up to 10 headers so you don't need to include everything you find in your presentation. Just make sure you don't go over the 2 minutes! :smile:
Original post by sundae
You're allowed up to 10 headers so you don't need to include everything you find in your presentation. Just make sure you don't go over the 2 minutes! :smile:

True! Do you reckon it’s worth mentioning only a few of the headings I’ve looked at or covering them all briefly? X and haha I’m worried about not having more than 20seconds - let alone 2minutes!

I am doing mine on the drug war in Mexico. I have found it easy to research but presenting for 2 minutes and then having a ten minute discussion on the subject fills me with dread.
Also AQA have said that you can go through the IRP with your teacher but they are not allowed to give feedback on grammar etc. But at least you can practice having a conversation about the topic.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending