The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C4: 16th of June 2015

Couldn't find the thread for this exam.

I feel confident content-wise, except an odd ellipse question can be tricky. Just wondering if people are bothering to go through comprehension papers, or is there no point in revising them?

Scroll to see replies

The comprehension paper is pretty much general maths from C1-C4 but it tests how you can apply it with a different scenario.
Do 1 or 2 to get the hang of it but other than that focus on the main paper
Section A = :smile:
Section b = :frown:
I get it when i look at the mark scheme, its just knowing what method i need to use. Once iv got that sorted, everything is good.
Reply 3
C4 seems easier than C3 at the moment for me. But in both im just about getting the hang of section A then I lose all my marks on section B, I just cant seem to understand what to do at all :frown: I want to do maths at uni so I need an A overall:frown: I got 78, 84 and 93 UMS last year so what would I need this year in my 3 exams to get an A overall?
[QUOTE=Rosie:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];55605765]C4 seems easier than C3 at the moment for me. But in both im just about getting the hang of section A then I lose all my marks on section B, I just cant seem to understand what to do at all :frown: I want to do maths at uni so I need an A overall:frown: I got 78, 84 and 93 UMS last year so what would I need this year in my 3 exams to get an A overall?

You have 255 UMS marks at the moment so you'd need about 225 more for an A which is 480/600 UMS :yep:

What do you get stuck on normally in section B?
You're not alone about C3 being harder than C4, the functions part annoys me but I like C4 it's much easier as I do further maths too:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Leechayy
You have 255 UMS marks at the moment so you'd need about 225 more for an A which is 480/600 UMS :yep:

What do you get stuck on normally in section B?
You're not alone about C3 being harder than C4, the functions part annoys me but I like C4 it's much easier as I do further maths too:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I could get like 90 on S2 and then that would mean I could get B's in C3 and C4 and still get an A? I dont know I guess I never know what they want me to do. Like I can learn a topic and do practise questions but when it gets to doing a past paper I dont know what to do to tackle the question :frown: Yeah I like C4 section A because I find the bits like partial fractions and binomial expansion are good to get your marks up:smile:
[QUOTE=Rosie:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];55606805]So I could get like 90 on S2 and then that would mean I could get B's in C3 and C4 and still get an A? I dont know I guess I never know what they want me to do. Like I can learn a topic and do practise questions but when it gets to doing a past paper I dont know what to do to tackle the question :frown: Yeah I like C4 section A because I find the bits like partial fractions and binomial expansion are good to get your marks up:smile:

Pretty much, you could do that:yep:
Same way you could get 100% in C4 and scrape an A in C3 and potentially get an A*:smug:

Focus on section B then from this point on, it's usually limited to either double angle stuff, vectors and/or differential equations. Once you get used to this, it'll be a cinch:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hope those stupid abstract trig questions do not come up in section B. Other than that it's a simple test.
I hate section b on this paper. I really want an A* but section b is just ....
Anyone got any tips ?
I would really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
How is everyone revising? By Friday I'll have been through every C3, C4 and S2 paper. Do you think this is enough to get me a possible A*? Or should I be revising via other resources too?
Original post by tuck91
How is everyone revising? By Friday I'll have been through every C3, C4 and S2 paper. Do you think this is enough to get me a possible A*? Or should I be revising via other resources too?

I think it's enough however if there are any areas you feel weak on i would find other sources so I could practice more questions other than those available from past papers
I predict abstract trigonometry and parametric equations for the section B questions, and a difficult comprehension, as the previous one was very easy.
Btw does anyone have/have access to the ebook textbook for C3/C4?

Would be appreciated since I've lost my textbook and I don't want to buy a new one just for a month.
Vectors for me are not good, anyone have a link to any good videos on them?
I'm really bad at differential equations, I feel like I never know what the question is asking me to do; sometimes you have to differentiate, sometimes intergrate, and sometimes differentiate then sub the original equation in and idk

I've tried all the questions on differential equations from past papers so I can't keep going over the same ones, does anyone have any suggestions for where to find more questions which fit within the spec??
Reply 16
Original post by AlexParmenter
I'm really bad at differential equations, I feel like I never know what the question is asking me to do; sometimes you have to differentiate, sometimes intergrate, and sometimes differentiate then sub the original equation in and idk

I've tried all the questions on differential equations from past papers so I can't keep going over the same ones, does anyone have any suggestions for where to find more questions which fit within the spec??

integral website?
I need 81 ums on this paper to get an A*. I got 99 ums on C3 last year. So not much pressure for me, but I am still aiming for 100 ums on this paper :smile:
Original post by Infamous7
I need 81 ums on this paper to get an A*. I got 99 ums on C3 last year. So not much pressure for me, but I am still aiming for 100 ums on this paper :smile:

I thought you need at least 90% in c3 and c4 for an a*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla
I thought you need at least 90% in c3 and c4 for an a*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you need to average 90 in both c3 and c4 to get an A* grade. 81+99= 180. 180/2=90

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending