The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Get yourself a nice little vocabulary book... mot a mot seems to be a popular choice. Another way is to read articles on french websites and if you don't know any words in the article, look them up and write them down. Get a good big dictionary, my collins spanish one is really good and it gives you some useful little phrases which will come in handy.

And remember to use all the vocab you learn. If you don't use it, you lose it! :p:
Reply 2
Personally I just seem to pick French vocab up and it sticks. Try to read magazines, papers etc and you'll find yourself seeing a useful words which you perhaps came across in class in front of you lots of times.

Like you learnt a new word in class but because you came across it in a newspaper or magazine, it sticks in your mind more. Try to be curious as well: try saying complex stuff and if you find yourself not knowing a certain verb manipulate your language at that point to get your point across but then go away and look up the word you didn't know.
Reply 3
Best way is to read. Try and get a hold of any simple French newspaper or magazine. Read, read, read and read! :smile:
Reply 4
think of a funny way to say the word, so that when u see it again, u recognize it. also come up with weird stories/incidents to help remember a word e.g. i know that 'ravi' means delighted because i have an annoying uncle called ravi who's always miserable!
this sounds crazy but it works for me!!
also listen to french radio e.g. europe1 and read frenh articles - then words will come naturally!!! :smile:
Reply 5
thanks everyone , do you guys know any good french websites with not too difficuilt language?
Reply 6
try Le Monde... its relatively simple.

Also, try wikipedia in french, its quite interesting.
Reply 7
Blondie22
I am currently studying for as french and i seem to be laking in vocab does anyone have any tips how to build this up? or any books to read or websites that I can use to build this up?

thanks!

Lather, rinse and repeat...

Always repeat.

As a nice little tip, I would try and get some idiomatic expressions in there, the exam body loves them. If you can pull them off effectively in an exam, you'll get a nice grade.

There is a book called "101 French Idioms" - its really funny and will help you remember the specific vocab needed. Worth a late christmas present methinks.
Get a good vocab book. I used 'Advanced French Vocabulary' by Philip Horsfall. It's got sections for all the topics, then some really handy essay phrases (which I'm still using at uni) at the back. Also read newspapers and, if you can get hold of them, magazines. I usually read Le Monde, but weswetters is right that it's probably the hardest. Liberation is a bit easier, if I remember rightly, or there's also le Figaro.
Reply 9
Repeating what Kelly said...I have Horsfall's "Advanced French vocabulary" which sorts vocabulary out into sections. I learn these each night - not too many words, but perhaps 10-20 words. This puts me in a good place in my language learning. Also, yet again as Kelly said, I like to read 'Le Monde'; It's a very difficult paper, and I find myself digging into my dictionary every now and then, but you can read for gist easily, but try to learn unknown words. This exposes you to more words, leaving you more likely to get a higher grade in the end:biggrin:
wesetters
No it isn't!

Le Monde is about the most difficult newspaper to read in French...

Maybe I'm thinking of something else then :/

sorry.
Reply 11
hey

don't wry. i'mdoin as french as well and i as freakin out abt vocab until a month ago wen i found a comprehensve a-level vocab booklet on the internet. its a word document. if u PM me wth ur email..i can send it to u. i personally feel its excellent especially if ur doin edexcel cuz most of the words on there appear in past papers
Could I get a copy of that booklet by any chance?
Reply 13
Anybody could help me finding the italian/french and french/italian Collins electronic dictionary mot to mot translation?
Very hard discover a simple copy for my studies.

I believe you can get it through PC at Liverpool university.....

Thanks in advance to all of you.
you can try and get a copy of mot a mot vocab book, that will help a lot
Reply 15
I do not understand where can I find the electronic dictionary ......collin)s ?

Latest

Trending

Trending