The Student Room Group

Stats help

Hello friends

I've been struggling on the attached question for some time and I really do not know where to begin. The question seems easy enough but still!

Is the name of the distribution a discrete uniform distribution? What would the probabilities of P(X=4) and P(X<4) be? And E(X)?

Any help is very very much appreciated.

Thanks
No it's not discrete uniform.

What other distributions do you know that it might be? Specifically, what distributions count the number of attempts until a success? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I really do not know. I self-taught this topic and so there are probably gaps in my knowledge. If you could tell me I'd be most grateful as the exam is only a few days away!
Original post by abuzayd
I really do not know. I self-taught this topic and so there are probably gaps in my knowledge. If you could tell me I'd be most grateful as the exam is only a few days away!

Does the geometric distribution ring any bells?
Reply 4
I'm afraid it doesn't. :s-smilie:

How can it be used to answer this question. Please provide me with the solutions so that I can use it as an example alongside any reading I do on geometric distribution.

Many many thanks
Reply 5
Original post by abuzayd
I'm afraid it doesn't. :s-smilie:

How can it be used to answer this question. Please provide me with the solutions so that I can use it as an example alongside any reading I do on geometric distribution.

Many many thanks

I won't give the solution - but the formulae can be found here: http://www.brighton-webs.co.uk/distributions/Images/geometric_200.gif
Reply 6
That's helpful. Thank you.

Could you explain why the geometric distribution applies here? And what assumptions there are?

And ill tRy and apply the formula and work through the questions myself.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest