The Student Room Group

Learning *very* basic sport skills

I am not sure how to learn basic sports skills. I have always been interested in sports, but unfortunately, I lack the basic skills required to participate in any sport. I cannot kick a ball without missing, I cannot throw and catch objects without missing, and I cannot hit objects with bats or tennis racquets. Moreover, I do not know how football works or its rules beyond just kicking in the opposite direction.

I want to pick up a sport, but my lack of basic skills is extremely limiting. It is upsetting not being able to do something that everyone else can, and never being taught anything like this has made life difficult. I also have poor reaction time, which makes it even harder for me to learn.

I have searched online for resources to learn these skills, but I have not found anything helpful. I am stuck and do not know where to start. I am hoping that people can offer me some guidance on how to learn these basic skills? I don't know where to start.

It's hard seeing people being taught such things as kids so all these skills are natural to most, so it's difficult for anyone to show me how. My friends have given up, many have tried when I said I wanted to get into sport's, despite my determination anyone trying to show me the basics gives up. It feels like I'm stupid, like I'm not understanding what 2+2 is.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by nopey123
I am not sure how to learn basic sports skills. I have always been interested in sports, but unfortunately, I lack the basic skills required to participate in any sport. I cannot kick a ball without missing, I cannot throw and catch objects without missing, and I cannot hit objects with bats or tennis racquets. Moreover, I do not know how football works or its rules beyond just kicking in the opposite direction.

I want to pick up a sport, but my lack of basic skills is extremely limiting. It is upsetting not being able to do something that everyone else can, and never being taught anything like this has made life difficult. I also have poor reaction time, which makes it even harder for me to learn.

I have searched online for resources to learn these skills, but I have not found anything helpful. I am stuck and do not know where to start. I am hoping that people can offer me some guidance on how to learn these basic skills? I don't know where to start.

It's hard seeing people being taught such things as kids so all these skills are natural to most, so it's difficult for anyone to show me how. My friends have given up, many have tried when I said I wanted to get into sport's, despite my determination anyone trying to show me the basics gives up. It feels like I'm stupid, like I'm not understanding what 2+2 is.

Bless you. It's frustrating when you struggle with things that seem easy to other people, but it doesn't make you 'stupid'.

I'm crap at most sports-especially those involving hand-eye co-ordination. Strangely, I'm decent at dancing, swimming, and cycling, and used to be a good sprinter (I can't run at all now!) so I don't think I'm dyspraxic.

At middle school, I'd get picked second to last and my friend (who I'm fairly sure is dyspraxic) was always last; we'd get grief from the other kids lol. Funnily enough, my parents and brother are good at things like this.

Quick Reply

Latest