The Student Room Group

I dont know how to revise and my exams start in less than a month

Hi, i dont really know how to revise and my exams start in under a month. im failing badly in a couple of subjects. my main flaw is i dont know how to revise and i havent really ever revised properly before.

Any advice?
Make notes, make mindmaps, do past papers
Reply 2
my problem is that i dont really know what to make notes or mindmaps on. when ever i make notes i always end up copying an entire page and realize ive accomplished nothing
Reply 3
how to make notes: read the topic one time, then go over it again and highlight what the topic is about. make sure you understand what you are reading, try to explain it to yourself with your own words. if you are stuck, then u don't get it still.Go over it again until you get it. Now write it down in your own words. This is how i make notes. I'm a third year university student and this is my way of studying for 9 year so far.

You need to only study what will come up in the exam. So make sure you only make notes on those topics that you need to, especially as you don't have time to cover everything.
Reply 4
what do you do with your phone and any other electronics you have? even if i put it out of reach i just get up and get them
Reply 5
hey, the very best and most effective way of revising is doing LOADS of past questions. If u don't know the answer to questions, look it up, compare your answers to the answers on the mark scheme, etc. People who get straight A's and A*'s say that this is the best way, because u will learn how to answer questions how the examiner likes, and u will learn facts/info for the exams, and will generally feel more relaxed about doing the actual papers x
Original post by Atwal1
what do you do with your phone and any other electronics you have? even if i put it out of reach i just get up and get them

Give them to your parents and tell them not to give you them back until the end of the day, no matter how much you plead :P
Reply 7
thanks for the suggestions i will give them a try and ill let you know if they worked.
Reply 8
Use the specification to get down everything you need to know into mind maps based on sub-topics/modules. Colour code it, from this I make flashcards, quick fire and exam style, so this wouldn't be the case for an essay question paper. I then type up my notes. Now on the night of an exam I print off these and highlight and rewrite the highlighted bits and continue until there are only a few prompts and then do a past paper. You've got to start thinking as a student, you really don't have the time to waste, so ALWAYS carry revision, just small notes or even record summary sections and listen to them if you're feeling tied down. Do loads of practice paper and have a whiz of the examiner's report. Just keep going, a couple of months and you're free. In all honesty if you pick up one book today that will be more than you've probably done so far, baby steps and motivate yourself, praise yourself for the work you HAVE done instead of the work you HAVEN'T. Get others around you to check up on you as in not going on your phone etc. Draw up a revision timetable and get someone to check how much you've done, pick someone older than you and has expectations therefore you'll want to impress them. What I like to do is have a visual so put up a picture of the Uni you want to go to or the salary you want in the future. Put the exam results you want in an envelope as if it were the ones you want in august and just keep pushing!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
if you have a macbook, download 'self-control' it blocks out all apps that u tell it to for the number of hours u want it to. its free to download and the best part is: once u start, you can't undo or cancel until the specified no of hours run out. u could even restart ur pc and still wouldn't be able to access those sites. it helps me with Facebook/twitter/reddit etc..
- there are apps like these for other pcs too, u can google self control apps there are so many!

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending