The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soanonymous
Clearly not, they seemed to have failed with the education system judging by your lack of correct grammar use.

--

If you're rich and live a lavish fantastic lifestyle, then nothing is wrong with the Conservative party, however if you're the rest of the 95% of the population, everything is wrong with them.
As a student, I'm voting Labour.

I don't think that the party lines are as clear cut as they once we're. Over the course of these five years, we have seen a Conservative party who have slowly shifted to the centre right. They have become less elite ( however, elitism is an irrefutable fact of life ) and more accommodating to those who are hardworking and strive to succeed, whatever their present limitations. I mean that most contentious of all their policies was the legalisation of same set marriage; anathema to the ideals of traditional Conservatives.

David Cameron has worked tirelessly to reform the traditional "nasty party" image of the Conservative party, so much so that political affiliation has been called into question a number of times.

I say count yourselves lucky that we don't have uncompromising Thatcherites like George Osborne and Theresa May as Prime minister , because then you'd really have something to complain about.

Secondly, can I please dispel this longstanding myth many have that only the Conservatives have rich, privately educated politicians. Tony Blair was a privately educated, Oxford graduate Barrister, Ed Miliband was an Economics professor at Harvard : the list goes on! We must stop attempting to belief that politicians must equate to the ordinary working man because honestly that's an idealistic fallacy.

I can't help but feel frustrated when people feel the need to point out that some are wealthier than others. Who cares? As long as you've earned your money by honest means why must you suffer?

The basic principles of Capitalism state that society is irrefutably unequal and a hierarchy of groups must exist. If you work hard and apply yourselve dehabilitating factors such as; gender, age or ethnicity no longer matter. That's what the Conservative stand for and perhaps is what so many take issue with.

People like to believe that one day society will be equal but with the self - serving nature of human beings this isn't a feasible dream . Perhaps if the majority of the Conservative party were not privately educated, unapologetic Capitalists there would not be so much stigma towards them.

I cannot force you to change party affiliations but I hope that you would reconsider your cynical stance on the Conservatives.
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
I don't think that the party lines are as clear cut as they once we're. Over the course of these five years, we have seen a Conservative party who have slowly shifted to the centre right. They have become less elite ( however, elitism is an irrefutable fact of life ) and more accommodating to those who are hardworking and strive to succeed, whatever their present limitations. I mean that most contentious of all their policies was the legalisation of same set marriage; anathema to the ideals of traditional Conservatives.

David Cameron has worked tirelessly to reform the traditional "nasty party" image of the Conservative party, so much so that political affiliation has been called into question a number of times.

I say count yourselves lucky that we don't have uncompromising Thatcherites like George Osborne and Theresa May as Prime minister , because then you'd really have something to complain about.

Secondly, can I please dispel this longstanding myth many have that only the Conservatives have rich, privately educated politicians. Tony Blair was a privately educated, Oxford graduate Barrister, Ed Miliband was an Economics professor at Harvard : the list goes on! We must stop attempting to belief that politicians must equate to the ordinary working man because honestly that's an idealistic fallacy.

I can't help but feel frustrated when people feel the need to point out that some are wealthier than others. Who cares? As long as you've earned your money by honest means why must you suffer?

The basic principles of Capitalism state that society is irrefutably unequal and a hierarchy of groups must exist. If you work hard and apply yourselve dehabilitating factors such as; gender, age or ethnicity no longer matter. That's what the Conservative stand for and perhaps is what so many take issue with.

People like to believe that one day society will be equal but with the self - serving nature of human beings this isn't a feasible dream . Perhaps if the majority of the Conservative party were not privately educated, unapologetic Capitalists there would not be so much stigma towards them.

I cannot force you to change party affiliations but I hope that you would reconsider your cynical stance on the Conservatives.

Why am I not allowed to have an opinion on the Conservatives? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're all a bunch of scum. Actually, I know for a fact I'm not the only one. The fact that Labour are gaining so much support at this crucial point in time just goes to show how much people are fed up of this life that the Conservatives have created these 5years in government. The Conservatives are worried about their public image, and so they should be.

I will never like Conservatives, I will never vote for them. What do you care?
Why am I not allowed to have an opinion on the Conservatives? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're all a bunch of scum. Actually, I know for a fact I'm not the only one. The fact that Labour are gaining so much support at this crucial point in time just goes to show how much people are fed up of this life that the Conservatives have created these 5years in government. The Conservatives are worried about their public image, and so they should be.

I will never like Conservatives, I will never vote for them. What do you care?

For the purposes of this discussion, I would like if we were to have brazen debates about both parties without offending one another. That wasn't me stating that because "I care", but because I think I'd rather enjoy sparring with you.

Secondly, I'd argue that the only reason Labour popularity has surged is because the electorate are no longer as impressionable by the media smears on Ed Miliband, who set to undermine his physical appearance, rather than access the practicalities or rather in practicalities of his policies.

I can admit that the Conservatives were far too presumptuous about this being a landslide victory, and I think they have underestimated Ed. I will not play coy, I was a but disappointed with Cameron ' s initial campaign launch; it lacked the gusto and arrogance I'd rather been looking forward to.

However, I still support the Conservatives as ideolically and judging their performance, they are the only party best equipped to "finish the job" and to paraphrase Warren Harding "return Britain to normalcy"
Throwing out a general question to whoever is willing to answer: I take it the "millions of death", some of you have commented on is in reference to current foreign policy. Care to elaborate?
I dispise the attitude towards the Tory's in Scotland. The weird notion that we cannot ever vote for them and that they are all scum waiting to do us over. Yes Thatcher was bad for Scotland and acted appallingly at times but most of the people that abuse them weren't even alive at the time ffs. Looking at the politicians in Scotland today Ruth Davidson seems the most reasonable and intelligent of them all.

People can't seem to accept that there are gonna need to be cuts and while I don't pretend to be an expert on the economy, Labour tried their way of spending their way out of debt and it appeared to fail while the Conservatives methods while hard for the public do seem to be working when you compare us to other countries and what banks have been saying.

The general public are as thickle as they come and if Labour win then come the next general election the same people who were screaming and shouting about how evil the Tory party were will be saying the same about Labour because things haven't magically gotten better.

I don't agree with allot of the Tory's policies but to be honest I do trust their economic plan which is the most important thing for me and I don't agree with the Labour Party or The SNP's policies even more so. I support UKIP in many ways for their common sense approach and Farage is a good leader but I don't think they can be trusted economically to run the country not to mention while Farage is top notch they have an awful lot of dodgy candidates who I couldn't trust to run country.
The Conservatives want to cut funding for the disabled and carers. Wow. What a great government they will make. Not.
A lot of people don't like the conservatives as they cut benefits, people quite frankly don't like the idea of having to go out and work when having these benefits cut. Unfortunately, benefits for genuine disabled people and their carers have been affected due to people taking advantage of this system. It is because of people taking advantage which has caused such cuts to have to take place. The conservatives have had a very positive effect on the uk government by cutting the deficit significantly, and the labour if they win the election, they will undo all the hard word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blue diamond
A lot of people don't like the conservatives as they cut benefits, people quite frankly don't like the idea of having to go out and work when having these benefits cut. Unfortunately, benefits for genuine disabled people and their carers have been affected due to people taking advantage of this system. It is because of people taking advantage which has caused such cuts to have to take place. The conservatives have had a very positive effect on the uk government by cutting the deficit significantly, and the labour if they win the election, they will undo all the hard word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are people who are in work feeling the squeeze? Why were in work benefits cut?

What is the percentage of fraud in the welfare system?
From Ken Clarke (A Tory)

“We still have not created a rebalanced, modern, competitive economy, which can start producing sustainable rises in living standards and employment laws, and I think it is the single biggest issue affecting the country at the moment that’s my genuine view,”

Talking of the Conservatives’ failure to win an election for 23 years, he said he belongs to the party of pre-1992 that usually won. Asked what that was down to, he said: “Well, it’s become much too rightwing. Which I hope David will continue to seek to redress in coming times.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/ken-clarke-tory-party-is-too-rightwing-and-personal-attacks-wont-work
Yes, I agree, people who work also feel the pressure. Both my parents work and altogether pay around £1000 a month just in tax. 27% of the welfare budget was lost due to fraud. An estimated £3.5 bn was overpaid due to errors and fraud in the welfare system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are the best of a bad bunch.

Basically how it works is Labour get into power, spend lots of money, put the country into debt, get voted out, Conservatives get voted in, sort it out, get voted out, Labour get voted in and so on.

People who blame the Conservatives for losing their jobs, cuts, etc. are blaming the wrong party. It is Labour they should blame: they caused it.
Original post by Shabalala
I dispise the attitude towards the Tory's in Scotland. The weird notion that we cannot ever vote for them and that they are all scum waiting to do us over. Yes Thatcher was bad for Scotland and acted appallingly at times but most of the people that abuse them weren't even alive at the time ffs. Looking at the politicians in Scotland today Ruth Davidson seems the most reasonable and intelligent of them all.

People can't seem to accept that there are gonna need to be cuts and while I don't pretend to be an expert on the economy, Labour tried their way of spending their way out of debt and it appeared to fail while the Conservatives methods while hard for the public do seem to be working when you compare us to other countries and what banks have been saying.

The general public are as thickle as they come and if Labour win then come the next general election the same people who were screaming and shouting about how evil the Tory party were will be saying the same about Labour because things haven't magically gotten better.

I don't agree with allot of the Tory's policies but to be honest I do trust their economic plan which is the most important thing for me and I don't agree with the Labour Party or The SNP's policies even more so. I support UKIP in many ways for their common sense approach and Farage is a good leader but I don't think they can be trusted economically to run the country not to mention while Farage is top notch they have an awful lot of dodgy candidates who I couldn't trust to run country.

You, deserve a cookie.
Reply 52
lmao suck your mum

u dizzy blud?
Original post by Shabalala

Original post by AlecRobertson
They are the best of a bad bunch.

