The Student Room Group

University of Chester graduate entry medicine 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Chester GEM.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Chester GEM.
:biggrin:

Hi,
Is anybody hoping to apply at Chester for graduate entry medicine?
It isn’t open to UK students yet but I’m hoping it will be ready by the time I am applying to universities (October 2022).
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
can uk students apply for 2022 entry? It says on there website there taking intake for sept 2022?
Hi @Jcon94 and @Leaf. :hello:

Our plans are to take our first students in September 2022, but this is subject to our programme obtaining approval from the General Medical Council. We are in the process of applying for that approval and hope to have a decision by the Autumn of 2021. Until that approval is obtained, we are unable to recruit students.

You should also be aware that pending any increase in funding for medical student places by the UK government, any places that we offer in September 2022 will be subject to full economic costed fees. These are in the region of £40,000 per annum. For this reason, until further funded places are made available, the vast majority of our places in 2022 will be for International students where we are able to charge the full fees. Having said that, we do want to make as many places as possible available to UK students with a fee cap of £9,250.

We are very hopeful that by 2023, the government will have announced an expansion in funded medical school places which will allow us to take UK students. :crossedf:

I hope this helps! :smile:

Alex
Reply 3
Original post by Leaf.
can uk students apply for 2022 entry? It says on there website there taking intake for sept 2022?

I am hoping to be able to apply in 2022 to start in 2023 so I’m really hoping I will be able to apply to Chester by then!
Original post by University of Chester
Hi @Jcon94 and @Leaf. :hello:

Our plans are to take our first students in September 2022, but this is subject to our programme obtaining approval from the General Medical Council. We are in the process of applying for that approval and hope to have a decision by the Autumn of 2021. Until that approval is obtained, we are unable to recruit students.

You should also be aware that pending any increase in funding for medical student places by the UK government, any places that we offer in September 2022 will be subject to full economic costed fees. These are in the region of £40,000 per annum. For this reason, until further funded places are made available, the vast majority of our places in 2022 will be for International students where we are able to charge the full fees. Having said that, we do want to make as many places as possible available to UK students with a fee cap of £9,250.

We are very hopeful that by 2023, the government will have announced an expansion in funded medical school places which will allow us to take UK students. :crossedf:

I hope this helps! :smile:

Alex

hi
Can I ask if UK students are able to apply if they can pay the full fees?
Original post by jobojobojoboxxx
hi
Can I ask if UK students are able to apply if they can pay the full fees?

Hi @jobojobojoboxxx

Unfortunately, UK students aren't currently able to apply for September 2022 entry. This is because the Government has currently not assigned the University any funding for UK students. This means that for September 2022, we are only going to be able to take International students. We hope this will change for 2023.

The reason for this is that the clinical placements for medical students are funded separately by the Government and are around £35,000 per annum. This money goes straight to the NHS placement provider (i.e. medical schools do not "see" this money). However, this money is "capped" by the Government, effectively limiting the number of medical student places available. We can't offer places to students on the course without the clinical placements and, without the £35,000 from the Government each year, the NHS hospitals won't make the placements available. For International students, there is a "work-around" if they are able to pay for their clinical placements themselves. This is not open to UK students since the fees for UK students are always capped at £9250 per annum.

Our aim in Chester is to lobby hard for the Government to increase funding for medical student places so we can take UK students. Indeed, our whole ethos is around widening participation to medicine for local students. As soon as we have any news regarding this funding, we can let you know.

Fingers crossed we will be able to start accepting UK students from 2023!

Alex
Original post by Thanks4helping
Anyone applied/ planning to apply for 2022? Do you know what ucat score they would require?
Anyone here applied with a non-UK degree?

Hi there,

I just wanted to make you aware that the entry requirements outlined on our website state that applicants need to meet the minimum threshold mark in UCAT (or UCATSEN).

I hope that helps! :smile:

Grace
Hi, I think that medical schools should be able to provide training for home students, particularly when there is a desperate shortage of doctors in the NHS. I don't understand why Chester are prioritising international students over home students.
Original post by jobojobojoboxxx
Hi, I think that medical schools should be able to provide training for home students, particularly when there is a desperate shortage of doctors in the NHS. I don't understand why Chester are prioritising international students over home students.

They explained why in response to your previous post.

Original post by University of Chester
The reason for this is that the clinical placements for medical students are funded separately by the Government and are around £35,000 per annum. This money goes straight to the NHS placement provider (i.e. medical schools do not "see" this money). However, this money is "capped" by the Government, effectively limiting the number of medical student places available. We can't offer places to students on the course without the clinical placements and, without the £35,000 from the Government each year, the NHS hospitals won't make the placements available. For International students, there is a "work-around" if they are able to pay for their clinical placements themselves. This is not open to UK students since the fees for UK students are always capped at £9250 per annum.

Our aim in Chester is to lobby hard for the Government to increase funding for medical student places so we can take UK students.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Incidentaloma
They explained why in response to your previous post.

Why can't the offer uk students the chance to fund themselves with 35k per year charges like international students until funding has been resolved?
I’m interested in this course which I would apply for once I’ve completed my BSc(Hons) Pharmacology degree in 2024. Would the tuition be £40,000 per annum or £9,250?
Original post by Georgia2024
I’m interested in this course which I would apply for once I’ve completed my BSc(Hons) Pharmacology degree in 2024. Would the tuition be £40,000 per annum or £9,250?

Hi @Georgia2024

It's great to hear that you're interested in our Graduate Entry Medicine course! We're hoping the government will have announced an expansion in funded medical school places and, if they do, there will be a tuition fee cap of £9,250 for UK students.

Alex
Reply 12
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had an interview or an offer?
Original post by eehd
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had an interview or an offer?

Yes i did!
I wonder how many applicants there are
Original post by Supermed69
Yes i did!

Me too! Would love to talk to potential classmates.
Hey I also have an offer but they asked me to sit the UCAT. Its strange, shouldn't they have told me this before offering an interview??
Does anybody know when the deadline is to meet their criteria??
Original post by aikaaki
Hey I also have an offer but they asked me to sit the UCAT. Its strange, shouldn't they have told me this before offering an interview??
Does anybody know when the deadline is to meet their criteria??

This intake was a special exception and we didn’t need to have the UCAT and work experience before application but we need to complete them before enrolment. So before we take the UCAT and do 70 hours they won’t issue a CAS.
Original post by cat-mommy
This intake was a special exception and we didn’t need to have the UCAT and work experience before application but we need to complete them before enrolment. So before we take the UCAT and do 70 hours they won’t issue a CAS.

Do you know when the deadline is?

I haven’t payed my deposit yet. What happens if I pay the deposit and don’t pass the UCAT, would they return me the payment?
Original post by aikaaki
Do you know when the deadline is?

I haven’t payed my deposit yet. What happens if I pay the deposit and don’t pass the UCAT, would they return me the payment?

From my inquiries before applying, they said you can finish them before enrolling, so no specific deadline really. And yes your deposit will be returned if you have a valid excuse (i.e. did not reach the UCAT score or get the required experience) except for a non-refundable £150. Obviously for us internationals, this should be before we need to apply for the visa, ideally getting everything done before middle August would be best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending