The Student Room Group

difficulty with one aspect of my a level is hindering my performance

so im in my AS year and doing a level maths. Theres 3 exams, core 1, core 2 and stats. Core 1 and stats I'm getting solid Bs and As in, however today at college we did a core 2 mock and i left half way through crying, i couldn't answer one question!!! whenever i try to do past papers i don't even know where to start for core 2, and when revising i just cant do it. We have a different teacher for core 2 than we have for core 1 and stats and she is absolutely crap!! once she was teaching us in lesson and said to the class 'I'm really nervous about doing this question so bare with me'. I know I'm going to get a U in core 2, what can i do to change this?
Is this Edexcel
See if you can ask your other teacher with help on C2 at lunchtimes possibly? Go over the concepts with the better teacher (it shouldn't take too long), and then do lots of past papers.
Reply 3
Original post by The A* guy!
Is this Edexcel

no, OCR MEI
Reply 4
Original post by mrjowanna
See if you can ask your other teacher with help on C2 at lunchtimes possibly? Go over the concepts with the better teacher (it shouldn't take too long), and then do lots of past papers.

I only have like 3 weeks though, thats my problem, he saw me leave crying today so asked if i was ok and said i could come up at lunch but i can't see me going from not being able to answer a single question fully to getting a grade i want. i managed to plant myself a stunning 5/72 in the test today, i may aswell be Einstein hah!!
Reply 5
I'm doing AS levels too and what I did for C2 and stats is I went through each chapter of the book working at whatever I feel I didn't understand and I've managed to get myself from an E to a B in the Core 2 papers I've done. I imagine if you tried that and tried to do a topic a day (or more) with some of the more difficult questions everyday you could finish in about 10 days. I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful but it's worked out for me so hopefully it can work for you too!
Have you tried going "back to basics" with the textbook? I'm not sure about your textbook, but mine (MEI) has a series of exam questions in them group in most exercises. So instead of worrying about past papers for now, do some textbook questions, working up to exam questions in the book (if you have any), and then move onto past papers.
What previous poster said^^.

If it was Edexcel, Core 2 has many concepts as in Core 1, just more advanced. (I do Edexcel).

Try and look at some youtube vidoes on the topic, that usually helps me when I'm extremely stuck.

Quick Reply

Latest