The Student Room Group

I am dyspraxic and dyslexic Ask me anything:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moment of truth
Have you passed your driving test? If so, how do you find driving as a whole?

This may seem like a weird question, but I started my driving lessons and think I am finding it harder due to my dyspraxia which means it takes me longer to process the things my instructor is saying and as a result I am not learning as quickly as I could be or it could just be that I am not very good at the moment :lol:

Its not a weird question to ask at all :smile:
I tried learning last summer, it took me 4 goes to pass my theory.
Basically, after 12 lessons in an automatic and a not particularly understanding instructor and a near crash on the 11th lesson i decided to take a break from it.
So you possibly are finding it difficult due to your dyspraxia. I ve never wanted to give up on anything because of my dyspraxia but was feeling so unsafe and exhausted after just one hour, i think driving may be the one thing my dyspraxia stops me doing. i may try again in the future but not for a while
Original post by claireestelle
Its not a weird question to ask at all :smile:
I tried learning last summer, it took me 4 goes to pass my theory.
Basically, after 12 lessons in an automatic and a not particularly understanding instructor and a near crash on the 11th lesson i decided to take a break from it.
So you possibly are finding it difficult due to your dyspraxia. I ve never wanted to give up on anything because of my dyspraxia but was feeling so unsafe and exhausted after just one hour, i think driving may be the one thing my dyspraxia stops me doing. i may try again in the future but not for a while

Ahh okay. I am pretty determined to pass my test and be able to drive pretty soon (only had a few lessons so far though :colondollar:) so gonna carry on with it for a while, but I do think it is because of my dyspraxia.

Having a break from it all and then going back later on is always a good thing to do :smile:
Ahh okay. I am pretty determined to pass my test and be able to drive pretty soon (only had a few lessons so far though :colondollar:) so gonna carry on with it for a while, but I do think it is because of my dyspraxia.

Having a break from it all and then going back later on is always a good thing to do :smile:

fair play to you for keeping trying:smile: just dont let it stress you out like i did

i think i ll only go back to it if i absolutely need to drive, i m pretty happy sticking to long journies by train at the moment:smile:
fair play to you for keeping trying:smile: just dont let it stress you out like i did

i think i ll only go back to it if i absolutely need to drive, i m pretty happy sticking to long journies by train at the moment:smile:

Yeah, will try not to let it affect me too much.

Haha yeah, fair enough. I don't really need to drive either, but family have been pressurizing me to learn for ages now so may as well :tongue:
Yeah, will try not to let it affect me too much.

Haha yeah, fair enough. I don't really need to drive either, but family have been pressurizing me to learn for ages now so may as well :tongue:

Why are they pressurizing you? hope they understand dyspraxia makes it a little difficult to drive:P
Why are they pressurizing you? hope they understand dyspraxia makes it a little difficult to drive:P

Cause its taken me over 2 years to actually start learning and im pretty sure they wouldn't be happy if I just quit now. I haven't told them that I think it is harder due to dyspraxia, but gonna take a few more lessons and see how it goes first :tongue:
Cause its taken me over 2 years to actually start learning and im pretty sure they wouldn't be happy if I just quit now. I haven't told them that I think it is harder due to dyspraxia, but gonna take a few more lessons and see how it goes first :tongue:

took me a similar amount of time, my first theory attempt was at 17, didnt get in a car till 19:P good idea:smile:
took me a similar amount of time, my first theory attempt was at 17, didnt get in a car till 19:P good idea:smile:

Thats a big gap :redface:

How has your day been? :smile:

I don't really like AMA's but some of them (like yours) are interesting enough to post in them :tongue: :biggrin:
hoping i wont find it too hard to learn how to stick needles in people

Hahahaha XD
Yes I imagine there is more to it than just making sure you have the right person, then spearing them in the arm :wink:
I would be an awful nurse XD
Thats a big gap :redface:

How has your day been? :smile:

I don't really like AMA's but some of them (like yours) are interesting enough to post in them :tongue: :biggrin:

Took me a while to not be scared getting into the car.
Not really done much with my day at all:tongue:
I didn't think there d be so many dyslexics/dyspraxic to talk to on here:smile:
Original post by Lissy14
Hahahaha XD
Yes I imagine there is more to it than just making sure you have the right person, then spearing them in the arm :wink:

There's loads to it but I ll apparently get to practice on many plastic arms so hopefully get it right in the end.

Why d you say that? :tongue:
As it says in the title:smile:

i'm the same so i have to ask how often do you find you have to explain what dyspraxia is?
Original post by chelseafreak
i'm the same so i have to ask how often do you find you have to explain what dyspraxia is?

most times when i tell people i have it really:smile:

my boyfriend and a couple of friends actually knew what it was but that was a suprise to me:smile:
Took me a while to not be scared getting into the car.
Not really done much with my day at all:tongue:
I didn't think there d be so many dyslexics/dyspraxic to talk to on here:smile:

Yeah, samee.

Same, pleasantly surprised though. :smile: It is good to talk to others who understand what it's like to live with dyspraxia.
most times when i tell people i have it really:smile:

my boyfriend and a couple of friends actually knew what it was but that was a suprise to me:smile:

yeah it is surprising when someone already knows, most of the time i hear "i've heard of dyslexia but whats dyspraxia?"
Original post by chelseafreak
yeah it is surprising when someone already knows, most of the time i hear "i've heard of dyslexia but whats dyspraxia?"

oh i ve had that phrase a lot:P
Yeah, samee.

Same, pleasantly surprised though. :smile: It is good to talk to others who understand what it's like to live with dyspraxia.

it is nice to speak to people who know what its like, there's only so much non dyspraxics can understand.
oh i ve had that phrase a lot:P

it does happen a lot, i just say i basically have **** balance and think differently that normally satisfy's people.
it is nice to speak to people who know what its like, there's only so much non dyspraxics can understand.

Completely agree. I had a head injury which has affected my memory and balance mainly (speech on occasion, but now only when I'm tired). On top of the dyspraxia, there are days when I should just stay in bed :biggrin:

It's hard to explain to people when they get frustrated that forgetting things and being incredibly clumsy are not deliberate. It's nice when other people 'get it' :smile:
Original post by Lissy14
Hahahaha XD

Stalk :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest