The Student Room Group

Is BIMM any good as a college

I have been looking round a lot as it's about time I looked for a sixth form or college to go to. My parents said to me that it's best to do what you like and enjoy and as I like music production and all that fun stuff I looked into if there are any colleges for that kind of subject. I stumbled Upon BIMM and the offers from it look REALLY GOOD , perfectly tailors to the things I like. But it almost seems too good to be true. I looked around for reviews and only came up with uni ones with lots of good reviews and some VERY BAD reviews too. I just got a bit confused on what to expect as they were for the "uni" side of it. Does anyone know what it is like or is it worth it to attend college there? Many thanks - Jake
BIMM is not worth attending if you are serious about music. I attended BIMM Manchester and wish I hadn't and nearly everyone else tthere that I discussed the subject with shared that opinion. I would recommend you to apply for a music production course at a proper university.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just out of interest , what was it that you disliked about BIMM ? I'm looking at going back to uni to study music production. Cheers.
hello, here to tell you what BIMM is actually like as a 1st year music production student!. I go to BIMM Birmingham and I can honestly they definitely mislead me. The open day was absolutely amazing and I was promised that if I chose production I could also do a music teaching course alongside (this was a complete lie as they do not offer teaching courses). anyway, after a few months I learned nothing. Nearly anybody couldn't be bothered to go to class, half the time we just sat there and did nothing and when we did I got singled out for being a female producer since the rest of the people on the production course were male. I found that they only care about the image and how they are seen, they do not actually care about the students education (only a select number of tutors do- I had one). On top of that BIMM is extremely bad when it comes to dealing with sexual assault. for example and I won't be saying any names- there was a male student who would follow the girls after college and SA them (I was one of these girls.) there is a lot more to it but I won't mention it but anyway I had to have an interview with the head of student support and the head of the college at the time and after hearing everything he had done (he did it to around 15 to 18 girls) they let him back after suspending him for 2 weeks (we had a break off for a week anyway). and now he continues to do it and nothing gets done. the thing is with BIMM is that they try so hard to come across as a great college and uni and spend so much money to make it look presentable yet they don't take the students under consideration and help them. if you want my opinion I feel that BIMM should've just been a performance college as they offer them so much more than the producers.

it is almost as if the performers get special treatment as they constantly go on trips and offered various opportunities whilst the producers are constantly infront of a screen doing their own thing cause the tutor can't be bothered to guide and teach you. I am not the only person that feels like this. I honestly recommend looking at other places.
Original post by Purplejelllyfish
Just out of interest , what was it that you disliked about BIMM ? I'm looking at going back to uni to study music production. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest