The Student Room Group

gsce revision nothing i do ever amounts to anything

every single day i revise for hours yet when i do past papers there's always questions i cant do and i cant understand
flashcards videos revision guides whatever else i will never fully get it if i ate a textbook

i cant remember everything its always they state the obvious and i completely miss

im just stupid at this point no matter how hard i try i will never be able to get more than a 5 because im not good at science i never will be

i say i need to try harder but at this point i might as well not do anything because ill always be wrong anyway

i can never revise enough but when i do revise it doesnt ever feel like ive finished so ill still feel guilt

mocks are in a month im screwed
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
First and foremost, you aren't stupid girlie I assure you, Science is tricky. And also LITTLE AND OFTEN. revising for hours upon hours every day is NOT productive and will just cause more brain fog and frustration (its like ponytail rage - and it is just WORSE when you're doing the same subject and you don't feel yourself improving at all right?!).

Lets review the situation, you have mocks in a month, plenty of time. A few times a week, do a practice paper, have someone mark it, figure out what needs to be worked on most importantly, and then you have a list of revision topics there! and then the rest of the week do your revision cards in about 5 10 minute intervals (or as long as they take) with a 10 minute break in between.

I find this helps see if you actively recall the information your cards are telling you or if its short term memory.

Moreover, it looks like you struggle with question structure and knowing what they're asking you (correct me if I am wrong) and for that I think your best bet is to go on Youtube and find a paper walkthrough, I am dead serious the people who make those are absolute G's and they really break down what the question wants from you and then answer it in a concise and correct manner. SOOO helpful.

Just remember that mocks aren't real, they aren't going to be shown to potential post 16 options, hell they are just so that you can effectively revise what you need to. don't let yourself get too in your own head about it because when you see your predicted grade, if you let that number upset you, you wont improve, you will be hung up over this number but that isn't going to help you.

I hope you feel better soon, get more sleep, drink plenty of water and revise LITTLE AND OFTEN.
Original post by kylantwom
every single day i revise for hours yet when i do past papers there's always questions i cant do and i cant understand
flashcards videos revision guides whatever else i will never fully get it if i ate a textbook

i cant remember everything its always they state the obvious and i completely miss

im just stupid at this point no matter how hard i try i will never be able to get more than a 5 because im not good at science i never will be

i say i need to try harder but at this point i might as well not do anything because ill always be wrong anyway

i can never revise enough but when i do revise it doesnt ever feel like ive finished so ill still feel guilt

Sounds like Chicken Little has spoken.

List of questions to ask:

When you do past papers and mark yourself on them, have you reviewed your answers and looked into why you didn't get the marks that you wanted?

Have you spoken to a teacher for advice?

Do you have a tutor?

Do you have a study buddy from school or know of someone who is smarter than you to help you with study?

Instead of blindly studying and revising, have you looked into study techniques and exam techniques? Have you found some that are suited to your learning style/work for you best?

Have you looked into what is holding you back?

Have you looked into your self esteem/confidence issues? Lack of confidence can unwittingly hamper your progress unncessarily. At the same time, too much confidence can make you complacent.

Overgeneralisation doesn't help; you would need to be specific. What do you think is specifically the issue here?

If there is something else on your mind, it might help to talk it through as well (with professionals such as counsellors if necessary). A scattered mind isn't conducive for study or exam performance. Does this apply to you?

You also don't memorise everything from passive learning; you need to be active i.e. try active recall (Notion AI tends to work well with this sort of revision style). What other revision strategies have you looked into?

Reply 3
Original post by Glumdrops
First and foremost, you aren't stupid girlie I assure you, Science is tricky. And also LITTLE AND OFTEN. revising for hours upon hours every day is NOT productive and will just cause more brain fog and frustration (its like ponytail rage - and it is just WORSE when you're doing the same subject and you don't feel yourself improving at all right?!).

Lets review the situation, you have mocks in a month, plenty of time. A few times a week, do a practice paper, have someone mark it, figure out what needs to be worked on most importantly, and then you have a list of revision topics there! and then the rest of the week do your revision cards in about 5 10 minute intervals (or as long as they take) with a 10 minute break in between.

I find this helps see if you actively recall the information your cards are telling you or if its short term memory.

Moreover, it looks like you struggle with question structure and knowing what they're asking you (correct me if I am wrong) and for that I think your best bet is to go on Youtube and find a paper walkthrough, I am dead serious the people who make those are absolute G's and they really break down what the question wants from you and then answer it in a concise and correct manner. SOOO helpful.

Just remember that mocks aren't real, they aren't going to be shown to potential post 16 options, hell they are just so that you can effectively revise what you need to. don't let yourself get too in your own head about it because when you see your predicted grade, if you let that number upset you, you wont improve, you will be hung up over this number but that isn't going to help you.

I hope you feel better soon, get more sleep, drink plenty of water and revise LITTLE AND OFTEN.

thank you for the advice but i dont feel much better

if i revise little and often im going to feel guilty for not trying hard enough when i inevitably fail anyway i will always feel guilty im not revising enough of anything else but science and thats awful

if i fail my mocks im not going to get into college unless i beg them after i do my actual gsces and somehow do well everyone keeps telling me that
idk if i should move to foundation
i dont even want to do it any further
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by kylantwom

quality > quantity of revision
Use physics and maths tutor for gcse revision and their flash cards. Do practice questions.
Use freesciencelessons
Search up any topic you struggling with in gcse on youtube. Come on, take the initiative.
Do textbook questions for maths. Finish the textbook, do past papers.
make a timetable/to do list of things you want to get done each day.

A bit a day is better than cramming a lot of hours in less days less consistently.
Focus on understanding and then memorise.
Focus on the fundamentals as well, this goes for all of your subjects
Could use anki to make online flash cards.

Start taking responsibility now, you're lucky you get to use tsr to get these good responses. You have already taken a bit of responsibility anyways from asking this question which is great, just keep being more responsibile and efficient with your time in regards to revision etc.
Would help if you searched up like GCSE EDEXCEL Maths or something, there's youtubers that go through syllabuses of different examboards for all of your subjects.

You can do a lot better than you are currently if you start working efficiently and clearly with your revision.
also consider getting textbooks or asking your school if you can borrow one, especially for maths, start from chapter 1 etc, ask help online in tsr if you need it given that you attempted it.
borrowing textbooks can be pretty neat for languages as well and humanities.
PhysicsAndmathstutor is fantastic website for science notes etc. they also have flashcards
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest