The Student Room Group

National 5 History Exam Questions

Hey there! The History exam is in 8 days, and I'm very confident in my skills to pass (and hopefully get a good pass) in the exam.

However, I'm having some doubts about the 'To what extent...' questions, and what exactly can come up. I know - or at least, strongly believe - that the 'To what extent...' will not appear in the British section, so I've tried to think of what could be asked for Scottish and European & World.

For Scottish, I'm studying Era of the Great War.
For British, I'm studying Atlantic Slave Trade.
For European & World, I'm studying Hitler and Nazi Germany.

I'll try and share the 'To what extent...' questions I have for these topics, and if you have any ideas/your teacher gave you practice questions on these topics, you could read these or even suggest/share them to me and other readers to practice on.

SCOTTISH - The Era of the Great War

To what extent did developments in new technology help to break the stalemate on the Western Front?

To what extent does poor military tactics explain why casualty figures were so high in the First World War?

To what extent does the use of propaganda explain why so many men enlisted to fight in thee First World War?

To what extent does poor management explain why so many men enlisted to fight in the First World War?

To what extent do the Suffragette campaigns explain why women were given the vote in 1918?

BRITISH - The Atlantic Slave Trade

EUROPEAN AND WORLD - Hitler and Nazi Germany

Thank you for reading, good luck if you're sitting National 5 History!
Reply 1
I got a National 5, specimen paper booklet from my teacher and looking through it the, To What Extent question appears mainly in The Atlantic Slave Trade topic although last year the To What Extent was in The Atlantic Slave Trade section and I doubt SQA will do the same again?
Examples:
To what extent was the success of the abolitionist campaigns due to the work of campaigners such as Thomas Clarkson? (8 marks)

To what extent can the abolition of the slave trade be explained by the actions of abolitionist campaigners in Parliament? (8 marks)

To what extent was the success of the abolitionist campaigns due to the work of William Wilberforce? (8 marks)

To what extent was the case of the Zong important to the growth of the abolitionist campaign? (8 marks)

To what extent was the abolition movement important in bringing about the end of the slave trade? (8 marks)

On Hitler and Nazi Germany, I have very few to none other than,
To what extent was appeasement the result of a misunderstanding of Hitler's aims? (8 marks)
sorry i know its a late but hopefully this could help other people who come across this post....
Hitler and Nazi Germany
(I recieved this question in my prelim) : To what extent was the success of the Nazi party due to the party's ideology?
To what extent was the unpopularity of the Treaty of Versailles due to the territorial terms?
To what extent was the unpopularity of the Weimar Republic due to the new voting system being confusing for the German people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending