The Student Room Group

A level math is a disgrace!

Honestly! I totally get why people hate it, it's really uninspiring. For starters, it's all about memorizing the method and working out the pattern in the questions from past papers. Secondly, a big big part of it is calculus; yet it is taught like english spelling! Really! Calculus is so much more than just ddx(x2)=2x\frac{d}{dx}(x^{2})=2x; what happened to limits? What happened to discovering the fundamental theorem after trying to kill yourself calculating the area under a curve using limits and infinite sums?

And please don't tell me this is useless for anybody not taking maths in uni, because it's already useless the way it is. Like please remind me the last time you even looked at an actual formula in biology or chemistry, never mind differentiating it! Plus I can't imagine how people who know zero about what integration and differentiation represent, would apply calculus in anything related to science.

Same with mechanics, they're like, here you go, velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time; but why? Does anybody know? lol I'm sorry but like why would they do this? In what world was it a good idea to reduce maths into this "memorize the names of all five million bones" science?
Admittedly there are some patterns but for the top marks you need some degree of understanding, towards the end of papers you need to be able to apply what you've learnt.

I think it would be a tough ask to explain where the integral comes from and stuff like that, and I can't see it being easily examinable, and it probably won't be accessible to anyone other than an A-A* student.

A friend who studies Chemistry has had to use integration in his course at Uni, and I think biologists often use differential equations.

I suppose if someone is keen enough they can go away and look at how/why Mechanics works but it'd be a bit unfair to force it on someone who's only going to study M1 as their class is doing it and they're just looking for a good grade.
Reply 2
As SeanFM said, it's unfair to force a more difficult maths a level on someone who is just looking for a good grade in a subject highly thought of by universities.

The A levels are written to a certain difficulty; they're meant to be accessible to the majority of people taking the subject. There's no point in catering the subject for the A* candidates, so they feel they are heavily challenged, as this then deter others from taking the qualification, or means that they perform badly.

There are also lots of alternatives for those who want to be challenged, like further maths, or these people can take the initiative and read about maths outside the A-level course.
Original post by SeanFM
Admittedly there are some patterns but for the top marks you need some degree of understanding, towards the end of papers you need to be able to apply what you've learnt...

Original post by Tuitu56
As SeanFM said, it's unfair to force a more difficult maths a level on someone who is just looking for a good grade in a subject highly thought of by universities...

I get what you guys are saying, and I definitely don't want it to become more difficult, I just think the material (course content) should change. Like for example, instead of putting those useless two chapters on differentiation and integration in C1, they should have made that about limits, and then in C2, they put a differentiation chapter; in C3, they introduce series, and lastly, in C4 they do integration. How would that make it more difficult? On the contrary I think it would make it easier in the longer run.
Original post by gagafacea1
I get what you guys are saying, and I definitely don't want it to become more difficult, I just think the material (course content) should change. Like for example, instead of putting those useless two chapters on differentiation and integration in C1, they should have made that about limits, and then in C2, they put a differentiation chapter; in C3, they introduce series, and lastly, in C4 they do integration. How would that make it more difficult? On the contrary I think it would make it easier in the longer run.

I see what you mean. That sounds like a good structure.

I think I remember my teacher saying that the course is going to change in the coming years (Maybe 2016-2017?) and we may see it moving towards the stuff you've suggested.
Reply 5
If you want to learn what the hell you are doing in A-Level Maths instead of just practicing techniques, read up on it yourself and the subject becomes pretty clear, pretty fast. The teachers are hard-pressed for time and have to make sure that they cover what will get you through the exam, and so may miss some of the finer points required in order to understand the subject.

If you want to learn more, then go learn some more!
Original post by VannR
If you want to learn what the hell you are doing in A-Level Maths instead of just practicing techniques, read up on it yourself and the subject becomes pretty clear, pretty fast. The teachers are hard-pressed for time and have to make sure that they cover what will get you through the exam, and so may miss some of the finer points required in order to understand the subject.

If you want to learn more, then go learn some more!

This isn't about me, it's about students and future students studying math A level.
Original post by SeanFM
I think I remember my teacher saying that the course is going to change in the coming years (Maybe 2016-2017?) and we may see it moving towards the stuff you've suggested.

Nope. The 2017 content is much the same.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gce-as-and-a-level-mathematics

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gce-as-and-a-level-further-mathematics

I stand corrected. It seems to demand more than the current syllabus but they are much the same. I notice that they acknowledge the existence of the FTC, which I guess is part of what the OP wants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending