The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think you've interacted with a minority. At least for me, this hasn't been the case.
Lol a lot of my friends are medical students. They're the most modest people I've ever known.

Edit: Either that or we're all pricks
(edited 9 years ago)
They're just an odd bunch
Reply 4
Original post by EloiseStar
I think you've interacted with a minority. At least for me, this hasn't been the case.

I disagree, I have been studying medicine for 4 years now and there is something odd about the majority of medical students and doctors. Usually the senior consultants are more down to earth but otherwise; some think they are half gods others think they are geniuses better than humanity.

A lot of people think that because they are medics they are more valuable and so value themselves higher than others.

A lot are arrogant probably because it doesn't just take the grades and countless work experience to get into medical school but also an attitude that requires CONFIDENCE in oneself.
Some will adopt an arrogant characteristic to substitute for that weakness.

We also have an unusual high number of mental health issues at medical school
(edited 9 years ago)
As a prospective medical student, it makes me sad to read this. I hope you come across more students/Doctors that will change your view.
Reply 6
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Lol a lot of my friends are medical students. They're the most modest people I've ever known.

You mean the most falsely modest... That's definitely a thing with them. My doctor dresses super casual, smokes and everything and then drives a extremely expensive sports car I'm like hmm.
Reply 7
Original post by Hollystar
As a prospective medical student, it makes me sad to read this. I hope you come across more students/Doctors that will change your view.
Aw bless you. Yeah I know, I feel the same way I'm more concerned than anything.
Reply 8
I don't know about anyone else, but i'd rather be treated by a doctor who thinks he is God than one who thinks he is a worm.
Original post by Ebony19
You mean the most falsely modest...

So by your logic:

Act arrogant = arrogant
Don't act arrogant = false modesty, must be arrogant

Gee, it almost seems as though you have some hidden agenda here.
Reply 10
Original post by Knugs
I disagree, I have been studying medicine for 4 years now and there is something odd about the majority of medical students and doctors. Usually the senior consultants are more down to earth but otherwise; some think they are half gods others think they are geniuses better than humanity.

A lot of people think that because they are medics they are more valuable and so value themselves higher than others.

A lot are arrogant probably because it doesn't just take the grades and countless work experience to get into medical school but also an attitude that requires CONFIDENCE in oneself.
Some will adopt an arrogant characteristic to substitute for that weakness.

We also have an unusual high number of mental health issues at medical school
Well said you definitely exacted all my thoughts on the issue. I've noticed some very strange behaviours from a middle aged doctor of mine as well and I can bet it's the stress. Things need to better spread out in terms of work load etc. There's too much made of the status of it all and it's going to their heads by the looks of things.
Original post by Ebony19
You mean the most falsely modest... That's definitely a thing with them. My doctor dresses super casual, smokes and everything and then drives a extremely expensive sports car I'm like hmm.

Maybe he likes cars? Most males like cars lol.
Original post by Ebony19
It's something I've noticed. A lot of them spend their time with their heads up their own arses when they should be inspecting other people's.

Why is this, it's a care profession...?
There seems to be an us (the doctors and students) and them (the patients) mentality rather than wanting to level with the 'commoner'. Sort it out.

Well, everytime someone asks me what id like to do in the future, I say medicine, but every time i do i always notice that i sound so arrogant when really i don't mean to... Its just one of those things
Reply 13
Original post by Etomidate
So by your logic:

Act arrogant = arrogant
Don't act arrogant = false modesty, must be arrogant

Gee, it almost seems as though you have some hidden agenda here.
Here you are, I've been waiting for you.

You're a prime suspect.
Reply 14
Original post by Etomidate
So by your logic:Gee, it almost seems as though you have some hidden agenda here.

Of course I have a hidden agenda, we'll all patients at one point or another. Or are you never is that the nature of your immunity.
Really? All the ones on my course/I've met are perfectly fine save for one or two exceptions.
Original post by Ebony19
Of course I have a hidden agenda, we'll all patients at one point or another. Or are you never is that the nature of your immunity.

Being a patient has nothing to do with it. You're implying that all patients hold this grudge against doctors which they don't. You clearly do, on the otherhand. Why is that?
Original post by jakeel1
I don't know about anyone else, but i'd rather be treated by a doctor who thinks he is God than one who thinks he is a worm.

I think I'd rather be treated by a Doctor who wasn't one extreme or the other :rolleyes:
Well I have to agree with you, but technically they are only "prospective" seeing as they're in Y11.

Some arrogant people in my year are actually really nasty to others (luckily not me), and I kind of hope that they don't get into medical school - although this is only 2 or 3 people.
Maybe they feel that they have jumped through so many barriers to get into med school. Usually in places across the world its not that hard to get into med school (comparatively) but they kill you in the 4-5 years of degree in terms of how difficult it is. However here the admission rate is so low into med schools but if u put in the expected amount of work you will pass the degree.

So maybe because of the initial hardships they faced getting in, they might feel they are superior to the rest of us who havent gone through that rigorous of an admission process

Coming from a failed medic applicant! :colone:

Latest