The Student Room Group

Advice on studying overseas

So basically I’m Northern Irish and have recently got accepted to a course in Cardiff which I’m kind of leaning towards a wee bit. My mum doesn’t want me studying overseas because she thinks I won’t be able to cope (I’m dyspraxic and have anxiety) however, I’ve had experience travelling alone before and staying in other countries and while it doesn’t really compare to uni, I still think that taking this approach would be what I want?
What should I do about this?
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to Cardiff! I am glad to hear you are excited about starting university!

Despite your anxiety, you experienced travelling alone and enjoyed it, which shows you're familiar with adapting to new environments.

But in order to address your concerns about studying overseas and making the right decision, make sure to consider the following thoughts.

Reflect on your past experiences of traveling alone and consider how you managed your anxiety then. You may realise that university life can be both exciting and challenging, so it will be very important to prioritize your mental well-being.

Additionally, try connecting with current and former Cardiff students who have similar conditions as they can share their experiences and coping strategies.

Moreover, Cardiff University has a great disability support team so make sure to ask questions about their support and services.

Furthermore, make sure to plan ahead in order to manage your anxiety and dyspraxia. For example, consider factors like transportation, routines and study environments.

In addition, try to communicate with your mum and understand her worries. You can tell she deeply cares about you and your well-being so assure her that you will prioritize self-care and to immediately seek help when needed.

Lastly, trust your instincts. You mentioned that this approach aligns with what you want so trust that intuition. And remember that growth often happens outside our comfort zones.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending