The Student Room Group

Which college is better in Oxford?

Hi!
I'm going to apply this year to Oxford for a DPhil in Neuroscience, and well, you know I have to choose a college, the thing is that I've heard that some colleges have this not-friendly-to-foreign-people air or are kind of ultra-conservatives, and certainly I don't want to face racism for years and I'm pretty progresist. Can you tell me the good and bad points? I'm considering Wadham College
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi!
I'm going to apply this year to Oxford for a DPhil in Neuroscience, and well, you know I have to choose a college, the thing is that I've heard that some colleges have this not-friendly-to-foreign-people air or are kind of ultra-conservatives, and certainly I don't want to face racism for years and I'm pretty progresist. Can you tell me the good and bad points? I'm considering Wadham College

Completely depends on what you're prioritising! some colleges aren't 'prestigious' but have very friendly and diverse students if you are looking to have an engaged time with your college community. Luckily there are so many international students in all of the colleges that you should be happy anywhere, but there are some people in every MCR who think that way. I have had weird experiences at Magdelene with overly rich people, and I have been told that grads at Christ Church are not very social. Oxford also attracts people with offensive opinions that feel they have the right to loudly proclaim whatever they want with minimal consequences, these people are often protected by colleges and departments in my own experience. If you genuinely want a more inclusive environment more than anything else you are better off going for a smaller/newer college (but Wadham is known as the "LGBTQ" college!), luckily every college should have a BAME & LGBTQ representative in the MCR and there will be a head of welfare at the college to talk to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending