The Student Room Group

Body Transplating - Ethics and Feasibility

Okay so following a post on IFLS's facebook page I read the following proposal http://surgicalneurologyint.com/article.asp?issn=2152-7806;year=2015;volume=6;issue=1;spage=18;epage=18;aulast=Canavero;type=3. It proposes a method of severing and subsequently repairing the spinal cord with a view to enabling so called 'Body Transplants'. Many of the comments on the article surrounded the ethics and personal opinions of people on the process however one caught my eye. It identified the possible of issue of neurone mismatching resulting in a patient that would attempt to say flex a bicep and would end up urinating instead.

My questions to the TSR community (especially the medical students and biologists) is firstly what are your views on this? (Considering its use for medical rather than cosmetic reasons e.g. a patient suffering serious cancer).

Secondly, surely the process by which we learn what impulse does what (e.g. as a baby when we try to do something we notice our arm moves) would counteract the issue of neurone mismatching? It would require a 'relearning' as it were of how to do things which is already common place for patients suffering stroke damage etc.
I think it's incredible. Just imagine how much it could improve the life of, for instance, someone who's paralyzed.

Original post by G8D
I wonder if we'll start farming mindless human clones to enable us to live forever.

Wouldn't the problem with that be that the brain ages?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending