The Student Room Group

I need some help with managing my time.

Hello,

I am a year 11 student , who is currently taking a fine art GCSE, as well as a textiles GCSE.
My mother also did an art GCSE (O levels at the time) and went onto do a degree in art and so on. She puts extreme pressures on me, wanting me to live up to the expectations she was given when my age- and often gets stressed with it.
Me and my mother do not get along very well; we like very different things, our ways of thinking too. My mother does not understand that, believing that something is wrong with me when I do not think what she thinks. At the moment my GCSE art predicted final mark is a grade 9, while my textiles is a grade 3. When I try to maintain my grade 9 in art, my textiles grade falls as there is not enough time in the day to do both for me. ( I do extra maths, extra history, and extra English tuition too as struggle academically.) My textiles teacher does not like me, I try my best with the time I have- and the fact is that I am just not very good at textiles. She is constantly telling me to stay behind after school, miss out on art catchup events to do textiles ones, give up my breaks and lunch times too. I struggle to say no to teachers, so I have almost no free time at all after everything I have said.
Does any previous or current students doing these subjects have any advice on how to balance art and textiles? I just don't think its possible + the GCSE exams are in three weeks. I really just wanted to write this down to get how I feel out, so I don't mind if no one replies to my question.

Thank you very much,
Moominandsnufkin
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by moominandsnufkin
Hello,

I am a year 11 student in Sussex, who is currently taking a fine art GCSE, as well as a textiles GCSE.
My mother also did an art GCSE (O levels at the time) and went onto do a degree in art and so on. She puts extreme pressures on me, wanting me to live up to the expectations she was given when my age- and often gets stressed with it.
Me and my mother do not get along very well; we like very different things, our ways of thinking too. My mother does not understand that, believing that something is wrong with me when I do not think what she thinks. At the moment my GCSE art predicted final mark is a grade 9, while my textiles is a grade 3. When I try to maintain my grade 9 in art, my textiles grade falls as there is not enough time in the day to do both for me. ( I do extra maths, extra history, and extra English tuition too as struggle academically.) My textiles teacher does not like me, I try my best with the time I have- and the fact is that I am just not very good at textiles. She is constantly telling me to stay behind after school, miss out on art catchup events to do textiles ones, give up my breaks and lunch times too. I struggle to say no to teachers, so I have almost no free time at all after everything I have said.
Does any previous or current students doing these subjects have any advice on how to balance art and textiles? I just don't think its possible + the GCSE exams are in three weeks. I really just wanted to write this down to get how I feel out, so I don't mind if no one replies to my question.

Thank you very much,
Moominandsnufkin

ik this is a sucky situation but dyu mind sacrificing ur 9 in art to get a slightly lower grade (maybe a 7) in exchange for a higher grade in textiles (like a 6)? u cld j cut out 20-30% of the time u spend on art n use that for textiles instead? although i understand that may feel difficult and even frustrating.

alternatively, have u tried speaking to ur head of year abt this? maybe if u let them know that ur struggling to stay on top of everything w ur current workload, they may j let u drop textiles?

if u do decide to persevere w textiles tho/aren't allowed to drop it, u cld always come on here for suggestions/quick improvements to help u raise ur grade - i acc took gcse textiles and got a 9 in my mock and an 8 in the real thing, despite struggling sm in yr10 so i wld be happy to help 😊

and if none of the above options are attractive to u then u cld j do what ur doing now and ultimately ignore textiles if ur fine w flopping one subject so u can do well in all the rest ahah

(also sidenote - ik u kept it vague but maybe dont share where ur from online, esp if it's so public n not relevant to ur q)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by spill_the_tea
ik this is a sucky situation but dyu mind sacrificing ur 9 in art to get a slightly lower grade (maybe a 7) in exchange for a higher grade in textiles (like a 6)? u cld j cut out 20-30% of the time u spend on art n use that for textiles instead? although i understand that may feel difficult and even frustrating.

alternatively, have u tried speaking to ur head of year abt this? maybe if u let them know that ur struggling to stay on top of everything w ur current workload, they may j let u drop textiles?

if u do decide to persevere w textiles tho/aren't allowed to drop it, u cld always come on here for suggestions/quick improvements to help u raise ur grade - i acc took gcse textiles and got a 9 in my mock and an 8 in the real thing, despite struggling sm in yr10 so i wld be happy to help 😊

and if none of the above options are attractive to u then u cld j do what ur doing now and ultimately ignore textiles if ur fine w flopping one subject so u can do well in all the rest ahah

(also sidenote - ik u kept it vague but maybe dont share where ur from online, esp if it's so public n not relevant to ur q)

Dear replier,

Thank you for the advice, I edited my location out, I do not use social media and online forums so I am a bit unaware; I am sorry about that.
It is nice to hear from someone who did textiles as a subject. I did not originally think of asking my head of year to drop the subject- so I may do that tomorrow if possible.
Thank you for your help once again, and have a lovely rest of your evening,

Moominandsnufkin
Dear replier,

Thank you for the advice, I edited my location out, I do not use social media and online forums so I am a bit unaware; I am sorry about that.
It is nice to hear from someone who did textiles as a subject. I did not originally think of asking my head of year to drop the subject- so I may do that tomorrow if possible.
Thank you for your help once again, and have a lovely rest of your evening,

Moominandsnufkin

that's good, j remember not to give personal info out online that u wldnt give to strangers irl bc it's not safe, we're still randoms 😭

i hope that goes well for u tmrw, do update n lmk how it goes!

glad i cld help, and i hope u have a lovely evening too - and try not to stress abt textiles too much! 😊
that's good, j remember not to give personal info out online that u wldnt give to strangers irl bc it's not safe, we're still randoms 😭

glad i cld help, and i hope u have a lovely evening too - and try not to stress abt textiles too much! 😊

Yes, I will let you know!

Moominandsnufkin
Hello,

I went o my head of year, to discuss, and she told me that there was not much point dropping the subject as there is only a couple of weeks until the exam sadly.
Thank you for your help none the less!

moominandsnufkin

Hello,

I went o my head of year, to discuss, and she told me that there was not much point dropping the subject as there is only a couple of weeks until the exam sadly.
Thank you for your help none the less!

moominandsnufkin

im sorry to hear that :frown: when are ur exams tho? aren't gcses usally in may/june? but i suppose if they are so soon then she is right, but if not then it might still be worth it since you would have all of march and april to focus on the rest of your subjects and forget abt textiles.

but yh either way u cld j not bother w textiles anymore or u cld get advice/tips from other ppl taking it/who have alr taken it and maybe boost ur grade up a bit if possible.

good luck tho w whatever u decide to do!
im sorry to hear that :frown: when are ur exams tho? aren't gcses usally in may/june? but i suppose if they are so soon then she is right, but if not then it might still be worth it since you would have all of march and april to focus on the rest of your subjects and forget abt textiles.

but yh either way u cld j not bother w textiles anymore or u cld get advice/tips from other ppl taking it/who have alr taken it and maybe boost ur grade up a bit if possible.

good luck tho w whatever u decide to do!

they do art and textiles exams early this year- or maybe they did it previously? i am not sure. My exam is sometimes between the 20th-30th of march
they do art and textiles exams early this year- or maybe they did it previously? i am not sure. My exam is sometimes between the 20th-30th of march

oh that's so annoying! yh no imho, i think u shld j not worry abt textiles anymore since u dont like it anyways n find it stressful right - j focus completely on ur other subjects and pass everything else n then one bad grade in textiles will hopefully not matter sm. the choice is urs tho ultimately

wishing u all the best 😊
oh that's so annoying! yh no imho, i think u shld j not worry abt textiles anymore since u dont like it anyways n find it stressful right - j focus completely on ur other subjects and pass everything else n then one bad grade in textiles will hopefully not matter sm. the choice is urs tho ultimately

wishing u all the best 😊

Thank you! 😀
Reply 10

(also sidenote - ik u kept it vague but maybe dont share where ur from online, esp if it's so public n not relev

Hello,

I am a year 11 student , who is currently taking a fine art GCSE, as well as a textiles GCSE.

Thank you very much,
Moominandsnufkin

Hi , i would thoroughly recommend dropping one . Realistically , taking both is unnecessary and even looked down upon as they are practically the same qualification . It seems as though it is badly affecting your grade in textiles , particularly as you stated about the poor rapport with the teacher ( the TAG is worth 60 percent of your course ) . I am taking gcse textiles right now , and i can also understand the immense workload that comes with it . You do have to remember though , there is no actual exam for textiles which is beneficial as this takes away 2-3 potential exams on top of your others .
Reply 11
If you don't think you will pass textiles, drop out. If you think you could achieve a 4, or higher, then continue.
Original post by medrbg
Hi , i would thoroughly recommend dropping one . Realistically , taking both is unnecessary and even looked down upon as they are practically the same qualification . It seems as though it is badly affecting your grade in textiles , particularly as you stated about the poor rapport with the teacher ( the TAG is worth 60 percent of your course ) . I am taking gcse textiles right now , and i can also understand the immense workload that comes with it . You do have to remember though , there is no actual exam for textiles which is beneficial as this takes away 2-3 potential exams on top of your others .

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest