The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey univeristy

Hey I’m a first year at Surrey uni, and wanted to know how hard second year is compared to first year. I heard that it’s a lot harder, but is this because of the workload increasing?
Hi @Carter900

I can’t speak for every course at Surrey but for Biomed it does get slightly harder. The workload does increase and as you progress onto the course, the things you learn will become more complex. You’ll also have to juggle with applications if you’ve chosen a PTY year and unlike first year the subsequent years account for your final degree grade. So, there is more pressure to do well.

However, it’s not all doom and gloom. Whilst things get more complex, the content you learn gets more interesting and fun. To be honest if you stay on top of everything, second year is not as hard. Sure, it’s a level up but it’s nothing that you’re not capable of. I think good organisation and time management will prepare you well.

If you ever feel like you’re struggling, please do speak up because there is plenty of support available. Your lecturers and personal tutor know that everyone has ups and downs in life. So please don’t hesitate to ask for help!

Overall, second year is an exciting time and if you put in the genuine effort and hard work, you’ll be fine.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Britina
Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending