The Student Room Group

Is anyone else doing National 5 physics??

Hi! I've got my national 5 physics exam in almost a month and i am so scared! :frown:
I find physics so hard and i cant seem to understand it at all, I've always failed physics tests/exams before...normally getting around 30%. For my prelim(or mock exam) I studied so hard and revised a lot but i still didn't pass...i got 47%. I don't know how i will manage to get a good grade in the real exam because i tried so hard for my prelim and still failed. Does anyone please have any tips on how to revise/ make notes/ pass? Thank you!!:smile:
Reply 1
Hi I am doing nat 5 physics too which I also find difficult. I feel that by going over past papers have helped. I look over the marking instructions too. The sqa have a section which shows questions from standard grade and int 2 and which ones we should go over. Good luck
Original post by Sunshine2305
Hi! I've got my national 5 physics exam in almost a month and i am so scared! :frown:
I find physics so hard and i cant seem to understand it at all, I've always failed physics tests/exams before...normally getting around 30%. For my prelim(or mock exam) I studied so hard and revised a lot but i still didn't pass...i got 47%. I don't know how i will manage to get a good grade in the real exam because i tried so hard for my prelim and still failed. Does anyone please have any tips on how to revise/ make notes/ pass? Thank you!!:smile:

Original post by Naaaaa
Hi I am doing nat 5 physics too which I also find difficult. I feel that by going over past papers have helped. I look over the marking instructions too. The sqa have a section which shows questions from standard grade and int 2 and which ones we should go over. Good luck

I'm going to move this to the Scottish forum for you :smile:
I am doing this Higher this year. If you require assistance please drop a pm if need be!
What's N5 ? Does it allow u study in uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Nat 5 Physics is awfully hard, totally relying on my assignment to get me a decent mark. My prelim score was awful too, which gave me the motivation to study hard so that's not the case in the exam. So Physics has definitely been my priority recently, also because it is the first exam I have this year. ( 13 days to go! :eek: )

Recently, I've been revising by literally writing out all my course notes. I have the How to Pass book as well which is great. A lot of it is knowing which equation to use, so I have notecards with each one that's in the formula sheet.

Good luck to you and everyone else doing the exam!
Original post by Sunshine2305

Right, first of all - stop panicking!
If you go in for the exam thinking that you're going to fail then this will actually hinder your performance and that is a proven fact. A little bit of adrenaline is still good though...

I did nat 5 physics last year and I can say that the real exam was far easier than I expected and certainly easier than any prelim I'd seen.

To sort your problem you should absolutely use all the study materials you can find: BBC Bitesize, Scholar (if you have it), the how to pass book, and the specimen/past paper book.
Work through your materials strategically and focus on tricky areas (don't ignore them just because you think you can't understand them).
As for the topics you don't understand, go to your teacher during study leave and get them to go over them in detail.

Best of luck!
I'm crashing National 5 Physics this year and I am actually handling it okay. It's easy enough to learn an equation but what can be difficult is understanding it. When is it used? Why do you use it here? What I found that helped is the bbc bitesize revision page. It has everything you need to know and it has a mini test at the end! Because of this I achieved an A in my prelim so I strongly recommend it to everyone doing National 5 Physics. Also I understand it can be difficult to find mock exams but there is a specimen paper on the SQA website plus last years exam! Best thing to do is practice!
Hoped this helped xD
I did Nat 5 last year and the final exam wasn't nearly as hard as it was made out to be. Definitely look at the specimen papers and previous standard grade papers because so many questions were taken from other years. (Also look at some of the old Higher papers for questions in the Nat 5 course.)
If anyone requires any assistance from me, please go ahead and pm me. I willing to help anyone who is doing National 5.

You can also make a post on the thread, i'll check time to time!
How are you guys feeling about the open ended questions?
I did national 5 last year. Open ended questions are quite good in my opinion. Gives candidates to express their full knowledge about a certain topic or topics. Also, it's a good amount of marks aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm also doing NAT 5 physics this year. I got an A in the prelim but after battling through Unit 3, I am also freaking out about the final exam. I found the BBC Bitesize website quite helpful, but one method I find works really well is to grab a willing victim (friend, parent, dog etc.) and teach them some of the course. Not only will you have imparted knowledge into your human or canine companion, it actually makes remembering stuff like definitions really easy. Hope this helps you, good luck in your exams!
Do you think it's possible to crash N5 physics in 6th year? Bearing in mind I haven't done it at all before, and I am willing to study and spend time on it.
Crash N5??? Why not just crash higher then? Someone at my school crashed Advanced Higher and got an A so. She got an A in higher maths, if you can do maths, don't do nat 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the point in crashing N5's?? Do Higher or Advanced Higher
Original post by Higherdude
Crash N5??? Why not just crash higher then? Someone at my school crashed Advanced Higher and got an A so. She got an A in higher maths, if you can do maths, don't do nat 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not great with maths so itd be best sticking to N5 probably, the courses for college I want to do only require N5 and people are telling me its hard
Reply 17
i need help with them
I was in your exact place 1 year ago and I really didn't know what to do because the career I wanted to pursue needed physics but I was just awful at it, I invested in a good tutor (mines was £30 per hour) and he honestly helped me so much, I went from failing all tests to getting an a in my exam, that was be my best advice and also just practise, do the same equation hundreds of times until you just get it scratched into your head!
Hope I helped xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
yea but u will also need highers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending