The Student Room Group

Further Maths appreciation thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Parallex
S1 is alright.

Lies!!
Original post by kkboyk
That sounds so easy. Mine are FP1, M1 and S2 (which some topics are boring). Next year we are going to do FP2, FP3 and M2 (or M2 M3 and FP2 if everyone in my class decides on this).

If you're doing it with edexcel, I'd recommend M3. It's a really nice unit, in my opinion. Much more interesting as well, I found.
Reply 42
Original post by devangdave
If you're doing it with edexcel, I'd recommend M3. It's a really nice unit, in my opinion. Much more interesting as well, I found.

I might do it instead of S1 for normal maths: I absolutely hate S1 -.-
Reply 43
I did AS and A2 maths last year, and now doing AS and A2 further this year, this is how I felt about the units I did/am doing:

C1 - boring, basically gcse
C2 - better, but I don't like trig or series so was still pretty dull
C3 - I hate graphs.
C4 - By far the best of the core units, I enjoy calculus a lot.
M1 - Pretty simple, but boring.
M2 - Hard. Hard but interesting.

FP1 - boring, but harder than C1 and C2, which makes it annoying. However better than C1 and C2.
FP2 - Some of it is actually quite fun (integration/differentiation atc.) but graph sketching and polar curve sketching is really dull and sometimes confusing, okay overall.
FP3 - Pretty much love it compared to everything else I've done, Diff equations and groups are great, vectors are a pain but interesting, and complex numbers are coolio if a bit difficult sometimes.
M3 - Why did I even pick this when I need to resit M2?
D1 - OH MY GOD THE MOST BORING UNIT EVER
S1 - Boring and I just hate stats.

I'm on OCR.

So yeah Further >>>>>>> Core!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Tibbz2
I did AS and A2 maths last year, and now doing AS and A2 further this year, this is how I felt about the units I did/am doing:

C1 - boring, basically gcse
C2 - better, but I don't like trig or series so was still pretty dull
C3 - I hate graphs.
C4 - By far the best of the core units, I enjoy calculus a lot.
M1 - Pretty simple, but boring.
M2 - Hard. Hard but interesting.

FP1 - boring, but harder than C1 and C2, which makes it annoying. However better than C1 and C2.
FP2 - Some of it is actually quite fun (integration/differentiation atc.) but graph sketching and polar curve sketching is really dull and sometimes confusing, okay overall.
FP3 - Pretty much love it compared to everything else I've done, Diff equations and groups are great, vectors are a pain but interesting, and complex numbers are coolio if a bit difficult sometimes.
M3 - Why did I even pick this when I need to resit M2?
D1 - OH MY GOD THE MOST BORING UNIT EVER
S1 - Boring and I just hate stats.

I'm on OCR.

So yeah Further >>>>>>> Core!

Lol I've spent half of the year not listening or doing homework for D1 that I ended up getting a U in my mock. So I've spent the first week of March learning all of it and now I'm getting As, which kind of pissed me off at how easy and boring it is.

I'd say it s only interesting when you actually use it in real life.

Hoe interesting was M3?
Original post by Phichi
Well briefly using values found online, and the upper end of neutron star density, a grain of sand equivalent volume would be roughly 38 million kilograms. Or roughly 7000 fully grown male african bush elephants. A mug would hold a lot of grains of sand, it's bloody heavy!

:eek:
Reply 46
Original post by kkboyk
Lol I've spent half of the year not listening or doing homework for D1 that I ended up getting a U in my mock. So I've spent the first week of March learning all of it and now I'm getting As, which kind of pissed me off at how easy and boring it is.

I'd say it s only interesting when you actually use it in real life.

Hoe interesting was M3?

Haha yeah, I never bothered listening or doing work because our teacher was crap. I felt like I didn't understand it at all, so went through the course and did a past paper and now it's pretty simple, just the random questions they throw in about the theory of graphs that get me now...

M3 is more interesting than the other mechanics to be fair, once again the actual content isn't too difficult (bar SHM, that is pretty hard), it's just application that has again become even more difficult over M2
Original post by Tibbz2
Haha yeah, I never bothered listening or doing work because our teacher was crap. I felt like I didn't understand it at all, so went through the course and did a past paper and now it's pretty simple, just the random questions they throw in about the theory of graphs that get me now...

