The Student Room Group

Manchester vs St. Andrews

Hello!

So above are my two offers; the deadline is impeding and I need to make a choice but I am utterly clueless. For reasons I'd rather not share I couldn't visit either university and so will (unfortunately) be basing my decision on what I can find online and in prospectuses.

To cut it short:

Studying: Anthropology and Philosophy (combined honours, entry sept 2016)
Offer: conditional AAB from both

Undecided because:-
- I don't know which is the best student life - obviously they are both extremely different universities in almost many aspects, but I don't know if a busy city student life (Manc) is a better experience than some where remote and gorgeously scenic (St A)?
- I like going out and drinking and often do that with friends at home right now.. I am fully aware St A can't offer that to me, will I feel suffocated?
- I don't know if a smaller university (St A) would be more intimate and have a better community feel?
- I genuinely cannot tell which is the better university of the two in terms of academics what with Manchester seeming better globally and St A better nationally?
- St A has such a large intake from independent schools; the stereotype that comes with that intimidates me; I've been to comprehensives my whole life and I would be really worried about fitting in.

I know this is really difficult to respond to as choosing university is such a personal thing, so I understand that it's difficult for anybody on TSR to really help me out - I'm just panicking so any advice at all would be really really valued! Thank you :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by eatingcrisps
Hello!

So above are my two offers; the deadline is impeding and I need to make a choice but I am utterly clueless. For reasons I'd rather not share I couldn't visit either university and so will (unfortunately) be basing my decision on what I can find online and in prospectuses.

To cut it short:

Studying: Anthropology and Philosophy (combined honours, entry sept 2016)
Offer: conditional AAB from both

Undecided because:-
- I don't know which is the best student life - obviously they are both extremely different universities in almost many aspects, but I don't know if a busy city student life (Manc) is a better experience than some where remote and gorgeously scenic (St A)?
- I like going out and drinking and often do that with friends at home right now.. I am fully aware St A can't offer that to me, will I feel suffocated?
- I don't know if a smaller university (St A) would be more intimate and have a better community feel?
- I genuinely cannot tell which is the better university of the two in terms of academics what with Manchester seeming better globally and St A better nationally?
- St A has such a large intake from independent schools; the stereotype that comes with that intimidates me; I've been to comprehensives my whole life and I would be really worried about fitting in.

I know this is really difficult to respond to as choosing university is such a personal thing, so I understand that it's difficult for anybody on TSR to really help me out - I'm just panicking so any advice at all would be really really valued! Thank you :redface:

You would still be able to go out drinking in St. Andrews but presumably your choices will be more in Manchester. From what you're saying it sounds like you're leaning more towards Manchester, do you want to work abroad or in the UK? You have to ask yourself whether you want to be in a big city or in a more remote place. That is only a question which you can answer not anyone on here. Have you read the course modules and see which offers more choice? Have a look at whatsapp and unistats to come to a choice. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending