The Student Room Group

help how do i calculate my uni grade

i am in my second year of uni and in the middle of exam season. i wanted to work out an estimate of what i am looking to get at the end of this year for my module and i need help calculating it.

For context this is the assessment weighting: Whichever is the Greater: EITHER 50 per cent Coursework Mark, 50 per cent Exam Mark OR 100 per cent Exam Mark IF Coursework Mark is a pass or better

If coursework 1 was 60% and coursework 2 was 67% that would mean 50% of my coursework is 63%. in the end of year exam if i got 50%, then 50% of that would be 25%. adding up 63 and 25 is 88%.

or the second method: 50% of my coursework is 63% and end of year result is 50% as coursework is better than eoy result my grade would be 50%.

as first method's grade is greater, would i be graded 88%??

this doesnt sound right. i am so confused rn...
Original post by Anonymous
i am in my second year of uni and in the middle of exam season. i wanted to work out an estimate of what i am looking to get at the end of this year for my module and i need help calculating it.

For context this is the assessment weighting: Whichever is the Greater: EITHER 50 per cent Coursework Mark, 50 per cent Exam Mark OR 100 per cent Exam Mark IF Coursework Mark is a pass or better

If coursework 1 was 60% and coursework 2 was 67% that would mean 50% of my coursework is 63%. in the end of year exam if i got 50%, then 50% of that would be 25%. adding up 63 and 25 is 88%.

or the second method: 50% of my coursework is 63% and end of year result is 50% as coursework is better than eoy result my grade would be 50%.

as first method's grade is greater, would i be graded 88%??

this doesnt sound right. i am so confused rn...

Hi there :hello:

No, you need to take an average of your two coursework marks first, i.e. (60+67)/2 = 63.5%. (Assuming both tasks are weighted equally, of course!)

You then take the average of that average and your exam mark, i.e. (63.5+50)/2 = 56.75%.

Usually this gets rounded to the nearest whole number, so a final mark of 57.

This would be better than the fully exam mark of 50%, so you'd be awarded 57 :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

No, you need to take an average of your two coursework marks first, i.e. (60+67)/2 = 63.5%. (Assuming both tasks are weighted equally, of course!)

You then take the average of that average and your exam mark, i.e. (63.5+50)/2 = 56.75%.

Usually this gets rounded to the nearest whole number, so a final mark of 57.

This would be better than the fully exam mark of 50%, so you'd be awarded 57 :smile:

but then you end up taking 50% off the coursework mark and then 50% off again, does that sound right? i thought you'd take off 50% coursework and then 50% exam and then add them up no?
Original post by Anonymous
but then you end up taking 50% off the coursework mark and then 50% off again, does that sound right? i thought you'd take off 50% coursework and then 50% exam and then add them up no?

What you need to remember if that the total of your coursework is only 50%, so each task (assuming they're weighted equally) is 25% each :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Saracen's Fez
What you need to remember if that the total of your coursework is only 50%, so each task (assuming they're weighted equally) is 25% each :smile:

ahhh right makes sense, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending