The Student Room Group

Creative vs academic-why do people judge?

I'm at a level and take english lit/lang, media, geography and photography so I have quite a balanced board of exams.

Lots of my friends seem to think photography and media are really easy and are not as "worthy" as physics, maths and their boring subjects.

Granted I'm sure maths and physics are tricky but in a different way so is art, music ad photography ect.

Is it just because they find their subjects hard it means their more important?

My question is why do people really think maths and science ect has any more value or difficulty than art and photography ect . When surely all subjects have their own easy and difficult points.

(Back me up here creative guys and gals)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kingpin152

(Back me up here creative guys and gals)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must say that is kind of leading. Are you implying that the Sciences are not creative?

Well if you are going to call the sciences uncreative, I think its only fair to call the subjects you are taking "easy". (as immature as that sounds :biggrin: )
Reply 2
Original post by Xin Xang
I must say that is kind of leading. Are you implying that the Sciences are not creative?

Well if you are going to call the sciences uncreative, I think its only fair to call the subjects you are taking "easy". (as immature as that sounds :biggrin: )

Some people call it creative other people call it soft and hard subjects but the general consensus seems to be that science falls into the hard, predominantly academic side of the spectrum.

So I want personally saying science doesn't include creativity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Science is a creative domain. How else could they solve problems? It works from first principles. Learning Sciences may be rigorous, academic and boring but using it is another thing. You may not realise but science A Levels teach you skills, it isn't about gaining specific, limited knowledge.
Reply 4
I personally think that maths and sci are also artistic subject, but in their own ways. I think people who look up to those who study maths and sci is because those are difficult (*this can be argued that it's a matter of mind) subject that not everyone can learn nor easily understand it. So they think those who can learn those subjects are smart (this too is a subjective matter). One factor that I think could influence this mindset is society and media (I combined it because I think they're interrelated). Usually people are more attracted to new discovery, the discovery may not necessarily be about scientific subjects, but they do involve scientific.. mathematical skills, all those stuff. And the media helps glorify it (not that I'm blaming the media though), so when people read or see it, they're amazed. The discovery is publicized in news = which means what they did is something significant (to most people). Not everyone can see the difficulties in arts subjects. Most prolly because to most, it's not something that requires you to study theories (though absolutely not true, but we're talking about why people see sci & maths subjs more important), make experiments, discovering new things.. (though there are in artsy subjects) it's not glorified as much as they do in scientific subjects. What and how people are influenced play an important role in determining what is more in people's eyes.

I'm sorry if my explanation is quite confusing. This is a highly subjective matter and there are so many possibilities that can be counted in. I do realize that others may disagree with my explanation, but hey this is just my opinion. haha :grin:
If you get a job as a research scientist you will BE HUGELY LUCKY!!! yet you will be working UNDER a process.If you get a job in creative industry you will be Hugely LUCKY but you also will have the bonus of more freedom and ability to expand into new skill sets quickly and readily.
Original post by NGSindustries
If you get a job as a research scientist you will BE HUGELY LUCKY!!! yet you will be working UNDER a process.If you get a job in creative industry you will be Hugely LUCKY but you also will have the bonus of more freedom and ability to expand into new skill sets quickly and readily.

This thread is 5 years old.

What do you mean working under a process? Scientific research is novel & creative, you are investigating new things,it is inherently creative & innovative, scientists are constantly developing new processes & methods.

Latest

Trending

Trending