Basically how it works is Labour get into power, spend lots of money, put the country into debt, get voted out, Conservatives get voted in, sort it out, get voted out, Labour get voted in and so on.

People who blame the Conservatives for losing their jobs, cuts, etc. are blaming the wrong party. It is Labour they should blame: they caused it.

I wish more people would listen to this. I just hope that Labour do not win this election. If they do all of the hard work over the last few years will all be undone and we will be in a far worse situation than we are now.
I thought the Conservatives had cut the deficit by a third, not half? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they were boasting about cutting the deficit by a third, despite the fact that in 2010 they had promised to get rid of it by now and have a surplus (meaning their cutting the deficit by a third is a failure).

My problem with the Conservatives is that they're a bunch of lying self serving scum who passed healthcare reforms that financially benefited lots of their MPs and Lords who have financial interests in private healthcare companies, promised to lead the "greenest government ever" and then completely failed to take the environment seriously in government, had a fracking industry paid lobbyist advising the government on energy policy, always target the poor and vulnerable with welfare cuts while pretending that they only crack down on "benefit scroungers", want to force unemployed young people into unpaid work or lose their unemployment benefit (two words - forced labour), have been stuffing the House of Lords with Conservative party donors, want to ban services that use encryption (snapchat, whatsapp, among lots of other things), etc.

Yes, the Conservatives are that bad and I will not be voting for them. Not that I think Labour would be any better though.
Yes.

They're run by the exceptionally wealthy, for the exceptionally wealthy. To their credit they manage to fool enough people to support policies against their own interests (no minimum wage rise, benefit cuts, tax cuts for the rich, being soft on tax avoidance, public services cut) for the interests of the exceptionally wealthy. They do this largely by telling us all that if we give all our money to the top, it will trickle down and benefit us all or some other rubbish.
They then make people believe if we push policies like the minimum wage, that it will harm the economy and every day people will be worse off. When in reality, the only people it will harm would be those at the top.
They manage to make people care more about benefit fraud, which costs the country 1.2 billion then both Tax avoidance and tax evasion, costing us almost 100 times more.

If you're a millionaire, if you're one of the elite, I can fully understand you voting tory. If however you're not, then you really are pissing on your own leg and the most frustrating part is that you can't see it. You're so absorbed by this nonsense 'American Dream' fallacy, that anyone who works hard will be rich and that there are no barriers to success.

The Tory party : Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame poor people.

I'm not sure why people are like this. My guess is the hugely powerful right wing media. The issue of 'inequality' is just never allowed to be discussed. If you're poor, you're jealous, if you're rich you're a hypocrite. Old? Well you're a dinosaur? Young? You're just naive.
They'll do anything they can to keep it off the table. Also they'll absolutely look to insist that you're a hypocrite and make out that to ever complain about inequality you have to live in a box on the street with all your family, give all your earthly possessions away and give all your money to charity. They simply won't allow a discussion of it.

So yes the Conservatives are that bad. I hate them with every ounce of fibre and I will always hate them. I passionately hate who they are, who they stand for and their values and it saddens me immensely to see regular folk brainwashed into supporting their policies of helping the elite to their own and everyone else's disadvantage.

Labour is not perfect, no. Not by any means. But Labour on it's very worst day is 100 times better than the tories on it's very best and that's why I vote for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
And the Labour party are not much better taking into account Labour's mansion tax would include Edward Miliband!!!
Original post by RFowler
I thought the Conservatives had cut the deficit by a third, not half? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they were boasting about cutting the deficit by a third, despite the fact that in 2010 they had promised to get rid of it by now and have a surplus (meaning their cutting the deficit by a third is a failure).

My problem with the Conservatives is that they're a bunch of lying self serving scum who passed healthcare reforms that financially benefited lots of their MPs and Lords who have financial interests in private healthcare companies, promised to lead the "greenest government ever" and then completely failed to take the environment seriously in government, had a fracking industry paid lobbyist advising the government on energy policy, always target the poor and vulnerable with welfare cuts while pretending that they only crack down on "benefit scroungers", want to force unemployed young people into unpaid work or lose their unemployment benefit (two words - forced labour), have been stuffing the House of Lords with Conservative party donors, want to ban services that use encryption (snapchat, whatsapp, among lots of other things), etc.

Yes, the Conservatives are that bad and I will not be voting for them. Not that I think Labour would be any better though.

Receiving JSA and doing Voluntary work in the time you are receiving JSA, where is the problem in this? It gets you into a routine, feel part of a team , fills in gaps on a CV, gain more work experience and more recent references for when you become Employed
Original post by Smithy-Smiths

Secondly, can I please dispel this longstanding myth many have that only the Conservatives have rich, privately educated politicians. Tony Blair was a privately educated, Oxford graduate Barrister, Ed Miliband was an Economics professor at

Ed Miliband went to a state school.
Reply 59
Original post by Bornblue
Ed Miliband went to a state school.

But he did go to Oxford and owns a £2.3 million mansion... and preaches that they care about the working class! What a joke.

Latest

Trending

Trending