The Student Room Group

Should 16/17 year olds be allowed to vote in General Elections?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
No, I have given reason for my argument. I am bored of repeating myself.

As am I.
Original post by James Milibanter
This point makes no sense. The vast majority of pensioners vote for whoever gives them the largest pensions, as a result of this pensions are always near the top of any party's agenda. Why can't 16/17 year olds have that same opportunity?

Because young people don't really vote.
Original post by Ezisola
There has to be a lower cut-off somewhere, may as well be at 18 when children become adults.

Children only legally become adults at 18. There's no guarantee that they have the maturity of one. It shoudl be 16, if someone is clueless at 16, they will probably be so at 18.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Children only legally become adults at 18. There's no guarantee that they have the maturity of one. It shoudl be 16, if someone is clueless at 16, they will probably be so at 18.

And that's the bit that matters.
No
Original post by Ezisola

I know, I was simply expressing my matter of opinion, because you're statement was slightly ambiguous.

I said my opinion, if your opinion differed.
This point makes no sense. The vast majority of pensioners vote for whoever gives them the largest pensions, as a result of this pensions are always near the top of any party's agenda. Why can't 16/17 year olds have that same opportunity?

So is that an argument in favour of 16 year olds or against pensioners? Neither group sounds like it's particularly useful to determining how the country is run.
Because young people don't really vote.

That is due to a number of factors, the electoral system, the political class, lack of representation.... Either way, the many 16/17 year olds that are aware, and are not apathetic, so why not give them the vote? because they can't own a house? well what about all the poor people that can't afford one? They shouldn't have the vote either? The fact that they are children is irrelevant, the fact that some are ignorant is irrelevant, the fact that some are apathetic is irrelevant. If they were relevant then only householders over the age 35 would be able to vote.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
So is that an argument in favour of 16 year olds or against pensioners? Neither group sounds like it's particularly useful to determining how the country is run.

That is my point exactly, and yet one group has no say and the other has possibly the largest say in the entire country. If 16/17 year olds were able to vote then education would become a priority for any party. Quite frankly, It just seems a bit primitive that these young people do not have the vote yet. Especially considering that near enough the exact arguments used for giving them the vote were the same in giving black people the vote, or women the vote.
Original post by Ezisola

Why, is there some spiritual ritual once you become 18 in which you gain vastly knowledge of everything?
Why, is there some spiritual ritual once you become 18 in which you gain vastly knowledge of everything?

Nope, you just legally become an adult. I haven't made any reference to knowledge, experience or anything else so please don't try to put the words into my mouth :smile:
Original post by Ezisola
Nope, you just legally become an adult. I haven't made any reference to knowledge, experience or anything else so please don't try to put the words into my mouth :smile:

Well then it's irrelevant. sorry. But as soon as you can pay income tax, you should have a say in where it goes.
Well then it's irrelevant. sorry. But as soon as you can pay income tax, you should have a say in where it goes.

A 5 year old could pay income tax. A 5 year old does pay VAT. Shouldn't they have a say in where it goes?
Original post by Ezisola
A 5 year old could pay income tax. A 5 year old does pay VAT. Shouldn't they have a say in where it goes?

VAT is not income tax, a 5 year old doesn't have a national insurance number. Income tax is a proportion of your salary that gets taken by the state and is then spent in various ways.
VAT is not income tax, a 5 year old doesn't have a national insurance number. Income tax is a proportion of your salary that gets taken by the state and is then spent in various ways.

Im aware of what different taxes are. It seems you've missed the point.
Original post by Ezisola
Im aware of what different taxes are. It seems you've missed the point.

You failed to dispute my point entirely, Once you are able to pay INCOME Tax you should have a say in where it goes.
You failed to dispute my point entirely, Once you are able to pay INCOME Tax you should have a say in where it goes.

And you've failed to dispute my point that a 5 year old could pay INCOME tax, and so should they have a say in where it goes?
That is my point exactly, and yet one group has no say and the other has possibly the largest say in the entire country. If 16/17 year olds were able to vote then education would become a priority for any party. Quite frankly, It just seems a bit primitive that these young people do not have the vote yet. Especially considering that near enough the exact arguments used for giving them the vote were the same in giving black people the vote, or women the vote.

Well from that perspective, maybe the answer is yes, if OAPs get it then 16 year olds might as well to balance stuff out (although I don't quite think it's the same as black people or women being denied it given that a 16 year old's brain is still a good few years away from being fully ripened - so there are other responsibilities they're rightly denied but also not punished as harshly by the law etc). But on the other hand it's seems like just increasing the number of people getting a say whose judgment I don't in general trust.
No.

I don't even trust most 18 year olds to understand politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's odd that we don't trust 16 year-olds to vote, yet we trust them to make new people. Or, conversely, trust them not to make new people.

A 5 year old can pay income tax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending