The Student Room Group

Help with Dual Nationality and Residential Category in UCAS application!!!!!

Someone please help!!!
I am about to submit my UCAS application but I need help in sorting out my personal details: for context I am Nigerian , born in Nigeria and moved to the UK at a young age. I've been here for half if not all my life ( done my primary , secondary and year 1 sixth form education here so far). I have...family issues so I am unable to ask or find out the exact date on when I arrived in the UK , however I done some digging at home and found some NHS documents that state I had my earliest vaccine at 15/07/2010. I don't know for certain whether this is the date I arrived in the UK ..yeah so I don't know how to use this information...prior to this information I made an educated guess on when I cam to the UK and placed some random date on September 2008. I researched online and somewhere it states on my passport I would find my date of entry in the UK...yet I am unable to find it???...again family issues...so the passport I have been looking at is a photo , not the actual one... but the image is up to date and is an image of the front and second page of my passport ( if this is a sign to dig for my passport and find the date of entry I would do so , just say the word).
Moreover I've been doing some research and I am still confused on whether I should place myself as a settled status as I have a leave to remain document or a UK citizen-England , as I've been staying here for more than 5 years?? I feel like I would be more eligible for the settled status as I don't have a British passport yet- however I don't know whether the settled status is for leave to remain visa status and not just indefinite leave to remain-which are 2 different things I think... and I don't know whether the Universities will differentiate between me and an international student???
The moral of the story is that I'm undecided on whether I am a UK citizen or settled status , if I am a settled status I don't know what date to use for the date of entry in the UK part or how I go about completing the dual nationality section as well
someone please helppp , I have to complete this application extremely soon( my school's inner deadline is in 3 days)
thaank you :smile:
When people say you can tell from your passport, they mean the one you used when you came to the UK, not your current one. Dig up your old passport and you'll find it was stamped with the date in which you entered the UK.

If you don't know if you're a British citizen, then you probably aren't. You don't get automatically given nationality, you need to apply for it - if I were you, I'd apply for it whenever you can. It's expensive but worth it.

You say you have a document which says you have leave to remain. This is different to settled status (settled status relates to EU citizens only) so don't put that you have settled status! Indefinite leave to remain is also a different thing to leave to remain and again, if you lack the documentation that states that you have indefinite leave to remain, then you probably don't.

Will the universities consider you a home or international student? You can check the UKCISA guidelines and find what the rules are on England here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-HE-fee-status

Hope you found this helpful and another piece of advice... it is extremely worrying you have issues preventing you from accessing important information about your immigration status in the UK so you need to get all the information you need from your family and start taking an active interest and role in knowing, maintaining and updating your own immigration status in the UK. Please talk with your school about this.
Original post by Scotland Yard
When people say you can tell from your passport, they mean the one you used when you came to the UK, not your current one. Dig up your old passport and you'll find it was stamped with the date in which you entered the UK.

If you don't know if you're a British citizen, then you probably aren't. You don't get automatically given nationality, you need to apply for it - if I were you, I'd apply for it whenever you can. It's expensive but worth it.

You say you have a document which says you have leave to remain. This is different to settled status (settled status relates to EU citizens only) so don't put that you have settled status! Indefinite leave to remain is also a different thing to leave to remain and again, if you lack the documentation that states that you have indefinite leave to remain, then you probably don't.

Will the universities consider you a home or international student? You can check the UKCISA guidelines and find what the rules are on England here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-HE-fee-status

Hope you found this helpful and another piece of advice... it is extremely worrying you have issues preventing you from accessing important information about your immigration status in the UK so you need to get all the information you need from your family and start taking an active interest and role in knowing, maintaining and updating your own immigration status in the UK. Please talk with your school about this.

Hi , thank you so much for your fast response, when you talked about the stamp in the passport…did you mean only in my passport or the person who took to me to the Uk aka my guardian? I’ve done some digging just now and I found some documents and I only came across my guardian’s passport stamp not mine ? would that still be valid ???
thanks again :smile:
Original post by Scotland Yard

I have done some research and I have come across a point that states: " You are a non EU national who is permanently resident outside the European Union. You should select this category even if you have been living temporarily in another country for work or study. If you are UK or EU citizen living permanently outside the UK or EU you should also select this category." in regards to the Overseas/Other category in the residential category the website has. My point is that the point the website states about living in a resident outside the EU as a non EU national... would that be relevant to me? since the UK is outside the EU and I live in the UK...and I am not an EU national..?? However again..I don't know whether or how the unis will differentiate between me and an international student??
I know the UCAS website just has the other section on the residential category, however I'm still confused??
Finally..is this important... am I stressing over nothing?? should I just put UK citizen or whatever on UCAS and then when my application is submitted explain my situation after?? I'm confused on how I go about explain this to teachers or others and what effect it has on my immigration status etc.
Original post by adamant-tailspin
Hi , thank you so much for your fast response, when you talked about the stamp in the passport…did you mean only in my passport or the person who took to me to the Uk aka my guardian? I’ve done some digging just now and I found some documents and I only came across my guardian’s passport stamp not mine ? would that still be valid ???
thanks again :smile:

It should be on your passport too, but I suppose your guardian's passport stamp will suffice to get the correct date.

Original post by adamant-tailspin
I have done some research and I have come across a point that states: " You are a non EU national who is permanently resident outside the European Union. You should select this category even if you have been living temporarily in another country for work or study. If you are UK or EU citizen living permanently outside the UK or EU you should also select this category." in regards to the Overseas/Other category in the residential category the website has. My point is that the point the website states about living in a resident outside the EU as a non EU national... would that be relevant to me? since the UK is outside the EU and I live in the UK...and I am not an EU national..?? However again..I don't know whether or how the unis will differentiate between me and an international student??
I know the UCAS website just has the other section on the residential category, however I'm still confused??
Finally..is this important... am I stressing over nothing?? should I just put UK citizen or whatever on UCAS and then when my application is submitted explain my situation after?? I'm confused on how I go about explain this to teachers or others and what effect it has on my immigration status etc.

Trust the student finance website more over anything I tell you (the Home Office does like to make things incredibly confusing so trust them more than me!). If it tells you to select an option because you're not an EU national permanently resident outside of the EU, well... that's you, select that option. I sent you a link on my previous post that will tell you the guidelines on how universities classify students, you'll be able to tell if you will be classed as an international or home student. It's likely that some universities might ask you to fill out an additional questionnaire or ask you to provide certain documentation to classify you.

If you're unsure on how to fill anything on UCAS, seek help in your school.

This is important, and you're not stressing over nothing. Your right to remain and study in this country depends on your immigration status. And these visas and things, they expire, you know? You need to keep an eye on them so you can fix anything and apply for the correct visas in due time. You should be fine for now but please, find out exactly what visa are you/your family on, when does it expire, when to renew it or change it for a better visa...

And finally, do not put you are a UK citizen if you are not one. That is fraud, grounds for cancelling your UCAS application and the withdrawal of any offers you might have received, and potentially more (governments really don't like people who lie about their nationality). Please speak with your family, school, and/or contact the Home Office for help with clarifying your situation.
If you are in any doubt, I would put international, then go through the fee reassessment process with any uni that you get an offer from. They'll advise what documentation that you need to provide. As above, it sounds like you have been physically ordinarily resident in the UK for some time, but your actual residency status is unclear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending