The Student Room Group

Freaking out over GCSEs

My GCSEs are this year and it’s seriously stressing me out, my whole summer I was overwhelmed because I couldn’t remember content from 2 years ago, and I spent all my time trying to recap. I still don’t even know it, and it’s stressing me out. Year 9 is so blurry i can’t remember a thing. My first day back they gave us a slideshow in the morning saying something like “36 weeks left, 29 weeks in school, so and so hours” and I literally cried when I came home. Why do they even make that presentation :frown: My parents keep saying “work hard this year, it’s your last chance” and I really can’t keep up. My end of years in year 10 went horrible, and like I said I can’t remember anything. They decided to order kids in seating plans from best to worst, the worst being at the front and that’s literally where I am for all my classes. I hate it all and it’s really overwhelming. How am I meant to pass when I don’t even know the basics? Year 9 and 10 content feel so alien to me i don’t even remember learning about any of it :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My GCSEs are this year and it’s seriously stressing me out, my whole summer I was overwhelmed because I couldn’t remember content from 2 years ago, and I spent all my time trying to recap. I still don’t even know it, and it’s stressing me out. Year 9 is so blurry i can’t remember a thing. My first day back they gave us a slideshow in the morning saying something like “36 weeks left, 29 weeks in school, so and so hours” and I literally cried when I came home. Why do they even make that presentation :frown: My parents keep saying “work hard this year, it’s your last chance” and I really can’t keep up. My end of years in year 10 went horrible, and like I said I can’t remember anything. They decided to order kids in seating plans from best to worst, the worst being at the front and that’s literally where I am for all my classes. I hate it all and it’s really overwhelming. How am I meant to pass when I don’t even know the basics? Year 9 and 10 content feel so alien to me i don’t even remember learning about any of it :frown:

First of all your school is a disgrace and these tactics help no one.Have you always struggled at school and have you ever been assessed for any conditions like autism or ADHD or dyslexia.
Do you have any idea what you would like to do when you leave school?What are your strengths?Art,Sport,nature working with your hands or tech stuff?Not everyone is cut out for academic learning.My father was dyslexic and beaten at school because he could not read.He was held back in school because of this with the younger years despite having an aptitude by Maths.He went onto run his own successful company road building ,employing over 100 people.He was an amazing people manager and great at buisness deals.My brother scraped 5 gcse's ,failed his A levels but went to work in the city and became a trader.He had inherited my dad's talent for mental maths He retired at 40 as a multi millionaire.Both my sister and I did great academically but have been nowhere near as successful in life as my brother and father who would have joined you in those seats at the front.Don't let the B***********grind you down.There is so much more to life than exams

Btw all they care about is the schools league table place,They certainly do not care about their pupils.My daughter's school actually had an assembly where they read out a list of the pupils most likely to fail their gcse's just before the exams.My daughter was so distraught by this that I kept her off school that day.
I was a teacher myself and this is no way to bring out the best in people.
I am so sorry you are upset.Can you talk to your parents about how you are feeling?What would help you do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending