The Student Room Group

HADECS3 Cameras - Anyone know the real deal?

So I had my first experience with these cameras yesterday. As soon as I entered j13 I saw these cameras on poles lining the sides of the motorway.
Are these things on all the time, even when the smart motorway isn't in use?
I've been researching and I'm still not quite sure on the answer!

Another question but this time regarding the HADECS on the gantries: Will these cameras nab me for doing, say, 71/2? There were two or three instances when my sat nav tod me I was over the speed limit so I wondered if these cameras had some sort of leniency?
And again, are these cameras always on are they just in use when the smart motorway is?

Sorry for all of the questions but I have a few months left before I pass being a driver for two years and with all of these cameras, my increasing knowledge and to be honest, a few 'horror' stories, paranoia is setting in. :frown:
Thanks in advance for your answers all!
Normal GATSO's (yellow boxes) give you 10% leniency from 'true speed' ie. the speed your gps shows, not your car speedo as those are usually optimistic (but can be pessimistic which is why they give you 10% leniency).

I have heard that average speed cameras give you 20%. I think that is to allow the 10% plus a bit of overtaking and mild straying. I would be apprehensive of being more than 10% over. Up to and including 10% over, though, you will be 100% fine (as long as you are using your gps speed, not a potentially inaccurate speedo speed).
Reply 2
No one really knows when they are operational, or what speed you need to be doing for them to activate. They flash even when you aren't speeding. Variable speed limits often change between every gantry to try and catch you out. Apparently many are dummy cameras that aren't plugged into anything. There's is/was a review going on but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything other than them being painted yellow. Your only option is to just play it safe.
Reply 3
I think I'll just stick to 65 from now on. I think it's a shame that you can't even do 70 (the legal limit) comfortably without worrying about these things.

And I didn't even know there was a review. It would be interesting to see what it says... If it ever gets published.
Reply 4
It's very unclear. Some are definitely real, on and issuing tickets. Others aren't.

However it seems that they give you a lot of leeway.

Of course in law, even 71MPH is illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending