The Student Room Group

Movie recommendations please

I like comedies, rom coms, conceptual films.

Films I've watched recently to help you decide what to suggest:
Down With Love (2003)
The Voices (Ryan Reynolds)
Sunshine Cleaning
Joy Ride
No Hard Feelings
Original post by stmkcltrs

Down With Love (2003)
Sunshine Cleaning
Joy Ride
No Hard Feelings

Hi @stmkcltrs

It's quite a new one, but I really enjoyed 'Anyone But You', with Sydney Sweeney. It might still be in the cinema?

Some of my other favourite rom-com/comedy films are 'Confessions of a Shopaholic', 'The Proposal' and 'Think Like a Man'.

Maybe you'll like one of those!

Emily 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @stmkcltrs

It's quite a new one, but I really enjoyed 'Anyone But You', with Sydney Sweeney. It might still be in the cinema?

Some of my other favourite rom-com/comedy films are 'Confessions of a Shopaholic', 'The Proposal' and 'Think Like a Man'.

Maybe you'll like one of those!

Emily 🙂

Thank you I will check them out x

Down With Love (2003)
Sunshine Cleaning
Joy Ride
No Hard Feelings

oo

When Harry Met Sally is great for a romcom, and if you aren't acquainted with 60s films and want to dip your feet in, The Graduate is the blueprint with literally only one or two dated scenes (and you can't mind the main character being an absolute creep) the rest is great

not sure what you mean by conceptual
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
oo

When Harry Met Sally is great for a romcom, and if you aren't acquainted with 60s films and want to dip your feet in, The Graduate is the blueprint with literally only one or two dated scenes (and you can't mind the main character being an absolute creep) the rest is great

not sure what you mean by conceptual

by conceptual I mean movies with a concept(s) behind it, like Down With Love or Ingmar Bergman's Persona...I can't really explain it lol
by conceptual I mean movies with a concept(s) behind it, like Down With Love or Ingmar Bergman's Persona...I can't really explain it lol

ooo wow. i thought the concept of Persona was really cool but was pretty neutral on it tbh. you have to see Mulholland Drive if you haven't already
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Being John Malkovich
And if you like the camp of Down with Love, I recommend Three to Tango.
(edited 2 months ago)
The school for good and evil was good
Reply 8
ooo wow. i thought the concept of Persona was really cool but was pretty neutral on it tbh. you have to see Mulholland Drive if you haven't already

ok thanks, will do :smile:
Reply 9
Can't beat Ealing Studios for a comedy! Whisky Galore, Passport to Pimlico, The Man in the White Suit, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers. I'll also throw in The Million Pound Note and The Smallest Show on Earth.

But if you want peak script and acting, it's got to be All About Eve.
Original post by Surnia
Can't beat Ealing Studios for a comedy! Whisky Galore, Passport to Pimlico, The Man in the White Suit, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers. I'll also throw in The Million Pound Note and The Smallest Show on Earth.
But if you want peak script and acting, it's got to be All About Eve.
i don't think the OP's listed films indicates an interest in (very dated) Ealing comedies... The Ladykillers is great but i wouldn't say the others are worth it, even Kind Hearts which i liked.

i bet you would LOVE Tony Hancock's The Rebel
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 11
i don't think the OP's listed films indicates an interest in (very dated) Ealing comedies... The Ladykillers is great but i wouldn't say the others are worth it, even Kind Hearts which i liked.
i bet you would LOVE Tony Hancock's The Rebel
All the more reason to branch out a bit, especially as the OP doesn't understand the historical origins of the 'Down With Love' concept.
Original post by Surnia
All the more reason to branch out a bit, especially as the OP doesn't understand the historical origins of the 'Down With Love' concept.

well you've got homework to do in watching The Rebel...watch it and report back :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Surnia

rude crying emojis renee zellweger and ewan mcgregor supremacy they're similar to halle bailey and jonah hauer-king
Reply 14
rude crying emojis renee zellweger and ewan mcgregor supremacy they're similar to halle bailey and jonah hauer-king

No, similar to Doris Day and Rock Hudson...
Reply 15
Original post by Surnia
No, similar to Doris Day and Rock Hudson...

no halle bailey and jonah hauer-king are the new renee and ewan, jonah is also a new ryan gosling, halle is also a judy garland successor eee

Down With Love (2003)
Sunshine Cleaning
Joy Ride
No Hard Feelings

The pin cushion
The italian job

Quick Reply

Latest