The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics 1MAO/1H - 4th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for this TeeEm. However, the attachment doesn't seem to work as it is somehow 'invalid'.
Can you try re-postig it whenever you're free, please? :smile:.
Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. Works perfectly when you quote it :P.
Reply 21
Original post by Chittesh14
Thanks for this TeeEm. However, the attachment doesn't seem to work as it is somehow 'invalid'.
Can you try re-postig it whenever you're free, please? :smile:.
Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. Works perfectly when you quote it :P.

just re-sposted
try it
Reply 22
Can someone give me some good ways to revise maths and help me out. I'm constantly getting mid-Bs and I'm sure that I can do better since I'm getting higher grades in other subjects.

What revision methods do you use, and do you have any revision resources that can help me get an A grade overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
just re-sposted
try it

Works fine, thanks :smile:!

Original post by chrmndr
Can someone give me some good ways to revise maths and help me out. I'm constantly getting mid-Bs and I'm sure that I can do better since I'm getting higher grades in other subjects.

What revision methods do you use, and do you have any revision resources that can help me get an A grade overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Maths is a tough subject but very easy to ace if you put in the effort and don't give up. I've got a book which I use as a resource and I think it'd be quite late for you to buy it as it'd take time to deliver. However, there are millions of revision sources including the websites I've posted on this thread that you can use to revise. Just do past papers, from 2010 - 2014 (Linear) and mark them yourself or ask someone to mark it for you - be honest. Whatever question you get wrong, go over that topic and see if you get it correct the next time. This way, you are learning from your mistakes and weaknesses. If you do this, there is no way you can get anything lower than an A*. Revise and learn.
Who wants to help me with sine and cosine graphs I haven't learned it. Well I haven't learned most things but I still get B's without revision in mock exams.
Original post by khushnoodles
Who wants to help me with sine and cosine graphs I haven't learned it. Well I haven't learned most things but I still get B's without revision in mock exams.

Hey buddy, I'd love to help you :smile:. What do you mean by sine and cosine graphs, can you be specific please? Like do you mean graphs of sinx°, cosx° and tanx°.
Also, what do you need help on - how to remember the values of y when sin of
is a certain value. For example, sin 90° is 1. Do you have trouble remembering those values?
Hey buddy, I'd love to help you :smile:. What do you mean by sine and cosine graphs, can you be specific please? Like do you mean graphs of sinx°, cosx° and tanx°.
Also, what do you need help on - how to remember the values of y when sin of
is a certain value. For example, sin 90° is 1. Do you have trouble remembering those values?

Yeah :smile: so, I need help on graphs of sinx°, cosx° and tanx° and it would be awesome to know the values of y when sin, cos and tan of is a certain value.
I haven't really learnt it so I need to know much as possible.:smile: Thanks
Yeah :smile: so, I need help on graphs of sinx°, cosx° and tanx° and it would be awesome to know the values of y when sin, cos and tan of is a certain value.

That's alright :P. It'd be great for me to help you then! I doubt you need to know the tan of as it's a bit too advanced I think. It's not needed in my GCSE Maths Syllabus as far as I know, so it wouldn't be needed to learn. However, sine and cosine graphs are extremely important to learn. Therefore, I'll tell you a technique tomorrow on how to learn them as today I'm pretty busy :/ sorry - I've been lazy. There is a pattern which will help you in the exam if you learn it :smile:.

I haven't really learnt it so I need to know much as possible.:smile: Thanks

I'll teach you a lot, don't worry :smile:.
That's alright :P. It'd be great for me to help you then! I doubt you need to know the tan of as it's a bit too advanced I think. It's not needed in my GCSE Maths Syllabus as far as I know, so it wouldn't be needed to learn. However, sine and cosine graphs are extremely important to learn. Therefore, I'll tell you a technique tomorrow on how to learn them as today I'm pretty busy :/ sorry - I've been lazy. There is a pattern which will help you in the exam if you learn it :smile:.

I'll teach you a lot, don't worry :smile:.

Alight:smile: thanks
Alight:smile: thanks

Trigonometry can be used to determine the lengths of sides in a right-angled triangle and the co-ordinates of a certain point. A rotation of 400° is one complete revolution of 360° plus a further rotation of 40°. The position of P is the same in a diagram, so (cos 400°, sin 400°) is the same point as (cos 40°, sin 40°), therefore cos 400° = cos 40° and sin 400° = sin 40°. A rotation of -40° means the line rotates through 40° in a clockwise direction.

The sine and cosine of any angle can be found using your calculator. Using these values the graphs of y = sin θ°
and y = cos θ° can be drawn.

Just remember:

Graph of y = sin θ°

The graph of y = sin θ°:
- cuts the θ (x) axis at... -180, 0, 180, 360, 540...
So, it'd be great to think of it as sine graphs start at -180 degrees (even though they can go beyond that -360 etc) but keep it simple. They start at -180 degrees and cut the x-axis (where y is 0) every 180° of θ.
- Repeats itself every 360°, that is, it has a period of 360°.
It will start from the same point and go in the same direction every 360°. As you can see at -90° goes upwards till 0°. Similarly, at 270° it goes upwards till 360°.
- It has a maximum value of 1 at θ° = ... 90, 450 ...
Just think of it as it reaches its maximum value again every 360°.
- It has a minimum value of -1 at θ° = ... -90, 270 ...
Same thing, just think of it as it reaches its minimum value every 360°.

Key point to remember: Sine graphs change from their maximum to minimum values and reverse - minimum to maximum values every 180°. For example, at -90°, the graph is at its minimum value = -1. After 180°, it is at 90° = its maximum value = 1. Similarly, it goes on as a cycle.

SINE GRAPH

Sorry, I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands - I'm so lazy lol. I've spent about 35 minutes writing this up as it's very difficult to summarise this and I have to often use my textbook to help me as this is a hard topic to remember :P. I'll do the cosine graph tomorrow :smile:.
Reply 34
continued from post 32

Attachment not found

continues in post 33
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
continued from post 33

Attachment not found

continues in post 34
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
continued from post 33

Attachment not found

continues in post 40
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
continued from post 33

Attachment not found

Thank you TeeEm for keeping this thread live :biggrin:.
I've just realised that I haven't even spent any time in these three days as I've been doing other stuff and also due to my laziness. Today, later on - I'll be adding one more question and posting model solutions to it I hope :biggrin:.
Let's keep the thread live! I'm so frightened now as I've got GCSE Maths in 1 week and I haven't even started revising...
Thank you TeeEm for keeping this thread live :biggrin:.
I've just realised that I haven't even spent any time in these three days as I've been doing other stuff and also due to my laziness. Today, later on - I'll be adding one more question and posting model solutions to it I hope :biggrin:.
Let's keep the thread live! I'm so frightened now as I've got GCSE Maths in 1 week and I haven't even started revising...

Don't worry you have plenty of time ; aswell as maths I have 14 other exams xD
Reply 39
continued from 37

Attachment not found

continues in post 41
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending