The Student Room Group

Music Production - top unis in UK ?

Hi my son (18 yrs) is a talented musician and is looking at courses to study music production. We live in London and would consider it but I think it would afford him a better uni experience outside of London. I really need to understand which unis/colleges are the most highly regarded in the UK for production/tech as it’s so difficult to find out! Every uni thinks they’re the best - of course they would! - but I need to know the real info from people like you. It would be so appreciated to hear your views. Thanks guys!
Well it was the Tonmeister course at Surrey but it looks like they’ve closed that course :frown:
Reply 2
On the complete uni guide the top 3 are ual, ntu, and uni of west London
Original post by PQ
Well it was the Tonmeister course at Surrey but it looks like they’ve closed that course :frown:

They are advertising for 2024 entry https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/music-and-sound-recording-tonmeister?term=music If you have the right a levels and grade it is the best in Europe. However other places with an excellent reputation include:

LIPA
Leeds Conservatoire
Birmingham Conservtoire
Salford University
Huddersfield
Royal Conservatoire Scotland
Southampton Solent
Falmouth
Original post by meowaylu
On the complete uni guide the top 3 are ual, ntu, and uni of west London

That is ordered by university ranking. For a vocational subject like music production where industry connections are important you need to rank by Subject. Even then it rans by music.

If you look at whatuni.com that does rank production degrees separately to normal music so is a slightly better indication in my opinion.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by welcometotherock
They are advertising for 2024 entry https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/music-and-sound-recording-tonmeister?term=music If you have the right a levels and grade it is the best in Europe. However other places with an excellent reputation include:

weird - it was all 404 errors when I searched before making that post!
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Thanks very much - they are still running it. Creative music tech looks suitable for him too.
Reply 7
That is ordered by university ranking. For a vocational subject like music production where industry connections are important you need to rank by Subject. Even then it rans by music.

If you look at whatuni.com that does rank production degrees separately to normal music so is a slightly better indication in my opinion.

Thanks much appreciated.
Reply 8

LIPA
Leeds Conservatoire
Birmingham Conservtoire
Salford University
Huddersfield
Royal Conservatoire Scotland
Southampton Solent
Falmouth

Thanks much appreciated. We’ve looked at ICMP and BIMM so far.
Original post by Batenicki
Hi my son (18 yrs) is a talented musician and is looking at courses to study music production. We live in London and would consider it but I think it would afford him a better uni experience outside of London. I really need to understand which unis/colleges are the most highly regarded in the UK for production/tech as it’s so difficult to find out! Every uni thinks they’re the best - of course they would! - but I need to know the real info from people like you. It would be so appreciated to hear your views. Thanks guys!

Hello @Batenicki, at the University of Salford we have a few music based courses that you might be interested in.

BA (Hons) Music: Creative Music Technology

BA (Hons) Music: Popular Music and Recording

BA (Hons) Music: Music Management and Creative Enterprise

All the details of the courses can be found on our website, including entry requirements, fees and course specific details. You can head over to our website by clicking here.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to get in touch.
Matt - University of Salford Representative.
Matt - What happened to the Music Performance course. My son auditioned for Popular Music 2 years ago and was offered a place but was also offered Music Performance but I see it's not being advertised this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending