The Student Room Group

US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EPluribus Unum
That's the problem, 90% of the republican nominations are a joke. The republican party as a whole has probably one of the worst images in global politics. When you have idiots like donald trump trying to get his nomination in, that just tarnishes the republican party even more.

The only 2 worthy candidates in the republican party right now are Jeb Bush and Rand Paul. Jeb doesn't bring anything new to the table, it'll just be another version of George W Bush give or take. Hillary is the same in a way, she is a Part III of Obama. She brings nothing new to the White House.

Rand is totally different from the others, you could class him as Libertarian if you want. He's not as mad as the other republicans and he won't open the US Mexico border like some democrats.

Don't make sweeping statements. Remember there's Scott Walker too!
Original post by flibber
Don't make sweeping statements. Remember there's Scott Walker too!

Let's be honest, Rand is the best debater, he has the most structured and logical arguments. Only he can defeat Hilary, because Rand is not your standard republican.

Ron Paul couldn't debate, that was his problem. Rand can, so that is why he will take America by storm.
Let's be honest, Rand is the best debater, he has the most structured and logical arguments. Only he can defeat Hilary, because Rand is not your standard republican.

Ron Paul couldn't debate, that was his problem. Rand can, so that is why he will take America by storm.

Rand is hated by the Republican establishment. They'll do all they can to torpedo his candicacy early.
Original post by flibber
Rand is hated by the Republican establishment. They'll do all they can to torpedo his candicacy early.

We know that. But the republicans know Jeb Bush has NO chance of defeating Hilary.

The whole republican party is a joke, only Rand can give a decent challenge to Hillary and if they ditch him, well they might as well shoot themselves in the foot.
Rand is as good public speaker as Nigel Farage. Difference is Rand also has substance, while Farage spewed bull**** half the time.
I still think it will be Bush vs Clinton (i'd vote Bush) but i'm still no closer to knowing which candidate i truly want.

I don't want either of the Paul's (don't trust them on defense and foreign policy) but Bush is not my pick either.
Reply 186
Rand Paul is by far the closest competitor to Hillary Clinton. This is when half of america doesn't even know who he is. Once Hillary and Rand get more media coverage and start debating, you will see Rand overtake Hillary.

They said the same about Ron Paul too. Back in 2012 he was constantly going to win, then there was going to be some last minute shift among primary delegates. Then when that failed the election was rigged. The best Rand can hope for is that his ideas gain currency at this election. But he won't win.
Original post by Aj12
They said the same about Ron Paul too. Back in 2012 he was constantly going to win, then there was going to be some last minute shift among primary delegates. Then when that failed the election was rigged. The best Rand can hope for is that his ideas gain currency at this election. But he won't win.

Rand is 10 times a better debater and public speaker than Ron ever was. Ron Paul had great ideas but he couldn't get them across as well. Now Rand has great ideas, but he can get them across.

The thing is, if he secures the Republican nomination, he has basically won the White House. In a 1 to 1 debate with Hillary, Rand would tear her apart.
Reply 188
Rand is 10 times a better debater and public speaker than Ron ever was. Ron Paul had great ideas but he couldn't get them across as well. Now Rand has great ideas, but he can get them across.

The thing is, if he secures the Republican nomination, he has basically won the White House. In a 1 to 1 debate with Hillary, Rand would tear her apart.

Your putting too much stock in the debates, there is far more to the elections than that. Rand would also struggle to make inroads into the Democratic base, or even parts of the Republican base.
Original post by Aj12
Your putting too much stock in the debates, there is far more to the elections than that. Rand would also struggle to make inroads into the Democratic base, or even parts of the Republican base.

Public perception is everything man.

Rand can take more of the democratic base than any other republican. Effectively Rand can take everything in the middle, so not the very far right republicans or the very far left democrats.
Has anyone seen Rick Perry's comments on the Charleston shooting?

"A drug-induced accident"...

It boggles the mind how far republicans will go to take the focus away from either race or gun control laws. No doubt these comments will do nothing to harm his election campaign though as I can't imagine too many Republican African Americans were going to vote for him anyway.
Original post by looseseal
Has anyone seen Rick Perry's comments on the Charleston shooting?

"A drug-induced accident"...

It boggles the mind how far republicans will go to take the focus away from either race or gun control laws. No doubt these comments will do nothing to harm his election campaign though as I can't imagine too many Republican African Americans were going to vote for him anyway.

It's not unusual for him to make radical comments. He compared homosexuality to alcoholism not so long ago.

What do you guys think on the narcissist Trump running?
Original post by Reluire
It's not unusual for him to make radical comments. He compared homosexuality to alcoholism not so long ago.

It's about time America had a billionaire president... Because of course, being rich is the best quality a person can have (which is essentially what his campaign boils down to :laugh: )
Original post by Rakas21
I still think it will be Bush vs Clinton (i'd vote Bush) but i'm still no closer to knowing which candidate i truly want.

I don't want either of the Paul's (don't trust them on defense and foreign policy) but Bush is not my pick either.

Out of interest, what is your opinion on Hillary generally? Because Jeb is seen as very moderate in the Republican Party, right? And Hillary is seen as quite conservative for a Democrat?

Also, who do you think will win?
Reply 194
Original post by Reluire

I wonder if he honestly thinks he can win.
Reply 195
Your opinions,

I believe that Rand Paul will defeat Hilary Clinton and take the White House. Hilary in my opinion is too shady, with all the Lewinsky affair and the leaked email. With Hilary I don't feel she actually cares, rather she and Bill want to cling onto power for as long as they physically can.

So ladies and gentleman, let me introduce the next president of the USA....

http://www.paul.senate.gov/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul

You heard it here first on TSR.

Remember there's a long way to go :bored:
Original post by Aj12
I wonder if he honestly thinks he can win.

He's dumb, but not that dumb. This is another marketing gimmick to get the Trump name out there. All he wants to achieve from this campaign is a few extra T-Shirt sales and hotel bookings.
Reply 197
He's dumb, but not that dumb. This is another marketing gimmick to get the Trump name out there. All he wants to achieve from this campaign is a few extra T-Shirt sales and hotel bookings.

I meant Rick Perry, should have been clearer.

The fact that Trump is doing something like this to get publicity really shows the cynical view of American democracy some have.
Original post by Aj12

The fact that Trump is doing something like this to get publicity really shows the cynical view of American democracy some have.

Personally I feel no republican other than Rand Paul has a chance to defeat Hillary. She is so far ahead of the others, she pretty much has the White House in the bag unless she does something extremely stupid from now till the election.

I don't get why the Republicans are trying to push people like Jeb Bush in, the republicans know themselves he has absolutely no chance against Hillary. I would say the Obama/Romney election had more in favour for the Republicans than if a Jeb Bush/Hillary run off takes place.

What doesn't help is the hardcore right Republicans hate the crap out of Rand Paul, yet he is practically their only hope to knock out the Democrats.

I mean the Republicans can go with Jeb Bush, but then you will get a decisive victory for the Democrats and an Obama Part III.
Original post by Aj12

I don't think Rick Perry thinks he can win, a vast majority of the Republicans think they will lose. 90% of them campaign just to get their name out, any publicity is good publicity. I mean at this rate, if Hillary were to take the White House, the ones who campaigned well in 2016, could really hit Hillary hard in 2020.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending