The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam or Sheffield University

Difference between Sheffield Hallam or Sheffield University?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Hallam used to be a polytech. Those were unis which focussed more on trade skills rather than traditionally academic subjects. (Think Oxford Brookes, Liverpool Hope, Bath Spa.) Sheffield Uni is more established in academics, whereas with Hallam they're newer courses, hence usually lower grade requirements.
(edited 11 months ago)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hey there! Thank you for your question...
Sheffield Hallam, as already stated, used to be a polytechnic university and University of Sheffield is a Russell Group university. Generally, Sheffield Hallam has lower entry requirements and offers more creative courses than University of Sheffield does. Where Uni of Sheffield focuses mainly on exams and academics, Sheffield Hallam has a range of different courses that go from STEM subjects with exams to creative subjects assessed on coursework. In my opinion, the standard of teaching and education is exactly the same as everywhere else apart from you feel less pressure on you to succeed, it's down to your own independence rather than university expectations.

For me personally when deciding on where to go to university, my sixth form college was constantly trying to push everyone to go to a Russell group university purely because it makes them look better. Yes, with every university there comes rankings and rumours about quality of teaching but for me personally I've found no difference. My firm choice was a Russell Group university, purely because I was pressured into it by people telling me it would 'look better' on applications. Considering my degree is in the creative industry, employers aren't looking for where your university sits on some scale. They're looking for experience and what you can really do. All prejudice is based on rankings and reputations but in my opinion, you can't really comment on a university you don't go to. In the same way i can't comment on University of Sheffield because I don't go there, people often judge polytechnic universities based on outdated rankings and word of mouth from people who believe in those rankings. If a course offers exactly what you want to do, then it shouldn't matter if the entry requirements are 3 A*'s or 3 C's.

I got into the Russell Group that I firmed originally, but after visiting both my firm and my insurance (Hallam), it just felt like a completely different experience. Hallam felt more comforting to me and it felt like less of a stressful environment and somewhere I could actually call home rather than a place that felt like a very tense working environment and like a hotel stay to live in. I couldn't be happier that I switched to my insurance and it definitely was the right choice for me. I've felt no negative stereotypes or prejudice when securing work experience and placements because of where I study, it's such speculation but it doesn't actually matter where you study as long as you do well. The point is, go where you want to go and not where some online rankings tells you it thinks you should go.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending