The Student Room Group

A level C4 INTEGRATION

We just finished C4 integration and I've been doing some questions from the textbook on separating variables and I've been struggling on this particular questions:
It says to find the general formula of the following differential equations:
1. sin y cosx dy/dx = xcos y / cosx
2. cos y sin2x dy/dx = cotx cosec y
Omg we haven't even finished vectors, how have u already finished integration? Is it really hard? What applied module r u doing :smile:)
Original post by seph_muriel
We just finished C4 integration and I've been doing some questions from the textbook on separating variables and I've been struggling on this particular questions:
It says to find the general formula of the following differential equations:
1. sin y cosx dy/dx = xcos y / cosx
2. cos y sin2x dy/dx = cotx cosec y

What have you tried so far? :smile:
Original post by PinkElephant16
Omg we haven't even finished vectors, how have u already finished integration? Is it really hard? What applied module r u doing :smile:)

We've finished all of C4 and are starting mechanics next week.
Integration is very tricky and longer that all the other topics in C4; there are so much formulae to learn and the 'which one do I apply for a certain type of question?' is a very common question asked. I assume that after lots of practice I'd eventually get a grip of it but to answer your question, I am finding it hard at the moment :frown:
I'm doing EDEXCEL A LEVEL.
Original post by usycool1
What have you tried so far? :smile:

For 1.

sin y cos x dy/dx = x cos y /cos x
sin y cos x dy/dx = x/cos x * cos y
integral of sin y / cos y dy = integral of x/cos^2 x dx
integral of tan y dy = integral of x/ cos^2 x dx

That's all I could do for Q.1

For 2.

cos y sin2x dy/dx = cot x cosec y
integral of cos y/cosec y = integral of cot x / sin2x dx
integral of cos y/ (1/sin y) dy= integral of (cos x/sinx)/(1/2sinxcosx) dx
integral of cos y siny dy = integral of 1/2sin^2 x dx

I couldn't go further from there :frown:
Original post by seph_muriel
For 1.

sin y cos x dy/dx = x cos y /cos x
sin y cos x dy/dx = x/cos x * cos y
integral of sin y / cos y dy = integral of x/cos^2 x dx
integral of tan y dy = integral of x/ cos^2 x dx

That's all I could do for Q.1

Looks good to me. :yy:

The integral of tan(y) is given in the formula booklet, I believe (to derive it, write tan(y) in terms of sin(y) and cos(y) and play around but there's no need for this question).

You can write the right hand side as x sec^2x and use by parts to integrate that.

integral of cos y/ (1/sin y) dy= integral of (cos x/sinx)/(1/2sinxcosx) dx
integral of cos y siny dy = integral of 1/2sin^2 x dx

Firstly, sin2x = 2sinxcosx, not 1/2.

When you fix that, you may wish to have a look at the RHS again for the bit quoted above. Did you mean 12sin2x\dfrac{1}{2}sin^2x ? If so, how did you get from the first line to the second as that's not correct? :smile:

Or for the RHS, did you mean 12sin2x\dfrac{1}{2sin^2x} ? If so, you can write that as 12csc2x\dfrac{1}{2}\csc^2x which you can integrate.

To integrate the LHS though, think of the double angle formulae and how else you can re-write it. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Looks good to me. :yy:

The integral of tan(y) is given in the formula booklet, I believe (to derive it, write tan(y) in terms of sin(y) and cos(y) and play around but there's no need for this question).

You can write the right hand side as x sec^2x and use by parts to integrate that.

Firstly, sin2x = 2sinxcosx, not 1/2.

When you fix that, you may wish to have a look at the RHS again for the bit quoted above. Did you mean 12sin2x\dfrac{1}{2}sin^2x ? If so, how did you get from the first line to the second as that's not correct? :smile:

Or for the RHS, did you mean 12sin2x\dfrac{1}{2sin^2x} ? If so, you can write that as 12csc2x\dfrac{1}{2}\csc^2x which you can integrate.

To integrate the LHS though, think of the double angle formulae and how else you can re-write it. :smile:

Thanks so much I managed to work out the first question by integrating by parts :smile:
For the 2nd question, I meant 12sin2x\dfrac{1}{2sin^2x} on RHS :colondollar: and I manage to sort out the LHS using substitution:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest