The Student Room Group

Why am I getting told I look the same as my photos?

I am not photogenic at all and I can tell by looking in the mirror, when I take normal photos without any filters I can very obviously see a difference, my forehead tends to look bigger in photos, my nose looks larger, these subtle differences that make a difference. My family members also agree with me, especially my brother he says he can see a big difference. When I showed them WITHOUT me even mentioning them, they all said the exact same things as I had noticed (forehead looks larger, nose looks bigger, face looks longer etc)

But whenever I ask friends they ALWAYS say I look exactly like my photos irl and I don't look better in person. And I am perplexed because the mirror which is a better representation and not distorted that theres alot of differences in my appearance. But when I ask them and say I think I look better irl, they say I look the same.

Now what I don't understand is the moment I put on filters people are quick to say that looks nothing like me, so its not like they're doing it to be nice.

Today I did an experiment and approached 5 random people and showed them an unedited photo of myself I took there and asked them 'do I look the same in my photos or the better irl', 3 of them said I look the same, 1 said I look better in person because I look very sad in the photo (more to do with expression) and the 5th person said the only difference I can see is that you are pouting your lips in the photo but otherwise you look the same.

Literally every girl gets told she is much more beautiful in real life so its definitely a thing

What confirms further that I don't look like my photos is people who have not seen me irl like on tiktok lives where they do ratings, on dating apps, on other forums people say I am not good looking at all (based off pictures), they rate me like a 4-5/10 but irl I get look backs often when I am walking on the street and I dress fully covered up so I know its my face. I get random strangers complimenting me sometimes and this is not common in the UK

If these people who have seen me irl are telling me I look the exact same irl, then they surely should rate me the same in photos and irl which I look for a fact they would not since its a case where hardly anyone finds my pictures attractive (when they havent seen me irl)

What do you guys think? I asked my brother and he said the only thing he can think of is when I apply filters my base completely changes you cant tell its me, whereas, even though I look far better than the unedited pictures, its still my base (but made worse, with subtle changes to many features but many subtle changes = major difference overall) and you can tell its me. But I just don't know at this point and its really getting to me

Also please don't be like looks shouldn't matter, they do to me and theres a reason why they matter alot which I can't talk about (would need to be its own thread), so please just give me your honest opinion
Reply 1
I would also like to add whenever I have used a photo with a filter as my pfp on whatsapp and people who have met me irl have said I look nothing like that and called me a catfish
Have you considered just not asking people (including strangers) about your looks? I’m not being facetious, you do come across as quite fixated about how others perceive you.
Reply 3
It genuinely doesnt matter what you look like in photos as the majority of your interaction with people will be face-to-face in real life; family, friends, education, work, shopping, doctor, dentist etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Have you considered just not asking people (including strangers) about your looks? I’m not being facetious, you do come across as quite fixated about how others perceive you.

Original post by Surnia
It genuinely doesnt matter what you look like in photos as the majority of your interaction with people will be face-to-face in real life; family, friends, education, work, shopping, doctor, dentist etc.

These are the responses I didn't want, like I said if you're just gonna say 'don't care what people think', please don't leave a reply, that is not the thread question. If you read the last part of my post I addressed this
Original post by Anonymous
These are the responses I didn't want, like I said if you're just gonna say 'don't care what people think', please don't leave a reply, that is not the thread question. If you read the last part of my post I addressed this

If you want a specific response you should prob go ahead and just tell us what it is :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
If you want a specific response you should prob go ahead and just tell us what it is :tongue:

This has been affecting my life deeply so I would really appreciate you not to make jokes
This has been affecting my life deeply so I would really appreciate you not to make jokes

If you are struggling with your self image then approaching strangers to prove/disprove your thoughts is pretty much the most harmful thing imaginable.
Reply 8

I didn't say looks didn't matter, I said it doesn't matter what you look like in photos as most people you deal with won't see them; that's very different.

No-one on here will know why people give the answers they do, and asking random strangers in person or on those stupid 'rate me' apps is pointless. If this affects you, get professional medical help.
I am not photogenic at all and I can tell by looking in the mirror, when I take normal photos without any filters I can very obviously see a difference, my forehead tends to look bigger in photos, my nose looks larger, these subtle differences that make a difference. My family members also agree with me, especially my brother he says he can see a big difference. When I showed them WITHOUT me even mentioning them, they all said the exact same things as I had noticed (forehead looks larger, nose looks bigger, face looks longer etc)

But whenever I ask friends they ALWAYS say I look exactly like my photos irl and I don't look better in person. And I am perplexed because the mirror which is a better representation and not distorted that theres alot of differences in my appearance. But when I ask them and say I think I look better irl, they say I look the same.

Now what I don't understand is the moment I put on filters people are quick to say that looks nothing like me, so its not like they're doing it to be nice.

Today I did an experiment and approached 5 random people and showed them an unedited photo of myself I took there and asked them 'do I look the same in my photos or the better irl', 3 of them said I look the same, 1 said I look better in person because I look very sad in the photo (more to do with expression) and the 5th person said the only difference I can see is that you are pouting your lips in the photo but otherwise you look the same.

Literally every girl gets told she is much more beautiful in real life so its definitely a thing

What confirms further that I don't look like my photos is people who have not seen me irl like on tiktok lives where they do ratings, on dating apps, on other forums people say I am not good looking at all (based off pictures), they rate me like a 4-5/10 but irl I get look backs often when I am walking on the street and I dress fully covered up so I know its my face. I get random strangers complimenting me sometimes and this is not common in the UK

If these people who have seen me irl are telling me I look the exact same irl, then they surely should rate me the same in photos and irl which I look for a fact they would not since its a case where hardly anyone finds my pictures attractive (when they havent seen me irl)

What do you guys think? I asked my brother and he said the only thing he can think of is when I apply filters my base completely changes you cant tell its me, whereas, even though I look far better than the unedited pictures, its still my base (but made worse, with subtle changes to many features but many subtle changes = major difference overall) and you can tell its me. But I just don't know at this point and its really getting to me

Also please don't be like looks shouldn't matter, they do to me and theres a reason why they matter alot which I can't talk about (would need to be its own thread), so please just give me your honest opinion

idk why ur making it so deep. just bc ur friends say you look the same, thats not a bad thing?
Not every girl gets told they look better irl and if you're been seeing this most on social media, maybe you should reevaluate your methods. Not alot of people go around saying "you look prettier irl that your photo" unless you're meeting up with tinder date lmao.

If people r saying that your a 4/5 out of 10 in photos but then people compliment you irl, then there are reasons for that. Your either rubbish at taking pictures or its just the camera. Some cameras tend to take in every detail, intensifying every feature that you have. Also remember that a camera can only take a photo from one angle but irl, people see every angle.

Everyone sees beauty differently and thats the most cliche **** you ever probably wanted to hear but its true.
Do you really want to look better irl that in a photo? i dont see where the compliment or ego boost lies in that. Like yay your a catfish or rubbish at taking pictures lmaoo.
Sorry, idk what you wanted to hear - this was all very confusing

It's quite obvious that you're seeking validation by implying that you look better in person. However, it's important to understand that true beauty is subjective, and what one person finds unattractive, another will find breathtakingly beautiful. In the UK, it's customary for people, especially the elderly, to express admiration for others' appearance. Instead of fishing for compliments, embrace your natural beauty, and rest assured that you are stunning just the way you are. Remember, confidence is the most attractive quality a person can possess.i don't know what I look like in real life because in each mirrors i look at , i look different and my pictures are all very different as well.

take a picture in a professional camera to see how you look like
Reply 11
Take a picture, if you look like someone else....you're holding the phone the wrong way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending