The Student Room Group

lotr vs the hobbit

Poll

Lotr or the hobbit

what is better?is lotr still standing?or has the hobbit beaten it?

Scroll to see replies

LotR ofc.
good to see ur with me!:smile:
LotR any day.
LOTR.

I remember face palming in the cinema during the final Hobbit film when legolas defeats gravity.
Original post by Quantex
LOTR.

I remember face palming in the cinema during the final Hobbit film when legolas defeats gravity.

haha lol
Original post by skhan99
haha lol

do u know wat? lotr has stayed legendary for ages...!weird to see all actors most of them old now!!:biggrin:
Now don't get me wrong here, I probably loved te hobbit more than most. I actually enjoyed some of the changes, and thought the film length was appropriate. I'm probably one of the most generous towards the hobbit films review wise. I actually thought the Smaug / Bilbo scenes were possibly one of the best bits of film making I'd ever seen.

But rofl have you actually sat down and watched them in one go? The hobbit is an embarassment compared to the LOTR. CGI armies compared to actual crowds of extras? Driving narrative compared to awkwardly ambling around because the books don't have much for the characters to do visually? Random bad voice acting and half finished sets? And the 'look interacial relationships!!1' thing was just so half baked. :colonhash:
There is no contest.
People seem to hate on the Hobbit a lot but at the end of the day its different to the LOTR in its very nature.

LOTRs is a war movie, where Sauron has come back and the peoples of middle earth must unite to fight. Therefore, its bound to be more gritty and serious.

The Hobbit, on the other had, is an adventure story, set in a time of 'peace' for all intents and purposes. Also, the story is told from the perspective of Bilbo, who would likely remember it in a more humours and lighthearted way.

For me, both trilogies are very good in their own right, but I do accept some of the CGI criticism for the Hobbit.

Azog looked liked a cartoon.
Reply 10
Book wise? Lotr
Film wise? lotr

Based on what I've seen thus far, Jackson has just given up.
Why is this even a discussion?

The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit movies were terrible because Jackson was more concerned with creating an extended prologue to The Lord of the Rings than bringing to life the loosely connected fairy tale that is The Hobbit, he shoehorned in characters and plotlines that were completely irrelevant to the main story, even inventing characters that were absolutely insufferable. In short, he abandoned the childlike, innocent and purely adventurous spirit of the book in favour of attempting to recapture what made The Lord of the Rings movies such huge critical and commercial hits.

The only things I liked about The Hobbit movies were the score and Smaug (but even then, his portrayal on screen is hindered by his presence in tensionless action scenes and forced dialogue that stretches scenes unnecessarily).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Magistl
Book wise? Lotr
Film wise? lotr

omg that is so true..probably cos hes getting old lol!:biggrin:
The issue with the Hobbit is that they extended a 2 film into a 3 film.

The problem with doing that is that they have to make things up ( IE Dwarf/Elf Love and etc) to fill in the space and then have terrible, drawn out fight sequences with Azog and then poor comedic scenes with Alfred etc.

Having said that, I did like the 2nd one because of Smaug at the end. He was the highlight of the film.
Original post by Magistl
Book wise? Lotr
Film wise? lotr

I don't think he gave up.

The more control he is given, the worse he becomes.

More CGI and longer films.
Reply 15
I'll be the exception and say the Hobbit. I really liked the injected humour, and the last movie was spectacular. LotR is amazing too of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Hobbit should have been 2 movies, max. Smaug was brilliant, Martin freeman was great and it had some funny bits. However, the plot line was overstretched and some of the scenes were cringe-worthy (Tauriel and Kili). Tolkien never intended it to be as grand as LOTR and that's the way it should have been. LOTR, on the other hand, is majestic and really grandiose as Sauron threatens all of Middle Earth so it was suitable for 3 four-hour movies. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the hobbit mainly because I wanted to get another glimpse into Middle Earth (e.g. Wood-elves) and experience it again. Would love to see the Silmarillion adapted.
In terms of books, LOTR has everything going for it if you're wanting to read an epic, but the Hobbit is a much easier read. My daughter (age 9) is in the middle of reading the Hobbit, and I know for a fact there's no way she'd have the patience for LOTR - it's just too heavy.

I read the Hobbit when I was 9 or 10 ish and loved it. I read LOTR when I was 18 and enjoyed it, but probably not as much as the 9 year old me enjoyed the Hobbit.

So I really guess it depends on your perspective.

As for the films, LOTR cutting Tom Bombadil broke my heart (even though logically I know he served no real purpose), and the Hobbit irritated me for several reasons, not least of all what was Legolas doing there, and who on earth is Tauriel?

I did enjoy them all, but I think I have to just take the films with a pinch of salt and quash my inner bookish purist-isms.
LOTR films :love:

Although I agree with the comment above in that The Hobbit is my favourite of the books.
LOTR

Quick Reply

Latest