The Student Room Group

is it too late to start revising with only 5 weeks left

hey im currently stressed that gcse students only have 5 weeks left!! like what time flew so quick..anyways i've alrdy started revising but only a little and its not really efficient (producing flash cards). Im aiming for grade 6's in my gcse's. here are my predicted and latest mock results. Pls let me know if i still have time to make a change to my grades.

maths mocks=3 predicted=5
english lang mock=3 predicted=6
english lit mock=2 predicted=5
combined science foundation mock=? predicted=5 (aiming for a 4)
Re mock=2 predicted=7 (recently got a 8 in theme b test bcz i revised)
Business mock=5 predicted=6 (aiming for 6/7)
history mock=4 predicted=5 (aiming for a 6 bcz latest i revised and got a 6)
urdu foundation mock=4 predicted=4 (idc abt urdu jst need to pass)

Scroll to see replies

yes 100% but with hard work, now goooo reviseee gl
Original post by ...hehe
hey im currently stressed that gcse students only have 5 weeks left!! like what time flew so quick..anyways i've alrdy started revising but only a little and its not really efficient (producing flash cards). Im aiming for grade 6's in my gcse's. here are my predicted and latest mock results. Pls let me know if i still have time to make a change to my grades.

then do a lot, burnout occurs but that's after months from my experience .
advice:
put your all and revise. revise the content via a cpg book. know it for sure. use a technique like blurting or flashcards ( they have to be pre made, go on quizlet and anki). you time is limited if you want to access high grades such as 7,8,9s which are possible. with a six its not that hard. you need to do past papers, practise questions. use websites like cognito, seneca, or yotubers like primrose kitten and free science lessons. its better to aim for the best than a specific grade.

start practising, stop wasting time, and get on the grind. while gcse's don't mean much, it can have an effect on certain courses and sixth forms for the best grades. the most you need is six's as you have stated, maybe even 7.

small rant.
note: while I don't need to be mean, saying you revised and for others you ddin't is meaningless, while it may be a mock, at least try somewhat, don't use it as an excuse or reason, you also want to see where did wrong and what to improve, maybe teachers aren't the best but its still good. a person I used to tutor, didn't do work for his mocks ( before tutoring) he didn't care, after he got convinced to try he did do well. that is true ( you should work) , but don't get complacent just because you didn't revise. you don't know what works the best. i say this as who doesn't want to do the best ( you studied 2 years for this) and you very well still could get the best of your ability (grades wise).

point being stop stressing and telling everyone on a website and get to work.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dazza07h
yes 100% but with hard work, now goooo reviseee gl

help need to start doing all nighters for the next few weeks
Reply 4
Original post by jacksmith23
then do a lot, burnout occurs but that's after months from my experience .
advice:
put your all and revise. revise the content via a cpg book. know it for sure. use a technique like blurting or flashcards ( they have to be pre made, go on quizlet and anki). you time is limited if you want to access high grades such as 7,8,9s which are possible. with a six its not that hard. you need to do past papers, practise questions. use websites like cognito, seneca, or yotubers like primrose kitten and free science lessons. its better to aim for the best than a specific grade.
start practising, stop wasting time, and get on the grind. while gcse's don't mean much, it can have an effect on certain courses and sixth forms for the best grades. the most you need is six's as you have stated, maybe even 7.
small rant.
note: while I don't need to be mean, saying you revised and for others you ddin't is meaningless, while it may be a mock, at least try somewhat, don't use it as an excuse or reason, you also want to see where did wrong and what to improve, maybe teachers aren't the best but its still good. a person I used to tutor, didn't do work for his mocks ( before tutoring) he didn't care, after he got convinced to try he did do well. that is true ( you should work) , but don't get complacent just because you didn't revise. you don't know what works the best. i say this as who doesn't want to do the best ( you studied 2 years for this) and you very well still could get the best of your ability (grades wise).
point being stop stressing and telling everyone on a website and get to work.

ngl this gave me motivation to start revising ( i was literally revising re and decided to this...) but thanks xx
Original post by ...hehe
ngl this gave me motivation to start revising ( i was literally revising re and decided to this...) but thanks xx

good luck, just give it your all, I have confidence in your abilities even if I haven;t seen them.

sleep is very important. keep sleeping healthy like 9 hours. what you should do is spend you weekend revising like during 9-10 hours you study for 40 mins, take a 10 minute break and continue till you loose focus, take a longer break and get back to work. make a routine on what your going to revise, as it builds on habits and you know what you are doing if you haven't already
Reply 6
Original post by jacksmith23
good luck, just give it your all, I have confidence in your abilities even if I haven;t seen them.
sleep is very important. keep sleeping healthy like 9 hours. what you should do is spend you weekend revising like during 9-10 hours you study for 40 mins, take a 10 minute break and continue till you loose focus, take a longer break and get back to work. make a routine on what your going to revise, as it builds on habits and you know what you are doing if you haven't already

So true but i ahe a very short attention span...like after 30 minutes i'll lose concentration or get tired and just start using social media for like the next 2 hrs....(ik its bad)
Original post by ...hehe
So true but i ahe a very short attention span...like after 30 minutes i'll lose concentration or get tired and just start using social media for like the next 2 hrs....(ik its bad)

Put your phone away in a different room or even better, give it to someone and ask them not to give it back until a certain time. Even if you put your phone across the room, it will always peck at your concentration, calling out for you to use it- so best to prevent it from destroying your flow. And I saw you said you are revising R.E., I'm saying not to revise it, but right now I'd start at the Maths and the English- unless you are revising on them and revising R.E. for a bit.
Reply 8
Original post by Dazza07h
Put your phone away in a different room or even better, give it to someone and ask them not to give it back until a certain time. Even if you put your phone across the room, it will always peck at your concentration, calling out for you to use it- so best to prevent it from destroying your flow. And I saw you said you are revising R.E., I'm saying not to revise it, but right now I'd start at the Maths and the English- unless you are revising on them and revising R.E. for a bit.

i dont usually have my phone when i revise but the problem is i can literally access insta on the laptop i revise on soooo ykyk (im done 4). and i dont revise for eng lang i revised for maths yesterday for an hr only bcz i was fasting and also wanst feeling well....
Original post by ...hehe
i dont usually have my phone when i revise but the problem is i can literally access insta on the laptop i revise on soooo ykyk (im done 4). and i dont revise for eng lang i revised for maths yesterday for an hr only bcz i was fasting and also wanst feeling well....

download cold turkey and do revise for eng lang because you that is more important than english literature as it is literally compulsory along with maths,
Reply 10
Yes! Go revise! Use active recall techniques. Then come back on results day and tell us how it went (if you want).
Original post by ...hehe

js wanted to clarify as there are already other responses that there is 7 weeks left! not 5, if that makes you feel a bit better.
Reply 12
Original post by studyfor9s
js wanted to clarify as there are already other responses that there is 7 weeks left! not 5, if that makes you feel a bit better.

:redface: Omg!!! 7 weeks to revise!! than god
Reply 13
Original post by Lugg13
Yes! Go revise! Use active recall techniques. Then come back on results day and tell us how it went (if you want).

u have any techniques i could use??!!! im currently doing notes, flashcards and mind maps i plan on doing past papers for maths now but other subjects in like 2 weeks bcz im still going through content (i'll make sure to come on results day...if i pass)
Reply 14
thanks!!
Original post by ...hehe

Hi im in the same boat as you! My national 5 exams (Scottish GCSE equivalent) are in 4 weeks aaaa. Basically save your past papers for once you know the knowledge. if your exam board has a course spec use it as a checklist to avoid wasting time learning unnecessary info. Also I recommend YouTube as it has so many good videos. for maths watch the channel called "clelland maths" although it is for national 5 it still explains some overlapping maths concepts very well. And also if possible try to memorise most essays (for nat 5 there could be max 10 so I practice writing them). And I want to emphasis YOU STILL HAVE TIME! I got all F and D in my October prelims but in my February prelims I got all A.

In summary take notes from the course spec, YouTube if you aren't sure of anything, make flashcards with the things you got wrong. also don't spend to long making aesthetic notes. I used to make cool notes but it wasn't actually going in my brain. Ooo make mind maps from memory and only use notes when you really need to.

Goodluck and makes sure to stay positive. You can do this and have a good amount of time to prepare. stay calm and do one task at a time. sometimes I just do one subject a day so I can really focus. And don't listen to kids that do like 20 hour study sessions. it's unrealistic. take breaks and makes sure not to burn out and get good sleep.

Manifesting the best outcomes and good luck with GCSE!
Reply 16
Original post by ...hehe
u have any techniques i could use??!!! im currently doing notes, flashcards and mind maps i plan on doing past papers for maths now but other subjects in like 2 weeks bcz im still going through content (i'll make sure to come on results day...if i pass)

I personally really like to use blurting techniques. You could also try teaching other people, which seems to be one of the most effective techniques there is.
Original post by ...hehe

do as many past papers you can find, the topics you get wrong in the past papers go back and revise them, start by doing the past papers open book/using resources but dont look at the mark scheme
Reply 18
Original post by Melissa200
Hi im in the same boat as you! My national 5 exams (Scottish GCSE equivalent) are in 4 weeks aaaa. Basically save your past papers for once you know the knowledge. if your exam board has a course spec use it as a checklist to avoid wasting time learning unnecessary info. Also I recommend YouTube as it has so many good videos. for maths watch the channel called "clelland maths" although it is for national 5 it still explains some overlapping maths concepts very well. And also if possible try to memorise most essays (for nat 5 there could be max 10 so I practice writing them). And I want to emphasis YOU STILL HAVE TIME! I got all F and D in my October prelims but in my February prelims I got all A.
In summary take notes from the course spec, YouTube if you aren't sure of anything, make flashcards with the things you got wrong. also don't spend to long making aesthetic notes. I used to make cool notes but it wasn't actually going in my brain. Ooo make mind maps from memory and only use notes when you really need to.
Goodluck and makes sure to stay positive. You can do this and have a good amount of time to prepare. stay calm and do one task at a time. sometimes I just do one subject a day so I can really focus. And don't listen to kids that do like 20 hour study sessions. it's unrealistic. take breaks and makes sure not to burn out and get good sleep.

Thanks!!! i completely forfot to look at course specs from the actual exam boards so i'll do that first!!! But thanks x Hope u do will with ur national 5 exams!!!
Original post by Melissa200

ive done my GCSEs and currently doing alevels, dont save your past papers start them now!!! its the best way to see what knowledge your lacking on and going over the content, and even if you do finish them, you can redo them, the questions in the past papers are the exact same as the ones in the exams so its good to know them and memorise how they are wanted

Quick Reply

Latest