The Student Room Group

The UK is done for ..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sparkle24
What is Sharia law?

Basically a law in Islam (or arabic countries dunno) where women have to wear burkhas and stuff.
Original post by CrimsonRainDrops
Basically a law in Islam (or arabic countries dunno) where women have to wear burkhas and stuff.

Thank you for answering the question.
Thank you for answering the question.

Either me or some smelly chav was going to describe it in an abusive way.
What is Sharia law?

They are also laws made by Islamic scholars when the Quran does not sufficiently explain or regulate a certain issue. This tends to happen with modern technology which did not exist at the time of Mohammed and therefore is not addressed in the Quran, Hadith, etc.
Original post by RobML
sensationalist

I have never been able to make much sense of this adjective.
Oh and OP, as much as I hate it, the left have been and unfortunately will be, dictating the future of this country.

Get used to it or emigrate.
Reply 8
That is not Sharia it is men in front and women behind not side by side.
Britain has a long and continuing history of gender segregation..... schools, gentlemen's clubs, golf clubs, working men's clubs, etc. When you combine gender segregation with Islam and foreign looking people, it is seen as the collapse of civilisation.

It is like animal welfare. The vast majority of people don't care about animal welfare, except when you throw in the word Halal. Then everyone on the right becomes PETA activists.

But that is collective hysteria for you.
Reply 10
So will you be voting UKIP then?
Original post by CrimsonRainDrops
Either me or some smelly chav was going to describe it in an abusive way.

http://www.billionbibles.org/sharia/sharia-law.html <---- sharia law
Reply 12
Original post by Quantex
Britain has a long and continuing history of gender segregation..... schools, gentlemen's clubs, golf clubs, working men's clubs, etc. When you combine gender segregation with Islam and foreign looking people, it is seen as the collapse of civilisation.

It is like animal welfare. The vast majority of people don't care about animal welfare, except when you throw in the word Halal. Then everyone on the right becomes PETA activists.

But that is collective hysteria for you.

I am in agreement that much of this stems from hysteria but that comparison hardly seems appropriate. There is a difference between male only social or sporting associations/clubs and the situation that photo appears to refer to. Referring to the former as segregation also seems a bit strong (although I suppose it's technically correct terminology).

Leaving aside schools, the existence of male or female only clubs does not really have much, if any, effect on society. They do not impose their policies on anyone, and under freedom of association (which necessarily implies a certain freedom to discriminate) they are perfectly entitled to behave in that way. Moreover, they do not practice segregation in any other sphere, only in specific and limited circumstances.

I can't really comment on schools since I don't really know the original reasons why they decided to only educate boys or girls. Although I suppose there is again no suggestion of the segregation imposed there being extended beyond the school gates into society.

I agree the photo is blatantly inflammatory (and frankly needs further explanation since I don't really know what it is/where it comes from/etc...), but it does illustrate the difference. No member of a gentleman's club or male only golf club would think it appropriate to impose club rules in a general, public setting such as a political meeting. However some elements of Islam, although by no means all, do seem to think they must impose their rules upon everyone, everywhere at all times. That surely goes beyond what we can reasonably accommodate in society.
Reply 13
The man in that interview has a very strange understanding of economics if he thinks the collapse of the Western Economies would not destroy China and Russia.
We already have sharia law, if you didn't know
Reply 15
Religion robs you of your right to think or feel freely, it is slavery, it encourages self-denial through oppressive laws that benefit no one. Why suffer? To be closer to Christ? What a load of gibberish, that's exactly what military leaders tell their soldiers, suffering is good and you should get over it and not complain about the abuses we profit from.
Original post by whorace
Religion robs you of your right to think or feel freely, it is slavery, it encourages self-denial through oppressive laws that benefit no one. Why suffer? To be closer to Christ? What a load of gibberish, that's exactly what military leaders tell their soldiers, suffering is good and you should get over it and not complain about the abuses we profit from.

No Protestantism causes you to be free. As you constrain your action internally rather than the government having to do it. Also no we don't do it to be closer to Christ, we do it because it improves our life.
Every election ever: "The country is going to be destroyed".

Enough already.
Reply 18
Well we do already have Shari'a courts so it's not a completely far fetched idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BasicMistake
They are also laws made by Islamic scholars when the Quran does not sufficiently explain or regulate a certain issue. This tends to happen with modern technology which did not exist at the time of Mohammed and therefore is not addressed in the Quran, Hadith, etc.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending