The Student Room Group

Do unis care about further maths modules?

Hello,

I am probably gonna be going to study econ at a top uni. Since, its a highly mathematical degree, A level further maths is preferred. My school will do FS1 and D1.

Will I be at a disadvantage compared to someone who does FP1 and FS1?

Your response is appreciated!
No you will not be disadvantaged, they rarely ever care about modules. Just get good grades.
Reply 2
Original post by PixiePresents
No you will not be disadvantaged, they rarely ever care about modules. Just get good grades.

Hey thanks for this. I just looked upon the cambridge website that they want candidates to be taking further pure and stats modules rather than mechanics and decision. Let me just quote what they have said on their website.

"Considering the mathematical and statistical contents of the Cambridge Economics course, taking Further Mathematics at AS/A level or IB Higher Level is very useful. For AS/A-level Further Maths, you will benefit from choosing Pure Maths and Statistics modules (rather than Mechanics or Decision Maths). If your school does not offer Further Maths (or the desired modules), you still have the opportunity to take it using the Further Mathematics Support Programme. Most successful applicants for the Economics course at Cambridge have A-level Further Maths"

Any advice is really appreciated!
Original post by Shubham9548
Hey thanks for this. I just looked upon the cambridge website that they want candidates to be taking further pure and stats modules rather than mechanics and decision. Let me just quote what they have said on their website.

"Considering the mathematical and statistical contents of the Cambridge Economics course, taking Further Mathematics at AS/A level or IB Higher Level is very useful. For AS/A-level Further Maths, you will benefit from choosing Pure Maths and Statistics modules (rather than Mechanics or Decision Maths). If your school does not offer Further Maths (or the desired modules), you still have the opportunity to take it using the Further Mathematics Support Programme. Most successful applicants for the Economics course at Cambridge have A-level Further Maths"

Any advice is really appreciated!

They say you’ll benefit from it, not that it puts you at any disadvantage at all. The truth is that you rarely have any choice in the matter over what modules you do and the school decides for you (unless you self teach) so it’s not something that a university will hold against you.

For example, I did FS1 and FM1 and applied for CS and was offered a Cambridge interview, when decision modules are much more desirable.

Quick Reply

Latest