The Student Room Group

Best option for a Music University in London: BIMM vs East London

Hey TSR,

I am in the process of completing my UCAS application which needs to be sent off tonight as its already late.

I have selected 4 choices with Goldsmiths being first choice, however I do not think I will get in with my UCAS points of 220. I'm looking for a choice where I could possibly transfer to year 2 from my current course as I am a first year Sound Design student.

The qualities I'm looking for is a university that has good facilities for practice with instruments and studio equipment and teaching in traditional music theory for modern pop music. I'm also looking for a uni that provides extra-curricular music activities such as a choir.

Goldsmiths recommended BIMM to me as a pop musician, and they look like an environment I would like to study as they comprise of only musicians. However I am slightly put off by the entry requirements being so low and reviews stating that the uni is mainly after your money and does not offer the best service with not many practice rooms and generic feedback for work etc.

The other option I was considering was East London for its music performance and production course, who claim to have just spend 3/4 of a million on new facilities for musicians. The course looks a bit basic and different from viewing the modules (a lot of computer music based modules) compared to modules on elements such as harmony and composition.
The location of East London would be good however, as it is central London and close to Shoreditch.

I am also applying to the conservatories such as the Royal Academy of Music however I do not think I will get a transfer into year 2 from my current course.

Other options I have looked at but do not know much about are Westminster, Royal Holloway, City University, London Centre of Contemporary Music and West London.
Reply 1
What did you choose and why?
I'm currently looking for a music performance programm (commercial music) but I don't know where is the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending