The Student Room Group

M1 Questions

Hi, could anyone help me on these two questions, firstly 6b could anyone advise me on if I have drawn my triangle right and if not how to actually do that! and where to go from there. Next is questions 7c, I know how to do it, but why don't you only have to use the velocity one why can't you go get I components and j components of r only and then solve for time as j=-i

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505353.576806.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505509.629891.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505516.868066.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Hi, could anyone help me on these two questions, firstly 6b could anyone advise me on if I have drawn my triangle right and if not how to actually do that! and where to go from there. Next is questions 7c, I know how to do it, but why don't you only have to use the velocity one why can't you go get I components and j components of r only and then solve for time as j=-i

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505353.576806.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505509.629891.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1430505516.868066.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite sure what you're asking for 7(c). If it's travelling north westerly, then you know that its velocity is some scalar multiple of j - i so that should be your starting point for solving it.
Original post by davros
Not quite sure what you're asking for 7(c). If it's travelling north westerly, then you know that its velocity is some scalar multiple of j - i so that should be your starting point for solving it.

So if you are finding time your always consider the velocity components, what about questions 6?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jimmy20002012
So if you are finding time your always consider the velocity components, what about questions 6?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Finding time" doesn't have anything to do with it! The question tells you that it's moving in a north-westerly direction; therefore you have to use the velocity components.

I'll leave Q6 for someone else as my relative motion is extremely rusty and I don't want to mislead you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest