The Student Room Group

People who believe in folklore,ghosts,demons etc, would you deem them less intelligen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R£SP£CT
Intelligence is a very broad and subjective term. You could possess several PHDs, have an IQ of over 200 and yet still believe in the supernatural. Doesn't make you any less intelligent. The parameters of intelligence shouldn't be foolishly restricted to the physical tangible Universe.

This.

My husband is one of those scientific and intelligent people and yet he believes in folklore etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would, and I have a reason why.

People who aren't skeptical enough to see the shadows/illusions in the cave are doomed to stay there forever. The people who push, are cynical, and question everything manage to escape the cave.

There might genuinely be people who believe in ghosts and spirits etc because they've put skepticism into their opinions, and I'm not talking about them. But the people who go 'Hmmmm must be ghosts' because they don't understand are kinda what I would define as less intelligent.
The problem is you get highly intelligent people who believe in those things for some reason. I dunno if it's higher levels of gullibility or if there are different types of intelligence, but either way I lose a little bit of respect when people say they believe in psychics or stuff like that.
ghosts are real I have been visited by the old hag demon
Original post by Blue_Mason
No need to call anyone stupid

But, that's exactly what you did. The question says are they less intelligent and you answered yes. Just because I was blunt about it, doesn't mean you didn't do the same thing.
It depends on how they come to the conclusion, and regardless everyone has blind spots.

A Cambridge lecturer once told us she experienced the ghosty feelings and believed that she's sensed a ghost in The Channel Islands.
Original post by Ellis2314
But, that's exactly what you did. The question says are they less intelligent and you answered yes. Just because I was blunt about it, doesn't mean you didn't do the same thing.

'Less intelligent' =/= 'stupid' though.

Consider this scale:

60-100 = Smart
0-59 = Stupid

If I'm at 92 and you're at 88, I can say you're 'less intelligent', but you're not 'stupid'.
No, not for that singular statement without further explanation of their beliefs.
That does not mean they are less intelligent.
Original post by Ellis2314

You should take a sit, my dear.
I am not here to insult any of my fellow tsr members.
The reason I belive in this stuff is quite simple. My gran is a huge catholic, very religious and an active member in the church community. She's good friends with the priest of our parish and he invites out family around for barbecues and I watched some of the World Cup matches there with him. Overall, he is a nice man. Funny, intelligent kind and incredibly wise.

one night (I think my auntie started it) we got onto the subject of ouija boards. And he simply told everybody there to never touch one, never be in the same room whilst one was active etc. this got me thinking, why not? He pretty much implied about demons and spirits and how we should never 'dabble' in such matters. I'm not the best catholic, but I listened to the priest not because of religion, but because he was obviously so (I don't really know what to out here. He said it calmly, but you could tell he was 'scared' by what he was saying.

I completely trust this man and I will never be in the same room as an ouija board. Ever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kinda, I guess.
Definitely would correlate it with naivety/ignorance/being illogical and irrational, and thus could relate with intelligence levels. People like that also tend to be really idealistic and out of touch with reality, which again, could, in some ways, be associated with intelligence.
lol thought so

Quick Reply

Latest