M3 is more interesting than the other mechanics to be fair, once again the actual content isn't too difficult (bar SHM, that is pretty hard), it's just application that has again become even more difficult over M2

I can do basic rocket science, as a result of M5. Now that's interesting
Reply 48
Original post by devangdave
I can do basic rocket science, as a result of M5. Now that's interesting

OCR don't do M5, or at least our school doesn't :frown:

I regret not taking M4, it's supposed to be easier than M3! (On ocr at least)
Reply 49
One of my maths teachers was saying that the decision units are being removed from the FM spec soon because they're more computer work
Reply 50
Original post by Tibbz2

I hope it's interesting. Right now normal maths is killing me (its not much of a challenge anymore) and I've already covered C3 last summer; so M3 FP2 and FP3 have better not be disappointing (otherwise I'd end up losing all my motivation to study it and fail :frown: )
Original post by kkboyk
I might do it instead of S1 for normal maths: I absolutely hate S1 -.-

S2 gets so much more interesting, S1 is the worst maths module there is.
Not that I've done M5 (yet) :biggrin:
Reply 52
I'm doing M1 and M2 for normal maths
Doing FP1-3, D1, M3, S1 for further
S1 is so boring so is D1 :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
FP2 edexcel is great. Just annoyed we haven't done FP3.
Reply 54
Original post by Placeboo123
S2 gets so much more interesting, S1 is the worst maths module there is.
Not that I've done M5 (yet) :biggrin:

I've almost finished it. Hypothesis testing and all that stuff on sampling is absolutely horrible -.-

S1 should get scrapped . It's a monster :angry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Doing AS this year AQA, modules are:

C1, C2, FP1, S1, M1, M2.

Love C1-C2 because they're easy, AQA FP1 is weird it has 13 really short chapters and it's different to all the other boards FP1s, but it's the most interesting out of the pure units I do. I hate stats, I awful at it and it's just dull. M1 is my favourite unit this year, I love it, it is just the best unit there is IMO.

Problem with M2 is that it's a great unit, like really interesting, but it's A2. And we're meant to know C3 and C4, because AQA M2 has differential equations and kinematics with variable acceleration all of which require differentiation and integration of exponentials logs and trig. It it's still a good unit, it's just hard because it's meant for A2 not AS.

Next year we do C3 C4, obviously. Then S2 and D1 are compulsory. AQA FP3 is almost exclusively differential equations, with series and polar coordinates too, so we do that. We're also doing M3, but as an extra unit they want to teach D2, I'm not convinced, I'd rather do FP2 or FP4, much more interesting.

But overall I do love further maths, it's soooo good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm studying FP1, M1 and D1 for AQA. Finished the syllabus, FP1 and M1 are not too bad, pretty easy tbh. But D1 is so boring. Kmn :s: Anyone else studying AQA?
Original post by shazna.k
I'm studying FP1, M1 and D1 for AQA. Finished the syllabus, FP1 and M1 are not too bad, pretty easy tbh. But D1 is so boring. Kmn :s: Anyone else studying AQA?

I do FP1, M1 and D2 for AQA AS Further Maths. My favourite is by far FP1; M1 is alright but can get tedious; D2 is just suicidal.

I do D1 for normal maths and I hate it too lmao
Original post by jake4198
I do FP1, M1 and D2 for AQA AS Further Maths. My favourite is by far FP1; M1 is alright but can get tedious; D2 is just suicidal.

I do D1 for normal maths and I hate it too lmao

Tell me about it :s-smilie: I like FP1 the most out of the three, haven't been doing much revision recently so I'm a bit rusty atm.

What other A-levels are you doing?
Original post by shazna.k
Tell me about it :s-smilie: I like FP1 the most out of the three, haven't been doing much revision recently so I'm a bit rusty atm.

What other A-levels are you doing?

Me too, I've been focusing on my May exams at the moment so haven't done FP1 in a while.

I'm doing Maths, Geography, Economics and History alongside FM

How about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest