The Student Room Group

US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flibber
Sure, but I'm starting to have a grudging admiration (is that an oxymoron?) for Trump's ability to say what he wants and get away with it.

I bet you that he's hardly read the Bible since his days at Sunday school.

P.S. Is there a reason why American conservatives are strongly religious, whereas the British Conservatives are secular?

It's a much more religious country in general. I have a theory that in part it has something to do with American communities being (relatedly) more isolated and more closely knit. I haven't bothered to look into it though.

That's kind of what I was saying. He so obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone else would be crucified for that. But I think mainly because he's so confident and direct in his responses he can get away with it.

I think a telling comparison can be drawn between Ted Cruz and Donald Trump. The former, when he wants to avoid talking about deportations, tried to talk his way around it like a little weasel. Trump tells the reporter to get the **** out of his press conference. He just bulldozes everything and republicans like it. (I have to say I kinda like it too, from an external perspective, although the difference is I wouldn't vote for him on that basis.)

It's scary but it's really interesting to watch.
Reply 381
Just some assorted headlines that are related to the election, some detail included
No.1

No.2

No.3
Carson breaking in the polls as the serious challenger.

Last nights debate was apparently good.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary
RIP in Pepperonis Scott Walker.

Given up on destroying America, going back to screw up Wisconsin.
Reply 384
Original post by Fango_Jett
RIP in Pepperonis Scott Walker.

Given up on destroying America, going back to screw up Wisconsin.

yeah i saw that, i think he got a 0% approval rating in one poll
Original post by mm14
yeah i saw that, i think he got a 0% approval rating in one poll

0.3% or something, but he that was in the margin of error for the poll anyway. Welp.

Jindal and Graham are probably going to be next on the chopping block.
Original post by tengentoppa
The Republicans need a moderate if they are too win, but they don't really seem to have any. Clinton may win by default.

I don't think this is true

We ran a moderate with McCain and Romney and that didn't work. I'd like to see a true conservative as the nominee this time around.
Reply 387
Original post by Made in the USA
I don't think this is true

We ran a moderate with McCain and Romney and that didn't work. I'd like to see a true conservative as the nominee this time around.

Romney was hardly a moderate by the end of the primaries. The guy refereed to half the country being government dependents who'd never vote Republican.

Anyway what's your idea of a true conservative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Romney was hardly a moderate by the end of the primaries. The guy refereed to half the country being government dependents who'd never vote Republican.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tea Party types felt that Romney was fibbing when he came out with hard-man-of-the-right soundbites during the nomination campaign, so they didn't turn out in droves to put him across the line in the election, or so the theory goes. Romney actually is very reactionary compared to previous Republican leaders, even Reagan was a moderate against most of the modern lineup. The fact that Romney didn't meet with full approval from the headbanger right that now dominate says a lot about the state of things. The current leaders in the race are far more bizarre. The GOP has moved so far from the centre ground that it's hard to see how they can ever reclaim the Presidency on current evidence.
Original post by flibber
Sure, but I'm starting to have a grudging admiration (is that an oxymoron?) for Trump's ability to say what he wants and get away with it.

I bet you that he's hardly read the Bible since his days at Sunday school.

P.S. Is there a reason why American conservatives are strongly religious, whereas the British Conservatives are secular? I don't see much cultural conservatism in the British right wing.

Well it gives Peter Hitchins something to write about. But yes. Britain is a very socially liberal country compared to most of the world :yes:
Reply 390
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Tea Party types felt that Romney was fibbing when he came out with hard-man-of-the-right soundbites during the nomination campaign, so they didn't turn out in droves to put him across the line in the election, or so the theory goes. Romney actually is very reactionary compared to previous Republican leaders, even Reagan was a moderate against most of the modern lineup. The fact that Romney didn't meet with full approval from the headbanger right that now dominate says a lot about the state of things. The current leaders in the race are far more bizarre. The GOP has moved so far from the centre ground that it's hard to see how they can ever reclaim the Presidency on current evidence.

I can't imagine what things will be like in the future with John Boehner's resignation, he was one of the more reasonable members of the Republican party
Reply 391
Ben Carson has come out with some gems of historical wisdom.

"The likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people had been armed," he told CNN on Thursday.

Ben Carson's comments come days after a mass shooting at a college in the US state of Oregon, in which nine people were killed.
Speaking after the attack, Mr Carson said: "I would not just stand there and let him shoot me. I would say, hey, guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can't get us all.

You wonder if he and Trump say controversial things to get headlines or if they genuinely are this ignorant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hillary comes out 'not in favour of' TPP after calling it the 'gold standard' of trade deals in office.

I know politicians flip-flop all the time but this is just too brazen. It's taking the voters for idiots. I hope they don't elect her. She's a weasel.

If I were on the fence about defecting to Bernie Sanders this would push me towards him, not away from him. At least we know he means what he says.
Original post by Gabrielxucram
The problem is that you are tackling this problem with your brain and people tackle it with their hearts. It is understandable that they have concerns and that people are reluctant about looking at other international examples. It is fear that drives them. Yet, you are correct. Unfortunately, however, most people won't even listen to you before calling you a commi or an anti-american when those ideas are presented.

Can you blame Americans for being skeptical of any further healthcare reform? Obama promised us that the “typical family” would save $2,500 on premiums every year, but most of us saw costs dramatically increase. He also told us that if we liked the plan we had we could keep it, but millions of americans lost our plans.

So after Obamacare most of us now have healthcare that is more expensive or inferior in quality compared to what we used to have.
Reply 394
Original post by Aj12

"The likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people had been armed," he told CNN on Thursday.

Ben Carson's comments come days after a mass shooting at a college in the US state of Oregon, in which nine people were killed.
Speaking after the attack, Mr Carson said: "I would not just stand there and let him shoot me. I would say, hey, guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can't get us all.

You wonder if he and Trump say controversial things to get headlines or if they genuinely are this ignorant.

Bit of both? Don't underestimate someone's ability to have their head up their arse

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Hillary comes out 'not in favour of' TPP after calling it the 'gold standard' of trade deals in office.

I know politicians flip-flop all the time but this is just too brazen. It's taking the voters for idiots. I hope they don't elect her. She's a weasel.

If I were on the fence about defecting to Bernie Sanders this would push me towards him, not away from him. At least we know he means what he says.

There was a joke article (released in April?) that talked about Hilary switching all her positions to that of Bernie overnight. Hilary in my opinion is a joke for the reasons you put forward, I don't understand how so many people can fall for such obvious pandering. While people are allowed to change their minds I find it highly unlikely that anyone would flip flop so frequently.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now that walker is out, probably Ted Cruz is the only one left
Original post by Aj12

Can you help me understand what is controversial about this statement? It's something MANY historians support and it seems like common sense that it would have been a lot more difficult to round up the jews had they been armed. The Warsaw ghetto uprising is proof of this. Yes, the German soldiers did eventually defeat the jews, but the resistance delayed the Nazi war machine for a month.

Original post by Aj12

In this case I understand what the media is getting at. Yeah, until you are in a situation like that it's easy to have all the answers when the gun isn't pointed at you. That said, it is possible to change an outcome of certain death by charging the attacker. It used to be that passengers of a hijacked plane would cooperate with hijackers. Now, after flight 93 changed history, it's unthinkable that American passengers will simply stand by and allow a hijacker to seize an airliner’s controls.
Can you help me understand what is controversial about this statement? It's something MANY historians support and it seems like common sense that it would have been a lot more difficult to round up the jews had they been armed. The Warsaw ghetto uprising is proof of this. Yes, the German soldiers did eventually defeat the jews, but the resistance delayed the Nazi war machine for a month.

It's very implausible. For one thing, does anyone seriously think the Nazi state would have allowed a significant group of people it wanted to attack to become armed? For another, what would civilians armed with small hand weapons do against the SS armed with machine guns and if necessary tanks and flamethrowers? It would appear that Carson has, to put it kindly, a limited understanding of the context. This is the same sort of 'resist the government' nonsense that extreme libertarians come out with in the US - as if (as Waco proved) even heavily armed civilians really stand a chance against a determined state with all the latest weapons. It's a piece of propaganda for the small arms industry and the NRA and it's corny pap trash for the gun totin' thick heads who infest the Midwest and other Republican-voting small town mentality people.

In this case I understand what the media is getting at. Yeah, until you are in a situation like that it's easy to have all the answers when the gun isn't pointed at you. That said, it is possible to change an outcome of certain death by charging the attacker. It used to be that passengers of a hijacked plane would cooperate with hijackers. Now, after flight 93 changed history, it's unthinkable that American passengers will simply stand by and allow a hijacker to seize an airliner’s controls.

If heavily armed passengers were blasting away with guns on planes, they'd regularly be dropping from the skies anyway, immediately following explosive decompression. :rolleyes:
Reply 398

Because it shows a complete misunderstanding of the historical context. Firstly it ignores the nature of German society and the mass support the nazis had. His comments make it seem as if the nazi government was an occupying power, not one with wideapread suppoer. It pushes blame on to the Jews for not defending themselves. Finally it ignores events like the Warsaw ghetto uprising amongst others that led to the whole scale murder and liquidation of those who tried to fight back. Those Jews who armed themselves were quickly wiped out. A month in the context of the holocaust is absolutely nothing. Their is no evidence to suggest armed Jews would have in anyway changed events.

This American idea that a populace equipped with small arns can prevent tyranny is bizarre. Few tyrannical powers come to power and stay their simple due to force of arms. There tends to be a complex relationship of power consent and legitimacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw a post referencing the fact that some view Obama as the greatest president since FDR. That's a complete laugh seeing as he is utterly despised by roughly half of the American population, myself included.

As for our elections it's amusing seeing a bunch of Brits assuming Americans should share their British values in picking a president. the last thing we need is another narcissistic, power hungry, unethical, morally bankrupt moonbat leftist like Obama at the helm. Bernie Sanders is a kook with no shot of even winning his own party's primary let alone the presidency. Hillary Clinton is an evil shrew who's personally ruined countless lives to get where she is today in her quest for power. The ONLY thing she cares about is power for herself. If there is a hell I have no doubt she will end up there.

Trump is crude but he gets results. He's not a politically correct lemming like most of the other GOP candidates. He would actually put America first and not sign off on the ridiculous trade agreements that have damaged our nation so gravely. he would also doing something to stem the tide of illegal immigration which threatens our nation.

Other than trump I would vote for Cruz, Carson, Paul or Fiorina. No one else would get my vote. I fear Hillary may win though. Democrats always cheat in elections so despite the fact that so many see her for what she is, she may get away with the voter fraud that she and her leftist whackadoodle ilk plan to commit.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending