The Student Room Group

How to cut the workload down?

My exams start in 7 weeks and I have 2 AS exams (in Government and Politics) and 4 A2s (G&P and Philosophy). I'm getting super stressed/upset - my offer is AA, but I feel overwhelmed at the prospect of revision. I've finished most of my syllabuses (except for 1/2 unit 4 of Politics) and I've taken notes/done my reading throughout the year, but it's just that doing things like making revision cards seems to take such a long time that more time is dedicated to that than actually memorising info/doing past papers. I study via the NEC, so most of my work is self-directed and as a result I tend to over do it with notes. I have about 100 flash cards, just for one exam. Part of me thinks it might be a good idea just to start trying to get through as many papers as possible/memorising essay plans rather than making reams of notes/study cards because I tend to learn more effectively this way anyway.

Basically, is there a shortcut to figuring out what I need to know without memorising every fact/quote/statistic. I have trouble with my attention-span (get extra time in exams), but this makes it hard for me to study more than 5-6 hours a day. But I'm feeling like if I don't study more I won't meet my offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Nightingale
My exams start in 7 weeks and I have 2 AS exams (in Government and Politics) and 4 A2s (G&P and Philosophy). I'm getting super stressed/upset - my offer is AA, but I feel overwhelmed at the prospect of revision. I've finished most of my syllabuses (except for 1/2 unit 4 of Politics) and I've taken notes/done my reading throughout the year, but it's just that doing things like making revision cards seems to take such a long time that more time is dedicated to that than actually memorising info/doing past papers. I study via the NEC, so most of my work is self-directed and as a result I tend to over do it with notes. I have about 100 flash cards, just for one exam. Part of me thinks it might be a good idea just to start trying to get through as many papers as possible/memorising essay plans rather than making reams of notes/study cards because I tend to learn more effectively this way anyway.

Basically, is there a shortcut to figuring out what I need to know without memorising every fact/quote/statistic. I have trouble with my attention-span (get extra time in exams), but this makes it hard for me to study more than 5-6 hours a day. But I'm feeling like if I don't study more I won't meet my offer.

Use your specification to inform you on what you need to know and what you don't, I use it all the time and its very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest