The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I did the exact same coursework in AS level are you told how to do it? I can't remember if we were. Basically its a case of looking at the stoichiometry of the equation so for the titratration one its going to depend on the equation (don't know what you're titrating it with) for the adding it to water its
Na +H2O ----NaOH +0.5H2
so you find the mass of Lithium you're using measure the volume of H2 given off (we used gas syringes I don't like the wet method with an upside down measuring cylinder) and work backwards to find the number of moles of gas to find the number of moles of Li (Twice as many) to then work out the relative molecular mass. You can predict the amount of H2 from working forwards using the relative mass off a periodic table. Have fun
Reply 2
birdth
I did the exact same coursework in AS level are you told how to do it? I can't remember if we were. Basically its a case of looking at the stoichiometry of the equation so for the titratration one its going to depend on the equation (don't know what you're titrating it with) for the adding it to water its
Na +H2O ----NaOH +0.5H2
so you find the mass of Lithium you're using measure the volume of H2 given off (we used gas syringes I don't like the wet method with an upside down measuring cylinder) and work backwards to find the number of moles of gas to find the number of moles of Li (Twice as many) to then work out the relative molecular mass. You can predict the amount of H2 from working forwards using the relative mass off a periodic table. Have fun

okay... well for the gas syringe thing i am going to be using 100cm3 of distilled water with 0.08g of lithium... so how will i predict the amount of hydrogen from this... bit :s-smilie:? How would i predict the amount of H2 from working forwards using the relative mass off a periodic table?

titration: i am titrating 25.0cm3 LiOH with 0.100mol dm-3 HCl and wasnt sure how to predict the amount of HCl acid that i will use.

thank you very much 4 ur help :biggrin:
Reply 3
Well if you have 0.08g you find the number of moles 0.08/7 = 0.0114moles
so assuming 298k and 1 atm pressure 1mole of gas occupies a 24dm ^3 volume so 0.0114 mole ocupies 0.0114x24 =0.2736dm^3 or 273.6cm^3 ish so thats a prediction you'll obviously get a different answer as the mass of lithium isn't exactly 7.

in The titration the number of moles of LiOH is unknown so however many moles of HCl you use thats the number of moles of LiOH (Due to Stoichiometry of the equation 1:1 ratio) which is also the number of moles of Lithium I'm guessing that your preparing the LiOH from a known mass of Lithium so then you can work out the relative mass from relative mass=mass/moles
Reply 4
birdth
Well if you have 0.08g you find the number of moles 0.08/7 = 0.0114moles
so assuming 298k and 1 atm pressure 1mole of gas occupies a 24dm ^3 volume so 0.0114 mole ocupies 0.0114x24 =0.2736dm^3 or 273.6cm^3 ish so thats a prediction you'll obviously get a different answer as the mass of lithium isn't exactly 7.

in The titration the number of moles of LiOH is unknown so however many moles of HCl you use thats the number of moles of LiOH (Due to Stoichiometry of the equation 1:1 ratio) which is also the number of moles of Lithium I'm guessing that your preparing the LiOH from a known mass of Lithium so then you can work out the relative mass from relative mass=mass/moles

okay thank u !!! :biggrin:

Latest