The Student Room Group

Labour voters: society seems "fair" to me, what you moaning about?

All I ever hear from Labour and their voters is "we want a fairer society" whinge whinge whinge.

-Education is free
-Healthcare is free
-Benefits are generous (to put it mildly)

How on earth is this not "fair"?

It sounds like you're actually moaning about some people earn more money. The majority of these people earnt their money through hard work and simply took the opportunities you didn't.

So, where's this "unfairness"?

NB: Please dont bother banging on about private-educated people, people who inherited, people who got an internship through their Dad etc because this is really scraping 3-5% of the population. You've got an even playing field with ~95% of the population.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by billydisco
All I ever hear from Labour and their voters is "we want a fairer society" whinge whinge whinge.

-Education is free

See, what it really sounds like you're moaning about is that some people earn more money than you. The majority of these people earnt their money through hard work and simply took the opportunities you didn't.

NB: Please dont bother banging on about private-educated people, people who inherited, people who got an internship through their Dad etc because this is really scraping 3-5% of the population. You've got an even playing field with ~95% of the population.

Health should stay free
Generic 'Labour supporters are jealous and stupid thread' Yawn.
Yo Billy, you said yesterday Labour were the party of envy for wanting to get rid of non-dom. Yet in a poll today by Survation, commissioned by the DAILY MAIL, 47% of tory voters want to abolish non-dom. Are those tories jealous too? Party of envy?
Reply 3
Original post by Borgia
Health should stay free

Thanks, forgot that- added it.
Reply 4
Original post by Borgia
Health should stay free

Anyone who tried to fully privatise the NHS would be facing political suicide. Healthcare will stay free, at least for the foreseeable future.
Lord Sugar is a labour voter. Duncan Bannatyne said yesterday that he is voting Labour. Two of the wealthiest men on the continent. Are they jealous?
Yes, so what is wrong with labour? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Bornblue
Generic 'Labour supporters are jealous and stupid thread' Yawn.
Yo Billy, you said yesterday Labour were the party of envy for wanting to get rid of non-dom. Yet in a poll today by Survation, commissioned by the DAILY MAIL, 47% of tory voters want to abolish non-dom. Are those tories jealous too? Party of envy?

100% of Daily Mail readers vote Tory? :rolleyes:

So, what is unfair about our society?
Labour don't like the prospect of people becoming rich because it means they get one less vote. It's a cycle of promising a "fairer" society and then ruining it so they can promise another "fairer" society 10 years down the line in order to regain power.
(edited 9 years ago)
100% of Daily Mail readers vote Tory? :rolleyes:

So, what is unfair about our society?

NO! 47% of those polled who said they'd vote tory said they avour abolishing non-dom.
In a legitimate poll.

What's unfair? The fact that those who qualify for non-dom status don't pay tax but you and I have to.

Nearly half of tory supporters polled even support abolishing it. Are they all jealous?
Duncan Bannatyne says we should abolish it? Is he jealous?
Reply 10
Lord Sugar is a labour voter. Duncan Bannatyne said yesterday that he is voting Labour. Two of the wealthiest men on the continent. Are they jealous?

and this means the majority of Labours 8 million voters don't resent people for having money?
Reply 11
A society in which the National Health Service is at breaking point and is lacking in funding whilst the very wealthy get to avoid their taxes is "fair"?

A society in which 1 million people have to rely on food banks to feed themselves whilst tax cuts are given to millionaires is "fair"?

A society in which the bankers, who caused the global financial crisis, still get ludicrous bonuses whilst spending cuts hit the poorest who had nothing to do with the crisis, is "fair"?

The rich get richer, in some part, due to exploitation of their workers through the wage labour system. That's why they earn a lot more money than many people. The poorest in society often work just as hard, if not harder, than the richest to earn their living. So, no, it's not about hard-work. And, let's look at other criteria too, in addition to "opportunities taken". What about usefulness to society? Teachers are a lot more useful than footballers, and yet get paid much less. Many jobs, such as those in the agricultural sector, are far more dangerous than most other jobs, and yet workers in the sector get paid much less.

Before we go on about opportunities, let's consider whether the CEO of a corporation would even consider working in some of the low-paid jobs out there. The answer is: probably not - the CEO chose to work as a CEO, and probably enjoys the job a lot more than many of the low-paid workers enjoy their jobs. Hence, people in low-paid jobs are incredibly useful to the economy, but are getting paid disproportionately low amounts of money. Without ordinary people, the richest in society would be nowhere.

And, at the end of the day, let's look at consequences. Making sure the rich actually pay their tax isn't going to make much of a difference to them: they won't have to go to food banks and they won't have to live subsistence lifestyles in order to pay their energy bills. Furthermore, your characterisation of people who want a fairer society as "envious" is demonstrably false, as shown by the number of Tory supporters who support Labour's proposal on tax avoidance, and even a Dragon's Den entrepreneur.

At the end of the day, it's about inequality - too much of which is both immoral and bad for the economy - and people earning disproportionate amounts of money. Nobody is saying that people should be paid exactly the same amount, but it's ludicrous to suggest that people are doing jobs worth a million times more than others, as you are tacitly implying.

Inequality causes huge problems for the economy, and when people like yourself defend greed in such an exorbitant manner, it can only lead to disaster - see the Great Depression, for instance, of which inequality was a significant cause.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
What's unfair? The fact that those who qualify for non-dom status don't pay tax but you and I have to.

~150,000 people out of 66 million having non-dom status makes the whole of society unfair?
Reply 13
I agree. In the UK, we are quite left-wing, compared to other countries. For example, in the USA, both the Democrats and Republicans are to the right of our Conservative Party, as even some Democrats are against Obama's health care reforms. That's why it amuses me when people say the coalition government are evil and scum etc. when in the USA, Cameron and Osborne would be considered moderates, especially by Republicans. Our Labour Party would be considered far left commies.
and this means the majority of Labours 8 million voters don't resent people for having money?

I thought all Labour voters were jealous? Why would Duncan Bannatyne and Alan Sugar be jealous? 47% of tory voters want to get rid of non-dom too are they jealous?
? Duncan Bannatyne was one of the 100 business leaders who wrote a letter in support of the Conservatives.
Reply 16

-Education is free
-Healthcare is free

It sounds like you're actually moaning about some people earn more money. The majority of these people earnt their money through hard work and simply took the opportunities you didn't.

How did you get to where you are?
Reply 17
Original post by Cadherin
? Duncan Bannatyne was one of the 100 business leaders who wrote a letter in support of the Conservatives.

Bit of a flip flopper...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3030223/I-m-Dragons-Den-star-Duncan-Bannatyne-says-s-backing-Labour-just-week-coming-Cameron.html
Reply 18
The fact that those who qualify for non-dom status don't pay tax but you and I have to.

You realise its just tax on earnings outside the UK right?

If I were a non-dom I'd be £30k worse off a year.

How much less tax would you pay if you were a non-dom? :s-smilie:
Reply 19
There are still huge inequalities in the country. Huge increase in those relying on foodbanks in recent years and the numbers of children in poverty are still roughly one fifth. So it isn't completely fair or comparible if not everyone has got the same start, support, care in their life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending